3rd Annual 2018 Northeast PA Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by shelmily, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Mr. spreadsheet, I will now be arriving on Thursday. 6/14 instead of the 15th, And My good freind , and fellow Cast Iron Enthusiast Leonard. And his wife Joyce. Has decided to join the party with all. Us fine folks. And reserved site 106 Thursday thru Monday

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Yeah VAgov and friends

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

According to the spreadsheet, you are in site 111 from 6/13 to 6/17, 2 adults, no kids and 1 gunner. No potluck dish announced. See how this works?

jnc and Strawhouse like this.
  4. shelmily

Also vagov (John for those of you who don't know him yet), I have you and Leonard (his friend) down as well. Glad you guys can make it this year. The potluck should be really good this year as both John and Leonard are excellent Dutch oven cooks.

5. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

[B)]

shelmily, Strawhouse and jnc like this.
  6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Any tips or tidbits fori Joy and I as new pup'ers and first time rally attendees?

7. shelmily

What is is you want to know Dave? We re a pretty laid back group, you can participate as much or as little as you want. We have a meet and greet campfire at my site on Friday night. Saturday night at 5:30ish, is the pot luck dinner, also at my site. Everyone brings a dish to share, followed by more campfire fun. This year we are also going to have a potluck breakfast on Friday morning at my site. A bunch of us kayak as well, we will probably do a group paddle or two if that interests you at all. Last year, there was a brew pub tour as well. Other than that people hang out and socialize, play games, sight see, or nap. What ever you feel like doing. Our main goal is to get together and have fun. Glad you can join us.

8. DJS12354

Just want to be properly prepared for this gathering.
    Joy and I are looking at bringing smoked chicken for the potluck. May even haul the smoker along.
    Don't do the kayak thing, but do wish I had a way to bring my bass boat! I'm thinking towing a double (pup and boat) would be frowned upon by the authorities! :) I will bring some fishing gear, though.

jnc likes this.
  9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Yes, and we are very successful at doing that! :D

PointyCamper likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

My first rally was the Fall Foliage Rally in 2016. I was new, everyone knew each other already. Everyone was really friendly. It was so much fun that I did 3 more rallies in 2017. It's a great group.
    Depending on season, bring clothes accordingly, maybe some stuff in case it rains. You know. The usual. Food and an appetite for the potluck. Maybe a beverage or 12 if you're so inclined.

Also, if anything goes wrong, you're surrounded by popup modders with tools.

Ductape likes this.
  11. shelmily

Yes, we have been known to fix a few campers at these rallies. Some more than once *Cough* STEPH! *Cough* [LOL][LOL][LOL][LOL]

Ductape and JimmyM like this.
  12. C. VanHart

C. VanHart Getting back to it,

I thought I had posted this earlier but it doesn't look like it worked. Anyway Last year we had gone to Honesdale on Saturday to check out a couple of breweries. We were delighted to find a music and craft's festival going on. Because we had committed to the pot luck we cut our time there short. this year they are holding it the same day again June 16th so we are going to go there instead of the pot luck. Sorry but the music was really good. If anyone is interested the festival here is the URL and we are more than willing to carpool https://honesdalerootsandrhythm.com

DJS12354 likes this.
  13. Strawhouse

I can certainly vouch for that!

When Jimmy, Scott, and Josh saw me arrive back at “Hybrid Hollow” at Winhall Brook VT with my new battery last fall, the first thing they said was, “Do you want us to install it now? Once it was installed, Scott kindly made it his personal job to charge, recharge, and monitor my battery for the remainder of the weekend. Thanks to information from other threads on the Portal, my battery is currently :rolleyes: hooked up to a battery minder.

So true, Mike! And we all know that you love the opportunity to jump in to help—yes, even if it interferes with attending the beer-tasting event! We all know that you were a little miffed when you arrived back at the campground after the other “boys” had started to install my battery.

So you see, DJS12354, this is one amazing group of people. My first Portal Rally was in May 2016. Since then, I’ve camped with many of these people at multiple rallies—some as many as 8-9. They are my American (camping) family. :)

Ductape likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Now THAT'S dedication!

I'll be bringing a bunch of electrical stuff with me if I can make it. Wire, terminals, crimpers, heat shrink, soldering, etc, etc, etc.
    I promised Pat I'd take proper care of her tongue electrics next time I saw her. :)

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Is there any sort of beer tasting scheduled? Officially or unofficially. I leaned into the IPAs at the last one. Was thinking of exploring the stouts and porters this year.

16. shelmily

Unfortunately, PA has this stupid no alcohol in state parks rule. Even though it still happens, I don't think a beer tasting is the best idea. I would however like to make the trip to Honesdale this year and check out the breweries.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Ah. I never read those pesky rules and regulations when I book a site.
    But a bunch of people hanging out at night drinking out of "coffee" mugs, might not be so inconspicuous.
    That trip to the breweries sounds good though.

18. Strawhouse

If you can make it...?

See...great people. It’d completely forgotten that offer...

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

I know, I know. I should find out in Feb whether or not I can. I hate being all wishy-washy.

Strawhouse likes this.
  20. DJS12354

In my experience with the state parks, the rangers don't bother you as long as you are not "in your face" with alcohol. I use cozies or the limited edition red plastic cups and keep bottles/cans in closed trash bags. Kinda a "don't ask/don't tell" unofficial rule.