5.3 Chevy w max tow. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by opie232, Dec 2, 2013.

1. joet

joet Well-Known Member

As others have said a bed cover does make a difference. I know with my Colly and 4:10 gears with the 5.3...it will scoot when mashed. The 5.3 is a proven design.

2. kpic

kpic New Member

GM, aka Generous Motors, did get it right with the latest generation of small blocks.

I'm sure there is more torque and economy in the engine, but as I negotiated a "free" 36 month 48k bumper to bumper so I can't touch it. The OEMs invest their time in emissions tuning and not as much in tweaking performance or economy.

Whoever did the 6 speed auto was right good also. Towing mode is exceptional also. First pass car or light duty truck transmission I've seen without a 1:1 ratio in it.

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Ok, not to hijack the thread but how many of you guys with the 5.3's have the cyl deactivation mated with the 6 speed? Do any of you feel like it occasionally hangs up in 4cyl mode when you are trying to accelerate, or to make it more complicated get hung in 6th gear while stuck in 4 cyl mode?

4. kpic

kpic New Member

There is a device which plugs into the port which kills the AFM. It is a CAN device so unlike a tune it leaves no history once unplugged. The engine stays in the V8 mode when it is plugged in, period.

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

I don't have one, nor am I connected in any way. But I do know that type device leaves no trace on the history chip dealers can "see."

5. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

While the 6-speed auto is much better for towing than the 4-speed auto, it still pales in comparison to Ford. The "Range Control" or "M" position should be perfect for towing, but thanks to the programming, it's not, the "tap o matic" basically moves the gear counter in the display regardless of what the transmission is actually doing.

Ford got their "M" mode right...it stays in the gear and shifts when you push the button. It holds the gear unless you are doing something crazy like trying to start from a dead stop in 6th.

6. kpic

kpic New Member

The GM is strange until one gets used to it. Put it in tow, manual and set the cruise and it takes over. However, click the buttons and override it. Not bad, depending on what one prefers. All I want is it to maintain speed going downhill. [;)]
    The Corvette has what I call assisted driving mode where it controls traction, yaw and other stuff. Hold the button in for about 6 seconds and everything is off. One push and traction control is off or it "allows" you to heat the tires.

7. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I don't agree with that at all, I have both a 2013 Chevy 2500HD with a 6 speed and and a 2013 F150 with a 6 speed. Possibly my 2500HD does it different than a 1500 Silverado but I am not sure. The only thing the Ford does differently in "M" is let me put in a certain gear and the truck will start out from a stop in that gear, say 3rd? At a stop it will not let me select anything higher than 3rd, the 3 will blink. If I put the Chevy in 3 from a stop it still starts out in 1 or 2 as normal, gets to 3 and then will not shift past it. I can put the Chevy in 6 at a stop but its still going to start out in 1, and shift up through the gears until it gets to 6. The Chevy will not go past the gear you have it set to and neither will the Ford. I have never had a need or want to start out in 3rd gear, so I do not know what the Ford does better? I think the Chevy has a higher IQ [LOL]

Somewhere here in western PA is a 2000 Silverado 1500 stepside, 5.3 and 4:10 rear, that is still running around with over 230,000 miles. I bought it new in 2000. It had that many miles when I sold it in 2012. The only thing done to the engine was the scheduled maintenance and a coil pack once. It also had the infamous 2000/2001 GM piston slap when started cold.

8. kpic

kpic New Member

They are trying to prevent lugging which is wise.

Thermal expansion is tricky but GM should have be capable of getting it right the first time. All the OEMs invest in testing in different conditions. They can get in a big hurry to avoid shipping to Canada's northern extremes for cold cycle. [LOL]

Same here OG, with proper maintenance, I've run more than a few gassers to diesel mileage. Same as plenty of folks I've seen diesels with low mileage with Injectors replaced or cylinder head work. Folks who care for either properly typically have less issues than others.

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

My comparison was 5.3 V8 6-speed AT Gm versus 3.5 V6 Ecoboost 6-speed AT Ford.

What the Ford does better, is do what exactly YOU told it to do, not what the COMPUTER wants it's to do.

Say you are in M6 on the highway doing 60MPH, in the Ford you feather the gas pedal down, the truck stays in 6th gear and accelerates. In the GM, you feather the gas pedal down and it drops down a gear or two, despite being in "6", then shifts on it's own back to 6th. You can use the magical/mythical "tow/haul" and make it shift 500 RPM higher.

Also, the Ford will shift up or down when you push +/- GM will not shift up when you push + unless you are already winding the engine out. GM - will shift down.

So, the win goes to Ford for putting the MANUAL in "M" mode. GM gets "back to the drawing board"

As far as lugging, if you are too lazy to use the +/- button, that is what D is for.

Interestingly, I drove a new Impala. It has the exact same shift set up the trucks do, 6-speed AT, +/- button, acts the same, but the cluster has L instead of M

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I was comparing a 2013 6.0 V8 6-speed AT GM to a 2013 5.0 V8 6-speed AT F-150 for what that is worth. I was able to get the 3.5 ecoboost on the F-150, I will not go into the myriad of reasons why I went with the 5.0.

I am not claiming to any sort of engineer or mechanic, but I do not believe the intent was to make the transmission do whatever YOU want it to do? Such as lugging. Why do I want to be able to make a truck lug? Thats real good for a vehicle........lugging. I know that much.

Huh? It accelerates while your feathering off the gas? I'd get that checked out. Sounds like it has a Toyota gas pedal.
    Or by "feathering the gas pedal down" did you mean down as in pushing it down? In that case I hope it accelerates. I can assure you when you push down a GM in M6 it accelerates also and does not downshift. That is unless you are at too low of an RPM, then it may downshift as you say, which to me is a good thing.

The GM drops down a gear or two when it senses through a combination of load and driver input, that you are trying to slow down. It does this in "D" with the mythical tow haul engaged, as you call it. It does not do this when in "M". That is the way it is designed. The tow haul mode does exactly what they advertise it to do, so how is it mythical to begin with?

I am still trying to figure out where the benefit is of being able to upshift at too low of an engine RPM? I guess Ford thinks that's a good idea.

Too be honest my 2013 GM AT does great here in the mountains of PA pulling the HTT in "D" and tow haul. I like it operating exactly how it is designed, and was one of the reasons I bought it and that's my opinion. The same as the below is your opinion and nothing more. Your entitled to it.

11. supton

supton New Member

That's what I've read, it's a big interior. Enjoy!

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Nothing wrong with the 5.0, probably less problematic in the long run. The 3.5 is as close to diesel torque and power you will get in a current gas pickup.

Who said anything about lugging? If a truck is doing 65 to 70 MPH in 6th gear and it has to downshift on flat ground when you push the gas pedal slightly when unloaded, something is amiss. "D" is for the truck to drive itself without driver input. Why even give a "M" mode if YOU can't control it. Like I said before, if someone is too lazy to push +/- as required, then use D.

I meant "feathering down" i.e. pushing gently as opposed to "hammer down" I suspect the 6.0 likely won't need to shift in that scenario, and again, in the Ford if you are in "M" and in too high of a gear and can't use the "-" that's operator error.

Try pulling away on ice in a 2wd truck that will only use "1" to pull away, wheel spin, you might go... Ford at least lets you start in a higher gear and upshift to minimize wheel spin, pull away quicker. Even the old 3-speed Ford C-6 auto in an 80's F-150 would let you start in 2nd gear and owner's manual even stated that to do that in slippery conditions.

Agreed, bottom line is Ford or GM will still pull a trailer. I tow with a manual transmission, so my preference is in being able to exercise as much powertrain control as possible while towing.

13. kpic

kpic New Member

If it is really important, it can be turned off.

http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_editor_parameters_gm_trans_shiftspeed.htm

The TUTD can be made purely manual with HP tunes or EFI AutoCal. GM also has a TSB the dealer can load supposedly it came out in 2007. Black Bear can do it also, but it is a live tune as the TSM is internal.

As I have a 36-48k bumper to bumper, I can't get in there without leaving a footprint or I would and post what to tweak. Plus, I'm not sure a handheld can do it.

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You can tune the ECU without leaving a foot print.. Its simple....I have an extra ECU. The original ECU has the factory settings, and current ECU has the HP turners changes

15. kpic

kpic New Member

As a Marylander I should have remembered how devious ridge runners can be. [;)] That is pretty slick.

All joking aside, as the one for the corvette is so expensive I never thought to consider it.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Neat, appears it bothers other people enough there are workarounds.

17. kpic

kpic New Member

It is just a another setting. Most folks are in there for other reasons. The "other people" have no clue it is there and a dealer won't touch it.

It is a simple computer with on off and parameters. Same as any computer within limits you can tell it to do it or don't do it. Dodge, Ford or GM use them and most folks don't. Same as adding mpg, better WOT and still passing emissions.

18. opie232

opie232 Member

[​IMG]

Hopefully the image uploaded. My new TV.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

19. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Very VERY sharp! How do you like it so far?

20. opie232

opie232 Member

Rides better than my previous 2011 kia optima. Really quiet. I cant wait to hook the pup up to it and go camping.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk