$300 1992 Palomino Mustang Renovation

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Rideswithchrist, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

This is the doorway area and the reason the door would not stay closed when the King bed was pulled out- there was no floor or wall anymore.
    [​IMG]IMG_2733 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

On this side, we only have to rebuild the frame in front of the lift arms!
    [​IMG]IMG_2734 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

pasobuff likes this.
  2. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

What do y'all do for the foam inside the skin that comes off or gets chewed up during removal??
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure we are just going to glue it back to the skin and call it a day

3. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Wohoo we have a floor again!!!

We got the side frames built and dry fitted and we sprayed the outer edge with some Rustoleum for some preventative sealing.

The floor is in. We have a big 'ol gap on one side even thought we measured thrice, so we will be filling it and hoping the flooring will make it less noticeable. We used extra screws to keep it from shifting and at least the gap is on the frame.
    Lowes didn't have the self-drilling screws for some reason so we went to Tractor Supply instead and got a box for $9.99.

All the 2x4s we ripped down were given to us so we have only been out OSB, some screws, a sawblade and a dremel wood kit.
    We do still need to get more screws when the walls go in plus the ply for the bed.

If we keep this PUP, we plan on doing a strip to frame rebuild but if not, we will disclose to the new owner and they can join this site ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]IMG_2749 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2750 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2751 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2752 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

IMG_2745 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Orchid likes this.
  4. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

I am MOST proud of my hubby for the front angle. The original build had two parts joined at a slight angle. Of course, that failed when the staples got wet. We messed with it and messed with it and then he decided to use a solid piece and just cut the angle from there. Is it pretty- nope. Is it functional and more stable, yes.

They did not make these things perfect did they? The lack of symmetry and perfection is driving my husband crazy.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

OH- LESSON LEARNED:
    Do not raise or lower the roof once the side panels are off. I tried lifting the roof to give us a bit more room and the spring came out on one side. My 5 year old and I had it almost back in when my husband pulled in the driveway but it took all 3 of us: My husband to hold the roof up, me to push the spring back and my 5 year old to crank the roof back down to pull the spring in!

We had to lower the roof because a storm came through and we didn't want the roof to pull sideways with no supports.

6. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

The gap was too big to just fill so we made a patch and glued it in and sanded it down. Looks pretty good.
    We dry fitted the door and found that it does not sit flush but if we move the frame back, it will not be screwed in near the arm so we are going to leave it as is (at least the door closes now).

The paneling Lowes had is too thick to fit under the top rail so we are going to have to put it together and then trim it down on the inside somehow.
    But we are getting there! Walls are up and secure! Will be putting the front frame on today when my husband finishes some work projects. This is the paneling sitting there for a photo op. We are going to cut out the doors before trying to get it on.

[​IMG]IMG_2753 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2756 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

Orchid likes this.
  7. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Looking good keep up the good work.

Orchid and Rideswithchrist like this.
  8. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

We have the skins put on, the door is in and FINALLY CLOSES!

We are about to put new plywood in the King bed so we can put it in before we put the front on because we had to send our 10 year old in the storage to unscrew the stopper rail.

We have to patch this hole where the skin ripped. We have the piece that tore off so we may just try some JP weld and put a reflector on it so no one tries to screw through it?
    [​IMG]IMG_2758 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

9. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

FINALLY finished repairing and building and now we start putting back together! (We still have to "make" the bed before we put the front skin on)

We went ahead and got some flooring to lay in- might as well go all the way.
    [​IMG]Almost done by rideswithchrist, on Flickr
    (This does have the paneling on the back
    [​IMG]Almost done by rideswithchrist, on Flickr
    That back corner that is not painted is where the "closet" went but we are thinking of seeing if the mini fridge will fit OR making that the porta-potty closet because the space for it is actually by the dinette, which means moving cushions and sitting across from the table...

Orchid likes this.
  10. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Bed is built and in.
    The 1/2" plywood just does not quite seem as strong as the OSB that was in it before. I hope it holds! We may add some supports under it.

[​IMG]IMG_2788 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

11. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

AHHHH! This thing is a pain!
    We thought we were home free, just one more 1x6 across the top and button it up. Turns out it was missing the foam along the sides so we are having to cut 1" worth of shims so the front and side skins match up...who designed this stuff?

Camping on SUNDAY so we have the rest of today and tomorrow to finish this all.

JPBar likes this.
  12. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Looking good!

Rideswithchrist likes this.
  13. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

My husband built a new aluminum front piece since the PO cut the other one. This one was thicker so it is stronger. We have a pretty little gap here though. We will fill it with great stuff and caulk

[​IMG]IMG_2807 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2804 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

Just got to re-wire it.
    [​IMG]IMG_2806 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

My husband also ran a strip along each side to make the beds firmer. The kids are on this side so they will lay between the bars. We will add another sheet of 1/4" ply laminated to the top to make it stronger because he does not think this will hold. When we replace the wood on the other side, we are going with 3/4" tongue and groove and we will borrow or buy a router to get the sides down to 1/2" thickness for the channels.
    [​IMG]IMG_2805 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

The floor sure makes it look nice though.[​IMG]IMG_2803 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

Barring any odd mishaps, we will be sitting around a fire this time tomorrow at Garner State Park!

Orchid likes this.
  14. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

That is our favorite park, have fun!

Rideswithchrist likes this.
  15. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

ALL DONE!
    We added a 1/4" sheet on top to make it stronger. That baby will hold both of us :)

[​IMG]IMG_2813 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2811 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_2810 by rideswithchrist, on Flickr

We had to reschedule our trip due to work so maybe no Garner this Fall :( but that is ok, we will find another place- Texas is pretty big ;)

We should be able to repair the back much quicker now that we know what to expect.

Orchid likes this.
  16. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Buda TX !!!! I'm up in Hutto. Good job on the restore. I restored an old 95 Flagstaff similar to your job. I camped in that rig for 4 or so years and loved it. Have you gotten around to McKinney Falls off of 183? That is a very nice place. One of my favorites. Palemetto Park on the other side of Gonzales is another one of my favorites. So close to us it makes a weekender so easy.

Phoodieman

17. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Hey there in Hutto! yes, we frequent McKinney Falls a few times a month to hike. We camped there in March of this year- got site 15 which had no trees at all and we had no awning. Palmetto is another we want to visit as well, it's on the list to check off asap so thats good to hear you liked it.
    Give Lockhart SP a try too- they have an amazing trail that takes you through huge patches of wild roses. It is a smaller park but we were very impressed with it!

The kids FAVORITE is Guadalupe Sp though, the kids like that there is enough current to "float the river" but walk back to where we stand. It is a bit more crowded in the Summer but not terrible.

18. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Been to Lockhart SP. Kind of small but it's nice. Had a decent swimming pool for the kids as I remember. Been wanting to get to Guadalupe just haven't made it over there yet. I hear Lost Maples is excellent in fall. Hard to get reservations there from what I hear. Pedernales Falls is another good one. Sites there can be VERY in level so bring plenty of blocking in case you get a bad one. There is Garner....it's a drive but is worth it. I could go on....As Texas, State, Federal and COE parks go we are pretty lucky. It would literally take a decade to get to camp in most of the best ones. Happy camping...May be I'll see you guys down the road....

Phoodieman

19. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Yeah, we tried to go to Lost Maples but there was no room at the inn! We figured Garner was a short drive to at least get in to see the maples even if not camping there, we had reservations but had to cancel due to a work change.
    Pedernales is also pretty great- the kiddos like sliding on the rocks.

20. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Ok showed DW your pics,now she wants a new floor.... what flooring did you use?