2nd Trip, AKA SPUT 2.0

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by PNW Family, May 27, 2013.

1. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

So I'm home from our first Memorial Day weekend camping trip ever. Normally in Washington it's too cold/rainy on the West side for tent camping, and not always much better on the East side (not always rainy, but the nights can be bitterly cold).

Even though the clouds rolled in on Friday, it was warmer than normal this weekend. With our original camping plans basically sunk at the bottom of the Skagit, I took an extra day off work (nothing short of a miracle given such short notice) and packed up oldest and the PUP, then headed east on US 2. Our plan was to hit our usual haunt at Beckler River, then work our way around until we found a campsite, pay for it, and call my wife to let her know where to bring the twins on Saturday. Well, as luck would have it, there were still a couple of sites left at Beckler, so we grabbed one.

Then the SPUTs began.

When pulling the front shepherd's pole out of storage, I accidentally extended it, but didn't notice until I tried to put it in place. THen when I realized it was too long, I couldn't back it out of the bow pole, and it snapped the tip off. 20 minutes of digging the broken nub out later, I was able to carefully fit the stump in the bow pole and get it set up.

I couldn't get the hot water pilot light to go for the life of me. Both the furnace and stove were working fine, and I had seen the water heater work during the dealer demo, so I'm pretty sure this is a complete ID 10T error.

Day 2 came, and brought my wife and 2 younger sons with it. Oh, and another lesson. Make sure your backup aim-n-flame is functional, in case you accidentally douse/destroy your primary. Otherwise, the night was uneventful, other than trying to sleep the 20 month old twins in a pack-n-play on the folded down dinette. Oh wait, that's not true. 5 bundles of firewood. 5 bundles of WET firewood that were supposed to be dry. $%@#$^. At least we got our money back.

Day 3 we skipped most of the drama by taking a nice long drive/adventure with a short hike in the middle. And several visits to the river beach to throw in rocks.

Finally, coming home... Some brainiac tried to destroy my trailer as I pulled out of the gas station on the way home, since they decided it would be cool to fly down a (mostly) blind hill at almost double the speed limit.

But... the camping was fun! :) We now have a new list of things we need and adjustments we need to make.

2. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Some notes to take away:
    1) SPUTS ans ID 10T moments go together like bacon & eggs!
    2) Nothing ans more importantly, no one got damaged or hurt, save the ego.
    3) You learned something from every incident.
    4) More side marker lights on PUP probably won't hurt.
    As you had a good time

3. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

a wagon master with sputs??? i will enjoy all mine. because stuff happens! and did!!! 1st run with pup and forgot to lock the outside fridge vent. well it aint there no more ooops and $50 [:D] [ALPU] [TV]

4. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

This guy became a wagon master before ever going on his shakedown trip. [:D] I know, odd circumstances, but... it is what it is.

5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that over all you had a good time and I'm glad to hear that.

Doc

6. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

Hey there! You've probably already figured your water heater out, but mine takes FOREVER to get the pilot lit. I just sit there holding the thing open and wait til it ignites several minutes later....

7. dchilde

dchilde New Member

Before trying to light the water heater go in to the stove and turn on the gas and hold your flame of choice (aim n flame) till it lights.
    This will purge the line and makes lighting the water heater or fridge much faster.