2K Generator from Aldi's

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Whopper14, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Whopper14

Whopper14 Member

Waited patiently for Aldi's to mark down generator, got it for $250 today. I believe it is actually made by Champion. Same specs as Honda/Harbor Freight. Fired it up works very well. Don't really boondock but for $250 had to by it.

No AC in my pup, can I plug my pup into the generator to charge my battery or is that unwise?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I do. At the same time, I'm charging all my other stuff - two more group 27 batteries, phones and other electronics.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

They come in handy for other things too. Fine example is here, we had hurricane Michael I used the one for the TT ( 4000 w) we had some lights in the house and kept the reefer and freezer cold as well as the satellite going so we could keep up with events, meanwhile I used a 2500 unit to power the TT and we had hot showers, ac, and over the air television, so we got thru it for 10 days comfortably before we finally got power.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I looked at that one, they have been getting cheap. However it did not have a 30amp socket so it would not be a good for for my needs to power A/C. Great price though.

Make sure you break it in real well. Google it - like all the cheap generators their quality can be spotty so you need to make sure it is properly broken in before really using it and stay on top of oil changes.

Enjoy your new toy!

5. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I have a Ryobi one I bought for way more then that during a long power outage. It runs very well, but it does not have enough startup watts to run my AC sadly. It has enough watts to run it, but not start it.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Never power the ac from a generator, you will burn it out( the ac). Even your home ac, dont use the generator.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I think you are off base on that. You just need to have one that has enough overhead in it to support the A/C. Millions of RVs, campers and remote homesteads doing it. You run into problems with a too small generator though.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok start up power was smaller then i expected. So around 3500 watts they state. I thought the rule of thumb was 2.5 the running rate? Still thats a big genenerator for camping. For the home central ac its another story, i still wouldent try it. You would need a massave generator at start up.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Is this an inverter generator? Many of them put out cleaner power than your wall outlet.

10. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

You might try to add a hard start kit to the AC. It may be enough, or maybe not.

11. Whopper14

Whopper14 Member

What about grounding generator. Manual says to ground, I assume some sort of cable stake assembly. What do most people use, if anything at all. I don't recall seeing anything of that sort when I have seen people using generators.