3 Way Fridge

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by MichCastro, Aug 20, 2016.

1. MichCastro

MichCastro New Member

We are looking into purchasing our first PUP, a 2004 Coleman/Fleetwood Sedona. We are new to the 3 Way Fridge and we want to make sure the fridge works. Am I correct that we will not be able to hear the compressor coming on? Instead we will have to wait until/if it cools? Can you pass on any information that I can do/check to make sure it works properly? Thank you!

2. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

There is no compressor. There is only a heat source (propane flame or electric). Yes, it will take a while to cool down. Maybe you can have the current owner turn it on the day before you go to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. cityfrank

cityfrank New Member

I second the advice about getting the owner to turn it on the day before so you can confirm it works. However, I neglected to check if it worked via propane when I purchase my used PUP. By the time I needed it to work one time on gas I discovered that it wasn't working and would only work on AC power. A $300 mistake.

4. chambo

chambo Active Member

Having the previous owner turn the fridge on the day before to 130v is a good idea. Once you're there and verify the fridge is cool you can switch it over to propane. When the fridge is running on propane you should see a very small blue flame at the bottom of the chimney. All other components will work the same as when it was running on 120v. You could then switch it to 12 volt and test that there's a draw on the battery using a voltmeter.
    Two things to keep in mind: 1st is that running the fridge on 12v will drain your battery very very quickly. If the 12 volt setting doesn't work I wouldn't be too concerned. But thats just me as i dont ever run mine on 12v. Second is that this fridge won't get as cold as a compressor fridge. It should get in the range of "cool+".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk