37 RV Hacks That Will Make You A Happy Camper

frankvanw1

London, Ontario, Canada
Mar 18, 2009
London, Ontario
Genie,
To answer your question, NO.
I posted them to a photo sharing site; like you have to do to post photos on here.
The 'fine print' or agreement probably releases all rights to the photo sharing website or facebook, etc.
I am no lawyer or legal expert, maybe someone with better knowledge than I can step in here.
Thanks and Happy Camping.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
@ Frank .. Many times the photo sharing sites claim that in using them, your are publicly providing your photos for use by anyone .. However there are a few things you can do to limit the chance of your pictures being used.. 1) add water marks to the pictures. 2) use the storage offered by your service provider instead ..

Sussya

Aug 13, 2013
Snow said:
@ Frank .. Many times the photo sharing sites claim that in using them, your are publicly providing your photos for use by anyone .. However there are a few things you can do to limit the chance of your pictures being used.. 1) add water marks to the pictures. 2) use the storage offered by your service provider instead ..

Yup! Good advice. But trust me, even that isn't a guarantee your pictures won't get stolen. Also, it looks like the author of the Buzzfeed article attempted to give credit where credit was due. If you look underneath each picture, you can see the source in light gray italics, which is all they are required to do. Unfortunately, it looks like your pictures were stolen by someone else first, and since you didn't have a watermark, the author may not have known that you were the original owner or where to give credit. Credit for #2 is cited as Pinterest, and credit for #17 is Rugged Life. I've had problems with Rugged Life swiping my pictures in the past, and they WERE watermarked. [:(]

dreshambrc

Oct 10, 2014
Sussya said:
Yup! Good advice. But trust me, even that isn't a guarantee your pictures won't get stolen. Also, it looks like the author of the Buzzfeed article attempted to give credit where credit was due. If you look underneath each picture, you can see the source in light gray italics, which is all they are required to do. Unfortunately, it looks like your pictures were stolen by someone else first, and since you didn't have a watermark, the author may not have known that you were the original owner or where to give credit. Credit for #2 is cited as Pinterest, and credit for #17 is Rugged Life. I've had problems with Rugged Life swiping my pictures in the past, and they WERE watermarked. [:(]

I am on another message board where someone's CHILD'S pictures were stolen, blown up, and used as wall art in a model home for a builder. I have also seen her child in a lot of the pictures on FB with random sayings/quotes on them.

efehser

Super Active Member
Sep 3, 2012
Snow said:
Sussya said:

A big fat watermark across the center of the picture is the only way to keep credit headed where it is due. Small mark in the corner? Crop, gone. I will also reduce resolution to near unusable when they are pictures I care about.

dreshambrc said:
I am on another message board where someone's CHILD'S pictures were stolen, blown up, and used as wall art in a model home for a builder. I have also seen her child in a lot of the pictures on FB with random sayings/quotes on them.

That is lawsuit territory. You own your face and all images of it. Minor children are covered by their parents. I'd have a lawyer on that in a heartbeat.

dreshambrc

Oct 10, 2014
efehser said:
A big fat watermark across the center of the picture is the only way to keep credit headed where it is due. Small mark in the corner? Crop, gone. I will also reduce resolution to near unusable when they are pictures I care about.

That is lawsuit territory. You own your face and all images of it. Minor children are covered by their parents. I'd have a lawyer on that in a heartbeat.

I know that she talked to a lawyer about it and I think she got the builder to take the pics down, if I remember correctly. She wasn't even in the same state as the builder. Someone from the message board tipped her off to the pics.

RotnMom

Am I there yet?
Apr 4, 2011
It's likely they got it here, as they gave credit to PopUpPortal.com. I know that's supposed to carry some 'responsible' weight in itself, but we all know....even with watermarks, if we put it OUT there, someone's probably going to use it somewhere eventually.

The Hacks List creator may not have asked permission, but, like I said, at least they gave credit to the source, if not the user.

[:D]

Sussya

Aug 13, 2013
efehser said:

Yes, but in my experience, the owners of those websites are usually foreign (India, Russia, China, etc.) and it is really hard (and expensive) to sue. Most often, they have hundreds of dummy sites and are stealing your photos in order to drive traffic to those sites, and thus earn revenue off of pageviews. They don't create their own content. They use yours, and they don't care if there is a huge watermark across the picture, so long as they get the clicks. Google has been really good about copyright issues, and if the owner of the site is using Adsense to earn revenue, Google will put a stop to it. Problem is, there are new, less honest marketing companies out of foreign countries that know it is far too hard to prosecute them from another country, and so for now, the little guy gets screwed. The last time I had an issue with someone stealing my content, I was required to send a certified letter to India to file a complaint. $$$ [:(!] All of my pictures have watermarks, so at least I'm consoled by the fact that if someone finds one of my pictures on these dummy sites, they'll know where to find the real post.