2nd Annual SW-PA Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by phager76, Sep 24, 2018.

2019 Spring Rally Location

Poll closed Oct 15, 2018.
  1. Keystone State Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ohiopyle State Park

100.0%
  3. Raccoon Creek State Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pymatuning State Park - Jamestown

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. phager76

phager76 Active Member

So, I'm super late in posting this up, but since camping season is winding down here in PA, I figure what better time to start planning for 2019! 2018 was pretty awesome and I really appreciate the turnout we had given the cooler weather, let's see if we can top it for 2019!

The choices for this years rally are as follow:

Keystone State Park:
    This is a pretty nice small park, the lake is really pretty, and there's a couple of nice trails nearby. Rhiannon caught her first fish here, so the fishing isn't too bad. Not a lot to do nearby, but Latrobe isn't too far away.

Ohiopyle:
    Tons of hiking trails in the park. Falling Waters is nearby, and the town of Ohiopyle has a nice visitors center and is pretty quaint. Fair warning, it can get chilly in the early season, and we had snow the last time we went in spring.

Raccoon Creek:
    This was where the rally was held last year. Not a lot to do nearby, but very scenic and quite.

Pymatuning:
    Always a popular destination. The deer Farm is about 15 minutes away. Spillway with the carp is pretty close too. There's also a railroad museum nearby if I remember correctly.

All of these are winners in my opinion, I've enjoyed staying at all these campgrounds. So I leave it up to you where we go this year!

I'll leave the poll running for 3 weeks, then we'll select dates.

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

my vote will depend on dates, I will be at raccoon creek, April 27th. Already for a dutch oven gathering, depending on dates my 2 interests would be either raccoon, or Ohiopyle

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

looking on the thread looks like Ohioplyle is leading the Location Poll, I am NOT going to vote quite yet, however would be good with any of the campgrounds , as I like them all... waiting for date poll to see my options, as mentioned before, last weekend in April I am already booked at Raccoon, and the weekend before is Easter. so those weekends would be out for me. but would consider early May as a option for sure.

4. phager76

phager76 Active Member

No worries, I'll rule out those dates from the poll on dates (which I'll do after this on runs it course). I'm thinking early May for the dates this year, since it was still pretty chilly last year.

5. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

Glad I checked for a spring rally. After missing both rallies this year I'm having withdrawals. You folks are a great group.

phager76 and crosbys2008 like this.
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Never been to ohiopile. We like to go to diffrent campgrounds. Ohiopile is our first choice, followed by keystones.

Pat I will bring an extra heater. Lol.

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Horseshoe, WV :D

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

never been there, but do know the area somewhat, always went to Black water falls in my younger days I frequent the Clarksburg area quite often , and occasionally get to the east panhandle, was in a town called Cortland about 6 months ago.

9. WVhillbilly

About 15 minutes from Blackwater.

10. phager76

phager76 Active Member

I've been wanting to do some camping in WV, we did a quick overnighter last year on our way down to KY for the solar eclipse. I was really surprised by how rugged and beautiful it was! I think I want to wait til I get another two wheeler so I can ride around those twisty two lanes we saw. Probably would be a lot more fun then the Excursion towing a popup.

11. tenttrailer

We did black water falls a few years ago. Very nice.

12. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Unless its changed recently, the WV state park reservation system is interesting to say the least, and is not exactly easy for rally type camping with a group. You have to mail in the reservation prior to date X but not before date Y. Only a certain number of sites are reservable, and the reservations are granted at the discretion of the park superintendent.

There was a rally at Blackwater a few years back sponsored by another forum which had/has a common membership here. There were some shenanigans that went on with the reservations by the park which were ultimately straigtened out prior.

As far as Ohiopyle I wonder if they still have the quiet nazi rangers? I have not camped their since around 2012, but back then a casual low tone conversation with a group of 4 or 5 people around the fire after quiet time, usually resulted in a ranger visit and a warning. Perhaps Adolf is no longer there, as the rangers seem to change often at the state parks.

13. WVhillbilly

Blackwater Falls campground is a parking lot with trees.
    I know a far nicer place, not far away from there.

Anything that the state of WV runs is a farce.

phager76 and joet like this.
  14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

A parking lot with trees

WVhillbilly likes this.
  15. phager76

phager76 Active Member

We didn't run afoul of any rangers when we were there a couple of years back, but it was early in the season, so that maybe part of it.

I looked at WV ressie system last year, and it did look like a bit of a cluster. That's one of the things that's held me back so far. After staying at that KOA for a one nighter, I'm more inclined to chance it, but probably not for a rally.

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

We stayed in the cherry loop in ohiopyle just a few weeks ago, 3rd weekend in September we had 6 sites reserved, and two yurts rented, the rangers did roll trough right before quiet hours started, but never returned .we where a little loud thou still respectable.maybe because it was late in the season, the rally will be early in the season. So maybe the same

17. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Looks like there's about a week left to vote! After this winds down, I'll throw a poll up for dates.

18. tenttrailer

Ohiopile now is our first and second choice. We are headed home from a trip and are going to spend a night at keystone so.

19. tenttrailer

Weekend after mothers day?

20. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

looks like we are going to Ohioplyle, now just waiting for dates and loop location.