30A split into 30A and 15A. Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by frenchie, Aug 24, 2012.

1. frenchie

frenchie New Member

Hello all. I am just returning from a camping trip. Everything went so great that I decided to make a reservation on the same camp site in 2 weeks from now. But here comes the problem.

My brother will join us on the camp site and will do tent camping. The camp sites are massive on this campground so we decided to share the same site. He would really enjoy to have an electric connection but the camp site only have 1 X 30a hook up.

So I was wondering if there are some sort of split that can be purchased or made that both of us could connect on. 1X 30a and 1X 15a.

I know I could probably use a 30a male to 15a female adapter, then a 15a Y split. That way my brother would have his 15a connection. On my part, use a 15a male to 30a female adapter between the Y split and my PU extension cord. It just seems that there has to be a more simple way. Any idea, suggestions. Oh, just to let you know, I have no exterior outlets on the PU. Would have been too simple...

2. wvKING

wvKING New Member

Why can't you just plug an extension cord in the inside the pup and run it out the bunk-end?

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

X2 on wvKING suggestion.

one fish,two fish,I fish,you fish?

4. frenchie

frenchie New Member

That's what I call a more simple way. How come I never thought of this. [?:~{]

5. rjniles

rjniles Member

Be carefull what he runs off the x cord. Easy to overload and cause a ptoblem. Will the camphround let you have 2 RVd on the same site.

6. frenchie

frenchie New Member

Our plan is to run simultaneously 2 ceramic heaters and the mini fridge. After analysing the amperage consumption, the 2 heaters will draw 13A each, and the mini fridge about 6A on start up, which brings me over 30A. We may have to rethink our heating needs unless I miscalculated something or I am out the lunch. Electricity is not my cup of tea.

7. rjniles

rjniles Member

It is unusual for a camp power pole to have only a 30 amp plug. Most I have seen have a 30 amp and a 20 amp. Check with the campground.

8. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THIS [:(!]!
    You might be OK by starting the fridge and one heater. After the fridge has reached temp, then the 2nd heater could be hooked up. If the fridge is already cool, it should not draw as much current as on starting the cooling job. But if you end up blowing fuses or tripping breakers, don't try to continue. Good luck (PS there are small generators if you can keep the VERY quiet.

9. marcham

marcham New Member

Is this a camping fridge or a bar fridge? The camping / tent trailer fridges don't draw more than 1 Amp on the AC circuit ... so it really is a marginal load.

As for the 2 heaters, they will have to be on separate branch circuits in your trailer. Do you have a 20 and a 15 Amp circuit? Are the 2 heaters going to be in the pop up or one in the tent? Sleeping bags and heaters in a tent are a fairly dangerous combination ...

If your camper has a fridge that runs on propane, that's often the simplest way to go.

10. frenchie

frenchie New Member

Yes, the plan is one heater in the tent, one in the PU. In regards with the fridge, it is a bar fridge. My PU has no propane heater and no propane fridge. I could use the ice box in the PU but we have to keep my DS medication to a certain temperature and the ice box is not good for that.

I was at the campground 2 days ago and the only power source is one 30A plug per site unless we have no neighbours [}:)]but I don't believe we will be that lucky.

I guess, to stay on the safe side, my brother and his family will have to take some warm PJs with them and extra blankets.