4 cylinders tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Natureangel, Apr 14, 2016.

1. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

Where do you see that it's rated to 3000? The escape with 1.6L is not available with factory tow pkg and is only rated to 2000 lbs. The 2.0L is available with tow package and rated to 3500.

2. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

You might want to look at the Subaru outback. It is rated to tow around 3000 lbs, slightly less with the 4cyl.

3. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

I have a 2015 Escape SE 2.0L with after-market tow package (class 3 hitch, 7-pin harness, and brake controller, none of which comes with the factory tow package, anyway). The only part of the factory tow package it doesn't have is the ABS anti-sway which only kicks in over 65mph, anyway and cannot be added after-market. The transmission cooler comes on all models, standard, I believe.
    I use a friction sway bar and keep my pup weight under 2700 lbs and the tongue weight around 300 or less. (I'm actually modding it to make it even lighter). It's rated at 3500 lbs because of the 2.0L engine. I subtract 500 lbs from that to compensate for me and any other cargo I might have in the vehicle.
    It doesn't sag in the middle. If it did, it would mean the majority of the vehicle weight and trailer tongue weight is sitting on the rear axle which is dangerous.
    I'm looking into a weight distribution hitch for more peace of mind, but I've read in the Escape forums that due to the front and rear frame being two separate pieces instead one, that it can compromise the frame and rear axle. I'm going to talk to Ford directly about it and find their recommendation.

Operationally, it performs very well. I drive it in sport mode and use 93 octane gas when towing. I also change the oil more frequently in the summer. The pup has electric brakes and a breakaway switch, and I travel at or below the speed limit on the highway so stopping is very safe.

It may seem like overkill, but I did a ton of research before I bought both the pup and the Escape, and I feel confident and safe driving this setup.

When all is said and done, crunch the numbers (there's a spreadsheet someone made on the Escape forums for you to do just that, plus one on here, I think) and work to be a good 800 or so pounds below the tow rating, because people and cargo add up quickly.
    And, most importantly, it's not the performance that matters, but the ability to stop safely and to minimize the wear and tear on your TV. Just because you can tow something at the tow rating limit, doesn't mean you should.

4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Hear-Hear.......2010 Vibe GT, towing a '94 Palomino Pinto at about 1300 lbs "camping ready"
    That little car is rated at 1500 lbs with its 2.4 ltr 4 cyl. She doesn't miss a beat, and you would be hard pressed to feel a difference in her with or without the trailer.

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Since when??

6. daveman

daveman Member

The Escapes had a deserved tranny rep 01 to about 2010. The 4 speed Escape transmissions 01 to 08 were well known to fail more often than would be expected, especially if used for towing while ignoring maintenance intervals. The 09 to 12 6 speed unit (shared with GM) also had their share of issues in the first 2 years requiring a couple of TSBs for reprogramming (this same unit failed big time in my 2007 saturn outlook). I own an 09 v6 Escape and religiously change/flush the fluid every 30k kms.....now at 144k and going strong. While not a fan of the 2013 + body style (or towing with 4 cyl, but i am old school lol ) the drivetrain seems solid.

7. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

As a Ford tech at the same dealer for 28 years, I just don't see where the "Big" issue is. Sure, we have rebuilt transmissions on Escapes, just as every other model we sell, I just don't see the numbers. Now, I have read many of the complaints online most have had 60k+ miles. There has to be a point where the manufacturer isn't held responsible, I think 6/60 is a good warranty. At some point, if you own a car, you have to suck it up and accept financial responsibility.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If I owned a car and the tranny went out at 60k miles in would be ticked.

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Some do

10. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Not sure why so many want to try and tow with the smallest vehicles they can find.... just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Because most small cars are perfectly capable of pulling small trailers safely. Just because you always pulled a trailer with a truck doesn't mean it was safe. There is a lot more to safe towing than just the type of vehicle.

12. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Boston of the used SUV s in my price range are 4 cylinders [:(]

13. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

It's usually not a matter of using the smallest we can find but of getting what is sufficient for towing but also works best for the when we're not towing. The majority of us can't afford to dedicate one vehicle for towing only. The TV is used primarily for daily driving. For me, price, efficiency & suitability for it's primary job of daily driving is what determines the TV I get.

14. redneckgearhead

If it was unsafe it had nothing to do with my TV. I've pulled large loads with TV that was at its capacity. The amount of stress and down right work it takes to tow in that situation is dangerous in itself, taxes the vehicle and the drivers skills. Looking for that situation is foolish at best.

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

I tow a 1500 lbs trailer with a 3300 lbs car. That's less than 50% of my TV weight. Fully loaded I probably pull 55% of the loaded TV weight.

The trailer has brakes, I tow at 60 MPH max. Typically I just set the cruise control to 55 MPH. How is that unsafe?

Every maxed out pick up is more dangerous. In particular because all that power gives a false sense of safety and people go 70+ MPH. We all know there are plenty of those out there. Very often the trailer length is fare greater than the TVs. That creates a substantial lever. How is that safer than towing a small trailer with a smaller car?

Now all these big trucks are used as daily drivers. Since there suspension is designed to take heavy loads they handle poorly in every day situations. How is that safer than a smaller car?

Again, safe towing is not defined by the TV. it is the entire package. Ultimately I don't think we are that far apart. Safety for us and others is the goal.

16. redneckgearhead

Lol... not sure what to say to this... looking for a point.

17. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Come out to MD/VA/DC area, you will quickly find that the back end of your truck will be dancing around due to all of the potholes and the concrete expansion joints on the ramps that are not placed perpendicular to the direction of travel. Then try and park your tuck, most parking spaces here are shorter and narrower. Hopefully you don't rear end someone becasue of the horrible stopping distance.

I have towed all sorts of trailers with a wide variety of vehicles. For full sized vehicles, Pickups are the worst. The long bed over hang creates a 5-6ft lever (axle to hitch ball) while full sized vans have 1/2 the lever 3-4 ft. I have towed the same trailer with the same load with both my grandpa's 94 F-150 and my dads 92 E150 (van) the van towed far better then the truck.

When my family started with a popup, we did not want to buy a dedicated tow vehicle that would sit for 11 months out of the year, so we found a trailer within the towing capacity of our Subaru Outback. We have added a larger vehicle, a Mercury Monterrey (ford minivan) as the family runabout and will eventually move up in popup size since the minivan has a larger towing capacity. But if we ever had to move up to a dedicated TV, we might as well get a class C RV or a 5th wheel.

18. redneckgearhead

Re: 4 cylinders tow vehicle

But somehow the smaller TV are immune to the rough roads? Horrible stopping distance? Adding a camper to the light weight car improves the stopping distance I'm sure. I guess you're towing with long beds??? The rear over hang on a short bed is very manageable. As a matter of fact my F150 and my suburban don't even know the trailer is back there.

When was the last time you guts drove a truck, 1972?
    Sent from my SM-N910V

19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My TV is a 1977 long bed. My TT weighs a little over 50% more than the TV. I never knew what a bad combo it was until I read this thread.

20. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Re: 4 cylinders tow vehicle

It isn't that those are immune but that on the whole do handle those conditions better than an unladen pickup. My experience while using unladen, RWD light-duty pickups (haven't commuted using medium-heavy duty) is that they do not handle daily commuting conditions as well as a the average FWD 4-cylinder passenger vehicle. Even my little cargo van when empty handles expansion joints, potholes, speed bumps, RR tracks, etc., much better than the light-duty pickup trucks I've driven while unladen. If I can't afford to have two vehicles. So I choose the best vehicle I can for the majority of my driving, that is also adequate for towing my little camper. For some folks the best vehicle is a full-sized pickup with a 6 or 8-cylinder engine, but for others it is not.