4-5 Day Igloo Cooler

Discussion in 'Deals too good not to share!' started by strangiato, Aug 26, 2020.

1. strangiato

strangiato Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey All,
    Came across this Igloo cooler at a good price on amazon. It's a 52-quart Yeti-like cooler at a much lower price with a lot of great reviews. I have ordered one. Should get it on Sunday.

2. strangiato

So, we have used this on two trips now. Our method is to freeze about a dozen water bottles and also get a small bag of ice. It has worked well so far. We have a good amount of ice left over at the end of a three-night trip. My only complaint is that it sweats a bit on the lid, so it's obviously losing some cold there. It is absolutely no Yeti, but it absolutely does not cost as much either.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Annunzi

Annunzi Member Gold Supporting Member

We got the same BMX 52 cooler this summer and we love it. One mod I did to help create a tighter seal was I added some 3/8" wide by 1/8" thick rubber weather stripping to the channel in the lid.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

You can also make a reflectix cozy around the cooler, and I added a piece of reflectix directly over the food to help keep the cold in even more and not leak out from the lid. In all the coolers I bought I always found the lid to be the worse link.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Not here for a long time but here for a good time! Diamond Supporting Member

Bought a coleman xtreme model cooler for about $80 bucks from walmart. It's really great. I've added a hasp lock with a carabiner so the racoons don't get in it at night!

kcsa75, Sjm9911 and strangiato like this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I did the same mod on our BMX. You would think it would come standard.

7. strangiato

Yeah, I was surprised to see that there was no strip already on it. I think I'll do that also.
    I've gotten the idea that Pup owners consume 80% of the world's Reflectix [LOL]. I need to get me some and do the piece over the food, although the cooler was pretty fully packed this trip. I'm thinking that I'll cut a piece to go in the recessed portion of the lid and figure out a way to fasten it. The space sacrifice is probably worth it, especially if we take a longer trip where we'll do some grocery shopping during the trip.

Sjm9911 likes this.