3 way Dometic RM2193 Fridge no cool on 110

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Bronco6464, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Bronco6464

Bronco6464 New Member

Cools on Propane and 12V, but not AC. AC worked to cool it down in the driveway on Thursday, but camping over the weekend, I was plugged into AC and noticed the fridge was getting warm inside come Saturday late morning, with food that was cold from night before (like a gallon of milk for the kids). Switched to propane and it got real cold.

Confirmed power at the dedicated outlet, so it's not the converter, a breaker, etc. I'm handy with a multi meter, so what can I check for continuity, voltage, etc? Thermostat? Is there a limit switch? Heating element leads?

It's in a 2015 Rockwood Freedom 8 foot 1640LTD.

Thanks in advance.

2. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

following

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Most likely 110 heating element. Test the element leads for power and then conductivity of the element with the leads disconnected. Downloading the repair manual from manufacturer should help.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Dometics have 3 switches in the back. One each for propane, AC, and DC. I assume that you turned on the AC switch and turned off the others. Dometic also has a temperature setting dial for AC. Did you have that set to Maximum?

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

6. Toxictom

Toxictom Member

I bought a new element for my Dometic 2193 and fridge still doesn't work. If you find you need an element give me a shout and I'll sell it to you cheap.

7. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Had the same problem with our 3-way this summer. The 110 went first, then the propane wouldn't ignite either. 12V worked if we didn't mind a dead battery (we prefer not draining our battery). Had someone look at it, and bottom line on ours, not worth fixing. We bought one of those Coleman coolers that plugs in to a cigarette lighter or 110 with an adapter and we are using that instead. Planning on trading our PUP in the spring so not really interested in getting it fixed right now.

8. Bronco6464

Bronco6464 New Member

bknjohnson said: "Had the same problem with our 3-way this summer. The 110 went first, then the propane wouldn't ignite either. 12V worked if we didn't mind a dead battery (we prefer not draining our battery). Had someone look at it, and bottom line on ours, not worth fixing. "

Yeah I don't think this is the case. Like I said 12V and Propane work like a champ. I am still leaning toward the 110 element, switch, t-stat or some such.

Thank you all for the tips so far. I have the diagram as is shared above. The 12V element only has 1 circuit, while the 110 VAC element has 2 circuits? I know the 12V is either on/off, and the 110 has a control (which i have set to max, i believe it's a 1-7 scale IIRC.)

Does that mean I need to check for resistance on 2 different pairs of leads? It's not very clear from the schematic.

Is it normal for these 110 VAC heating elements to fail this soon? We do mainly boondocking, so the AC element is only used to pre-cool the fridge and hold temp before we shove-off from the house. 12V from the TV en route, and propane once we are set up.

I'm surprised it would burn out with little use. It's a 2015, we bought in 2016 that was used by an old couple only twice before they decided to sell and buy property in FL. I can't imagine they used it much.

Anyway, thanks for help so far, I'll get my multimeter out and see if I can shock myself real quick once.

9. Bronco6464

Bronco6464 New Member

What I've found so far:

0) Didn't shock myself :eek:

1) Getting 110 AC power to the distribution block.

2) Continuity between both pairs of poles in the DPST switch. (bummer, I thought this was what it might be and ordered 2 from Mouser last night. Oh well they will be cheap (~$3) to have on hand.

3) 97 ohms measured for the heating element. Close enough to 104 ohms?

4) 0 ohms measured for the thermostat, on any setting. Of course this is when everything is cold, ambient is about 43 F outside.

Plugged in, turned it on AC on 7, and will check in a while... I really am at a loss for what it could be now.

Update to come...

10. Bronco6464

Bronco6464 New Member

UPDATE:

Well the boiler sleeve is getting warm on 110!

Not as warm as I remember, but I'll give it more time. I thought I had learned that 12VDC, 110VAC, and Propane are Cold, Colder, Coldest. Maybe the sleeve wouldn't be as warm to the touch as with propane, but still...

So now I'm at a loss as to what happened camping last weekend. It was not a hot day, maybe 70 degrees max, in a shady spot. Cooler overnight. And when I grabbed some milk out of the fridge for my toddler in the morning, the fridge didn't feel as cold as it usually is (but the gallon of milk was still cool to cold), and when I went outside to check, the sleeve was not hot to the touch.

I'll give it overnight and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input so far.

11. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!