3 way fridge propane useage

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by hotrodcamper, Mar 17, 2018.

1. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

How much propane does a 3way fridge use? Thinking of using it for 3 weeks straight. Will a 20# LP tank be sufficient?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Your propane usage to run the fridge will be minimal. The whole cooling system basically runs from just the "pilot light". You should be good for three week on a full tank. With that being said, the propane will not last three weeks if you are also using the stove, water heater and furnace. If this is the case, you will need a refill or bring an extra tank.

Fbird and kitphantom like this.
  3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Never hurts to have a spare, especially when the tank you are using goes empty at 3am.
    Ask me how I know.

jnc and Fless like this.
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If you only ran the fridge on LP and nothing else, 3 weeks would be a cinch. It sips LP.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I've gone whole summers on a single 20lb tank just using it for the fridge. As generok says, it sips LP.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Fbird likes this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Won't be a problem, we use ours on a three week trip as well as camping for the rest of the summer. We don't use the furnace or WH, but we use the stove everyday to cook on.

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

you could probably get over a month of refrig use on a 20lb tank

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I always carry a spare, I use it for the BBQ, and if needed for the RV. It is better to have a spare
    than to have to spend the time find a place to fill the LP tank.

9. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I've estimated about 21 days on propane, but that means not consuming propane for anything else.
    If you run the furnace, stove, and water heater, the fridge won't even factor into your equation of consumption:

A 20# propane tank has about 430kBTUs in it.

My furnace consumes 19kBTUs per full hour of run-time.
    No idea what my stove, BBQ, and water heater consume. Surely less than 19kBTUs.
    The fridge consumes 550 BTUs (not kilo-BTUs, just BTUs) per hour. So the fuel consumed by running the furnace for one hour would keep my fridge going for almost a day and a half.

I really like having dual propane tanks. I never go through an entire tank in one camping trip. But that's not the point. The point is that when I run out in one tank, the automatic regulator flips over to the second tank without missing a beat. The fridge keeps on going. Meanwhile I can disconnect the empty tank, and take it to be refilled. Mount it back on the trailer again, where it sits until the alternate tank is depleted. As long as one tank is full, and one is somewhere between nearly empty and totally full, I am comfortable setting out on a trip.

theseus likes this.
  10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I’ve got 2 tanks with the auto changeover valve. Thinking I should be good from what everyone has said.