4th of July camping adventures

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by speckhunter80, Jul 6, 2016.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Friday July 1 left the coast of NC early headed to the mountains of NC to camp in "cooler" temps. Fan switch for air conditioning on pick up not working....grreattt. About an hour an half into trip stop for a pit stop and check out tires etc....one tire is looking real sketchy, fine when I checked it at home. 7.25 hours later make it to Lake Powhatan CG and met by friendly hospitable campground hosts. Find site and in-laws already set up at back of site with their tent. Get set up, fix traditional first night spaghetti dinner...only enough noodles for two and we have 4 eating....hmmmm, open the Kraft macaroni and cheese to be served another night and use the elbow macaroni...BRILLIANT! In-laws supplied salad

Saturday July 2, after showering and breakfast go to Western NC Agricultural Farmers Market about 4 miles away. Buy corn for a dinner, pepper, tomato, some snacks, farmers cheese and some gifts for my Mom. Lunch at the neighboring "Moose Café." Afterwards, I go back to change tire while wife and in-laws head out to go sight-seeing. So, tire changing...raise up stabs on opposite side about an inch, slide in dinette after realizing I had to take the shepards hook out (oops), loosen all lug nuts, slide in hydraulic jack....#@^** thing is to short and my boars are under tire leveling the camper.....retighten lug nuts, pull dinette back out and put in shepards pole and then lower stabs back down. Take a drive around campground complex and check out other loops. Chill in the 90 degree weather...thankful for A/C in camper. Everyone is back and time to start dinner...(oops) onion is back home on kitchen table, slice up pepper purchased in morning, start charcoal, grill Italian sausage and peppers. Chill for rest of evening.

Sunday July 3rd, wife and I head out to check out other campgrounds while in-laws go do their thing. Head south on Blue Ridge Parkway to Mt. Pisgah CG stopping along the way at some of the overlooks for pictures. Pass thru 10 tunnels. Was entirely unimpressed with Mt. Pisgah CG(review provided in NC forum). Headed south on 276 to Davidson River CG. Both Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls to crowded to stop at(BTW, fee charged at Sliding Rock, unaware of) half way along front brakes on truck start smoking (OOPS)...hey, my county goes from the ocean to 18' above sea level, what do I know about driving in the mountains. Figure out I need to be in second gear and after a half hour stop to cool brakes we went on to Davidson River CG. Great place(review provided in NC forum). Turn north east at Brevard on to Mills River and North Mills River CG. What a let down(review provided in NC forum)...back to campground. Wife went swimming in the Lake and I chilled in the air condition camper [:D] Cook up some pasta salad to cool on ice. After in-laws return go to grill some pork loin chops and find three different cuts of loin. My fault for not labeling when I sliced up the loin. Anyway, grilled the pork, had pasta salad, fresh blackberries, peaches and garden salad. Chilled rest of night. Had a rain shower during night but no issues.

Monday 4th of July...in-laws and wife went to NC Arboretum as my back was giving me a problem. Lunch was left overs and sandwiches. In-laws went off in the afternoon and wife and I chilled. Grilled hamburgers, boiled corn bought at market and had watermelon and peaches for desert. Oh, did hear the tell-tale beeping of low battery and realized the converter was not working. No time to look at it, just disconnected battery.

Tuesday the 5th. Got up at 7 to pack up and break down. Done by 8 and went to take showers and bathrooms closed for cleaning...REALLY 8:00-8:30 in the morning [V] ....delayed our leaving by 30 minutes [:(!]. Two miles from campground stopped at mechanics shop recommended by hosts. 15 minutes and $5 later my tire was changed and we were on the road. White knuckled it down the mountains wondering if brakes would work....no problem and 6.75 hours later pulled into the yard after hot drive with no A/C.

Today I am airing the camper and have truck scheduled to take in tomorrow for new brakes and replace fan switch for A/C and heater. BTW, the temps in mountains were 89/90 while at home they were 97/98 with heat index of 105-108.

2. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

You sure enough had an adventure.
    Lemonade made from lemons.
    Thanks for sharing!

3. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Its real bummer when the AC is not working this time of year. Hope everything gets repaire so you can enjoy another camping trip.

4. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

The week before, we were camping in high double and low triple temps in Alabama (White Oak Creek CG) and our A/C started acting up. Fortunately, we had come back to camp after leaving it running and were inside for about 1/2 hr. before the weird "step down" sound happened. I asked DH to turn it off and then back on. Would not come back on but the fan was blowing. Shut off, turn on. The A/C sent out cool air and then stopped. We rushed out to Walmart (8 miles away) and bought a 20" fan because it was threatening T-storms and we were looking at only 2 little windows open with other closed tight. The TrailManor doesn't have PUP style windows, so we depend on the small awning that covers the two side windows that only slide open halfway. Long story short: Came home the next day and took it to Three Way Campers who promised quick inspection for the problem. While they towed it into the shop to test the A/C unit, smoke started coming out of the top and then flames started shooting out of the fan motor wire connections. Had to buy a whole new unit and it wasn't cheap! We've been lucky so far that this has been the only major repair we've needed after 6 years of camping most every month with a few exceptions.

Lesson learned: Don't leave camp with the A/C still on. I have bad shivers thinking we used to lock our pets inside to keep them cool if we had to leave for a short while. Something to think about.

5. speckhunter80

The A/C that wasn't working is on my pick up truck. Actually the A/C works but the fan switch is not working so the fan doesn't blow the cold air. Fortunately traveling at 65mph there is enough air to blow cold thru the vents.

6. speckhunter80

So truck is at the shop...front brakes are fine but rear brake pads need replacing, wiring harness on fan blower switch is melted....new rear brake pads, oil change and new wiring harness....$629

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Similar just happened to my Colorado except it was the connector at the blower resistor. When I repaired it, I found out that connector had been previously replaced. They just don't make them to last anymore.