26' or smaller bunkhouse?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Detroit_Iron, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Been tossing around the idea of selling the pup and getting into a TT for a little while now. I looked into the trailmanors and hybrids and have decided a TT will fit our needs better. I would like to keep it at or under 26'. It has to be a bunkhouse and a single slide only preferred. I've played around on Google and can't find hardly any models that fit our needs. Most bunkhouse seem to start at 28' and up. I looked at a few 28' that are within my payload/tow ratings but would really like something a tad smaller. I did find a Coleman one online but I'm not interested in that brand. Anybody have any first hand experience with a small bunkhouse? Or any suggestions to look at would be fantastic

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We have a Fun Finder 240X BH. We have the one without the slide although they do make a slide version for more interior room. At the time we purchased it, Peter didn't want to have moving parts that might fail at some point and need repair. He also felt that we didn't need the slide because he didn't want to encourage us to be spending time inside the camper when we should be outside in nature [;)]

We have been very happy with the quality of our camper and the various components. My only complaint is that the furnace is loud! To avoid the loud furnace we bring a small space heater.

We absolutely LOVE the extra storage door to access the storage under the lower bunk bed.

Here is a link to the photo album from when we first bought it last year. http://s170.photobucket.com/user/paingham/library/2008%20Finfinder%20X240?sort=3&page=1

3. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

That's exactly the type of trailer I'm looking for!! Thanks for posting, now I'm off to research

4. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Check out KZ's website too. They have some smaller birdhouses.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

5. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

6. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I don't know why Google gave me such difficulties when I searched for these? That's a nice looking trailer bud121156!!!

I'm actually really liking this KZ one also
    http://kz-rv.com/vision/V23BHS.html

Starting to get a list going on the pros and cons between these trailers that are being suggested.... thanks for all the help everyone! And keep em' coming

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

NO!! The weight your interested in is the 6862lb GVWR of the trailer... not the fictitious dry weight, never seen anyone go camping with a dry trailer ..

Depending on the TV's rating, look at Keystone, in particular the Outback line.. the 21RS (now the 210RS) is a 21ft box (in tow mode) and 25ft box in camp mode...

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I can't help you with a 26' trailer but I know that the below brands offered a bunkhouse model under 20' so perhaps they have one in the bigger sizes.
    Viking
    Jayco jay feather
    KZ sportsman
    Clipper

Finding used may be a problem that is where I'm stuck. Good luck with your search.

9. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

As long as I can keep the GVWR at or under 7k and the TW at or under 600lbs and the trailer at or below 26' would feel more than comfortable towing with my TV.

10. bud121156

Snow is right, Jim, notice the NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) on the model you liked above is 1,060 and the GVWR is only 5,200.

11. Jeepin Dad

Jeepin Dad New Member

This is probably my favorite feature on ours, the bottom bunk folds up and I can fit our ez-up, camp chairs, a couple of 6' youth kayaks and more in this space.

[​IMG]

The other thing I really like is ours came with a full 60 x 80 Queen, it made upgrading the mattress easier, I stole the one from our guest room and put it in the camper. Now our house guests can deal with the cheap RV mattress, it discourages them from staying too long [:D]

12. xshield

xshield New Member

Evergreen makes some really nice models. I bit pricey but may have what you are looking for. They boast that their units are lightweight and "eco" friendly. I've seen up close the Igo 239BH and 256BH. Both models looked well made and functional.

http://www.goevergreenrv.com/

13. opie232

opie232 Member

14. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

We looked at that same tracer air at the general rv show here in Michigan last February. That's the camper that my wife fell in love with and got us on this path looking for a TT (it was the brown exterior color) I was extremely impressed with the quality.. I was looking at there website before I posted here for a smaller one with bunks and a slide out. A 29' footer makes me nervous with just a half ton truck, I know it's light but the length scares me lol

15. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Oops--bunkhouses

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

16. bud121156

That was my thinking too, Detroit_Iron.

17. opie232

opie232 Member

I know its 29' but I calculated rougly 22 percent below my max weight with this unit. I am always worried about safety when towing. I shiukd have biught the 3/4 ton. My cousin did pull a 32' Somerset with his 1/2 ton dodge for a while with no issues. Granted the farthest they would go is travers city from chicago.

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

As long as the GVWR of the trailer is within the towing limits of the truck there should be no issues towing with a 1/2 ton, now a lot of this also comes down to how comfortable you are towing to begin with...

19. Popupbenji

Popupbenji Member

I'm going to tell you I looked also maybe in a few years for us but the keystone outback 210rs is a great trailer built by a too manufacture that's been around longer than anyone you can find used ones but there very scarce check them out

A family that camps together are happy campers

20. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We have a 2012 jayco X213, rear King slide bunks up front. Cabin 21' closed and 27' open.