44 and just had a heart attack

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by bheff, Oct 16, 2019.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm 44, 6ft tall, 199 lbs. VERY active, eat relatively clean, can see my abs, dont smoke or do any type of drugs.
    This past saturday I was in a mountian bike race. 30 miles of ups and down in the Ozarks. There were a total off 900 riders racing over the weekend. I woke up feeling strong and confident. I really thought I would be in the top 50 at the finish line. The first 8 miles were a breeze, my legs were primed for the many steep and long climbs ahead then it hit. I couldnt catch my breath, my legs didnt have near the power they were use to and I started getting passed. I finished the next 22 miles barely being able to breath. I crossed the finish line with my family cheering me on. Then I collapsed. Eventually we made it to the ER then the Cath lab where I watched them balloon open an artery and place a stent.
    2 weeks prior I had a physical. Everything was perfect.
    Fortunately I didnt have any lingering damage to my heart and will return to work in 1 week (Firefighter) and will get to start slowly training on my bike after next week as well.
    I expected to have heart issues when I was older, just not at 44.
    Enjoy life while you can and never pass an opportunity to tell those close to you that you love them.

Rik Peery, Pommom70, 1380ken and 8 others like this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We are so glad you are better

bheff likes this.
  3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I had one, got a cool stint and am enjoying 9 pills of life per day! Easiest way to quit smoking - 100%

Congrats for making it out of life alive! It tries to get you now and again brother...

neighbormike and bheff like this.
  4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

WOW!
    So glad that you didn't have heart damage. And you are right, never wait to tell those you love how you feel about them and enjoy every moment of your precious life while you can.

bheff and J Starsky like this.
  5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I am happy to know you are doing well and the heart attack didn't cause permanent damage. Life it seems is a game of the odds, and while being thinner and athletic usually improves your odds, it's no guarantee for a longer life. Enjoy the time you are given, and make the most of it.

I had a colleague that was I believe 40, he was in his Dr. office for his physical, with the doc giving him the physical when he got hit with what the doc called a "Widowmaker" heart attack. The guy was lean, athletic, non smoker, occasional drinker blah blah blah, he only survived because the doc took action IMMEDIATELY. (What doc wants a patient who came in for a simple physical to die on them right?).

I am old enough that I was a kid when there was a famouns fitness proponent, a guy named Jim Fixx, that died in his early 50s on his morning jog.

Just goes to show that it can happen to anyone, never take it for granted.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    J Starsky likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm glad you are doing so much better now. A friend of mine was in the middle of his customary 10 mile jog when his hit. Sadly he didn't have the same outcome as you. Just like you he was extremely fit, never smoked, drank very little. He left a wife and two children 10 and 13. I just didn't understand how someone so fit and always watched what he ate could be taken away so suddenly at such a young age. You may think it will never happen to you but the fact is, it can. We have absolutely no control.
    I pray you continue to heal and get stronger.

neighbormike, HappyTraveler and bheff like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it can be hereditary, and the job dosen't help much. Be glad you caught it early! Number 1 in firefighhter deaths is heart attack. See if your union has any extra testing advice, unfortunately for the job extra screening and more thorough testing is usally required. We have something set up on NJ for this, .https://demanddeborah.org/patients-visitors/captain-buscio-program/donna-buscio/
    ( my last test was 20 years ago, time for me to go also).
    So , your not alone, but at least you are still here to tell others and get better.
    Stay safe.

Rik Peery, Orchid, dbhost and 3 others like this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Glad you are on the mend! Thank you for sharing your story.

bheff and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Overland

Overland Active Member

Glad to hear your doing well, give the family a few extra hugs.

I had my first at 36, bypass at 44. Last 13 years have been great.. I appreciate every damn day.

It's important to be straight with your Dr, find someone you feel comfortable with.

Rik Peery, Pommom70, Sjm9911 and 3 others like this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Well gee bheff, that is a bummer but as Sjm9911 stated, the hereditary thing is a crap shoot. You might do OK, or have a heart condition. I've been on the cath table myself but that was for not. Funny that I recalled most of it.

bheff likes this.
  11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you, but so glad you made it out alive and without damage.

Unfortunately, there is a genetic factor. My father in law died of a heart attack at your same age, 44. My husband had a heart attack a few years back, in his 50's. My husband was always active and thin.

I had let my weight get completely out of control (lost it all now) and never had a single thing go wrong with me. I dodged a big bullet thanks to my genes. My active, thin husband not only had the heart attack, but also now has diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and maybe something else I'm forgetting to mention.

My two youngest kids (young adults) are also husband's sons and I really worry about them getting hit with all his ailments.

I do wonder if you were not in the good physical condition you are in if you would be alive right now? Surely being physically fit must make things better for your body. Just curious if you had any discussion like that with the doctor? Curious mostly for my sons' sake. If they are destined for an early heart attack, I certainly want them to have the best chances of living through it!

Sjm9911 and bheff like this.
  12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

He definitely said that my fitness level had a lot to do with me being able to walk out the door. I want/need to get back into endurance sports but they said it will take about 6 months to be back to where I was. I'll finish that race next year in the top 50!! Lol

Hell0_Nurse, Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Glad you are better.

bheff likes this.
  14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

So glad your survive, and without permanent damage.

bheff likes this.
  15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sorry that you had a heart attack. Sometimes things just happen that we really have no control over. Luckily no permanent damage occurred in your case and you can /will return to duty soon. Good Luck and Happy cycling

bheff likes this.
  16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Dang dude, your story is a head scratcher for sure...hate it happened; pal had a small defect from birth unknown at the time, collapsed on a run on a Florida beach several years ago & was gone...have a stent myself from back in 2006 & still hit the cardiologist's office every 6 months for a check up, hope all goes well from here on out...

bheff likes this.