270 degree awning

jux

May 21, 2018
I modified a 1992 Coleman pop up into a bar. I wanted to add a 270 degree awning to it but am worried about the weight on the roof. I've read that the roof can hold up to 200lbs and that the structural part is the side. The awning I am interested in weighs 53 pounds. I don't have any canvas installed but do have ~20 pound TV installed on the roof pillars. Am I going to cause a structural issue mounting 53 pounds to the side of the roof? I would use a backer plate extending the length of the roof to distribute the weight but I don't know if the pillars are going to be able to handle that weight on one side.

This is the awning https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...lack-cover-universal/#product-tab-description.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
My thinking is the strain on the lift system since all the weight is going to be on one side. The roof I think will be OK so long as you don't have an AC unit on it as well. If you think about it an AC is mostly centered vrs an awning.

jux

May 21, 2018
My thinking is the strain on the lift system since all the weight is going to be on one side. The roof I think will be OK so long as you don't have an AC unit on it as well. If you think about it an AC is mostly centered vrs an awning.

It's an open sided bar on all 4 sides so the only A/C is the wind blowing through [:D]. Your thought is much the same as mine. The weight rating probably assumes a centered load vs a lot of the weight on one side. I would think at very least there would be a tendency for the roof to lean to the awning side. Maybe offset the roof weight on the other side with a dummy 50lb weight? That would be a maximum of 123 pounds with everything I have mounted to the pillars.

bupkis

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
I'm suggesting you support the lift arms not the end of the awning.
ie taking weight off the cables once lifted into place, I did it from time to time with out stuff on the roof.

2x4 or similar work well between the top of the box to under the roof side. You can do all 4

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Only other thing may be to anchor the opposit side, so you dont get a lean. Otherwise you should be good.

jux

May 21, 2018
I'm suggesting you support the lift arms not the end of the awning.
ie taking weight off the cables once lifted into place, I did it from time to time with out stuff on the roof.

2x4 or similar work well between the top of the box to under the roof side. You can do all 4
Gotcha, I didn’t think about the strain on the cables but that is great advice.

SHFL

Jan 6, 2015
Florida
Remember, with Coleman pop-ups, the door is the “safety” support for the roof.
If you aren't using/installing the door, you should use extra supports near the lift arms like bupkis said.

jux

May 21, 2018
Remember, with Coleman pop-ups, the door is the “safety” support for the roof.
If you aren't using/installing the door, you should use extra supports near the lift arms like bupkis said.
I was pondering that last night. The way the bar is constructed that bar top goes all the way around the edge so putting a 2x4 or some other device between the roof top and the top of the bar would not be feasible
I believe I can put a safety support under the aluminum square tube that holds the TV. That bar is bolted to the top of the lift arm through the bracket that attaches to the roof. I believe that I can use an aluminum square tube just behind the bar top from the square tube to the floor and use pins to attach it to a receiver at both the top and bottom.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Got a picture or drawing? It could sit on top of the bar and go to the roof? Just covering the posts? Slide it in and out.

jux

May 21, 2018
@Sjm9911 Got a picture or drawing? It could sit on top of the bar and go to the roof? Just covering the posts? Slide it in and out.

Covering the posts might be an issue becuase of the clearance between the pillar and the bar top. The bar tops are epoxy coated and having a post rest directly on them would probably cause damage to the finish. I think the look would be thrown off too. I have a few picture below showing the clearance, attachment of the aluminum square tube to the pillar and where I could put a post between the square tube and floor just behind the bar top.

PXL_20220826_135056949.jpg PXL_20220826_135139641.jpg PXL_20220826_135221733.jpg

Last edited:

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Create a U shape out of 2x3 or something on the putside of the lift arms, add felt to the bottem of it. Stain and paint to match the bar top. Raise roof, put in supports, lower onto supports. Could even be pine boards, dosent need to be big if you do all the posts, and you only need 1/4 inch ply on the outside to finish it off. It will look good.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
I think I need to see pictures of the bar!! And then some ideas on how to get it into my basement! [:D]