5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Yar, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

A friend sent this to me. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds pretty easy and may even be good.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    A small splash of vanilla extract
    1 large coffee mug (MicroSafe)

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
    Pour in the milk and oil and mix well...
    Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again..
    Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
    The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!
    Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.
    EAT ! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
    And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
    Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

2. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Danger Will Robinson!!!

Serious bidness - I printed this out and I'm gonna try it tonight (gotta go to the store for a few things anyway, so I'll make sure to get everything I need for this while I'm there.) I'll be sure to report back with my results.

Film at 11 - or earlier...

3. jeepjunky

jeepjunky New Member

just tried it, not to bad!!! even the wife liked it

4. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Re: 5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake - My Review

Ok, we tried the Mug Cake a few minutes ago, and in my usual way of overanalyzing everything, here’s my report.

Overall I’ll give it an 8.5 out of 10. The recipe DOES work, and it’s very tasty! I can’t give it a full 10, partly because I followed the recipe to the letter, and we need to adjust the cooking time a bit for our microwave, and partly because to our tastes, it just needs a frosting of some type. That’s not the recipe’s fault though. To me, it would have been a solid 9.5 if I hadn't overcooked it.

It’ll take a bit of experimenting on our part to get the cooking time right. We have an 1100-watt microwave, and I cooked it for the full 3 minutes. Next time, I’ll try 2:45, then 2:30 if I need to. Yes, that means I’ll definitely be making this again! (This is why I said “Danger Will Robinson!” in my post above.)

Here are a couple of pics of the cake about a minute out of the microwave. You can see that it’s shrinking away from the side of the mug. That was my first clue that I’d overcooked it just a tad. Oh, and the recipe was right – the cake DOES grow and threaten to overflow the mug. By that time it’s “set” enough that it’s not really liquid though, and it never spilled over the sides of the mug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went ahead and took it out of the mug so DW and I could split the cake – and yeah, half of one of these is plenty for us. I ran a butter knife down the side of the cake, along the side of the mug, then made one revolution around the mug with it. Then I put a saucer on top of the mug, upside down, then flipped it over. The cake fell right out – well, about 98% of it did. Taking it out of the cup showed me 2 things.

1.) The cake needs to cool for at least 5 minutes before you try to take it out of the mug.
    2.) The chocolate chips (we used semi-sweet chips) settle to the bottom of the mix while it’s cooking, and that lets the cake crumble when you lift the mug off of the cake. No biggie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see that I scraped a bit of the cake out of the bottom of the mug and “iced it” back onto the cake.

It IS really good, and it IS really easy. DW is already talking about combining all of the dry ingredients into a ziplock baggie, and putting the wet ingredients into a baby food jar, then making them at work during lunch.

DW says it would be even better with a frosting of some sort – even just a confectioner’s sugar glaze. I have a recipe for a caramel topping that’s easy to make, but requires about 2 ½ hours to make it. It’s called Dulce de Leche, and it has only 1 ingredient. I think it would be perfect poured over this cake.

Dulce de Leche
    (Sweetness from Milk)​

Remove the label from 1 can of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. Do NOT use evaporated milk - It must be Sweetened Condensed Milk.

Place the unopened can on it's side in a pot deep enough to cover the can with at least 2 inches of water. Fill the pan with water and bring it to a boil. Keep the water boiling for no less than 2 1/2 hours, adding water as needed to keep the can covered by no less than 1 1/2 inches of water.

WARNING: Failing to keep the can covered by at least 1 1/2 inches of water could cause the can to explode!

After boiling for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, remove the can from the boiling water and allow it to cool for about 10 - 15 minutes. Holding the can over the sink, use winding type can opener to open the can.

WARNING: The can is under pressure, and the contents are extremely hot! I mean lava hot! Keep your face back and your body away from the top of the can as you first puncture the top of the can. Puncture the can slowly. Once the pressure is released, it's safe to finish opening the can. It's ready to serve immediately, but it should be allowed to cool. I mean it when I say it's hot - it's been boiling for about 3 hours!

Pour the caramel into a glass jar and allow it to cool uncovered to about room temperature before covering and refrigerating it. It can be served as hot as you want it, but it has to be at least warm to be able to pour it out of the jar. A few seconds in the microwave will warm it up enough to pour out of the jar. I like it poured over ice cream and some cakes.

Enjoy!

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Made another mug cake tonight, and 2:45 was better, but still a bit overcooked to us. Gonna try 2:30 next time.

Thanks so much for this recipe, Yar!

6. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

I'm glad that this recipe has been tried and is not too bad. Maybe I should break down and try it myself... maybe this evening.

7. BoatCamp

BoatCamp Enjoy!

So we tried this tonight...
    We'll do it again. [:D]
    I would warn you that you really need to mix it lots after you get all the ingredients together. I was doubtful that it would come together, but I kept stirring and it did. Next time I will mix all the liquids together then put them in the dry, just to keep from having to stir so much.
    Thanks for the recipe! [A]

8. kartman

kartman Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Just made it. Very easy and nothing to it. (Even DH was intrigued and he doesn't even like chocolate). I was pleasantly surprised. I cooked it for only 2½ minutes as my microwave is 1100 watts and it turned out pretty good. Adding the chocolate chips makes it kinda "gooey" (messy), but my son enjoyed it. I will definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.

9. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

I am definitely gonna have to check this out!!!

ROb

10. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I've been doing some experimenting with this recipe, and we've found a new favorite version.

Reduce the sugar to 3 tablespoons

Eliminate the 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder

Use 3 tablespoons of instant hot cocoa mix instead

Use milk chocolate chips rather than the semi-sweet chips

We have several flavors of hot cocoa mix around this house - everything from milk chocolate with mint, Irish Cream, regular milk chocolate, to milk chocolate with mini-marshmallows. My favorite is the milk chocolate with mini-marshmallows. The chocolate chips sink to the bottom of the mix as it's cooking, giving you that gooey chocolate at one end, and the mini-marshmallows float, giving you a crunchy marshmallow layer at the other end. Good stuff, Maynard... [:)O]

And yeah - we cook them for 2:30 in our 1100 watt microwave too.

11. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

We've made this at home, too. After you take it out of the microwave, poke a few holes in it and pour some caramel ice cream topping over it. Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb the caramel. Dee-lish!

12. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Let me ask ... about the flour ~ would that be regular or self rising ... and/or could you use pancake flour(?)

Inquiring minds want to know!

13. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I asked DW that the first time I made them - just regular old flour is what we use.

14. Slush

Slush New Member

Try this -

Replace the oil with - - - BUTTER!

Yum Yum -

Why bother eating something that you shouldn't if your not going the last mile.

15. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Well ... since others here can modify the recipe ... why can't I(?)

Here's what I did: run everything as originally posted, except:

used sourdough pancake flour (Wal-Marts) ... (it was that or cornmeal, all we had)
    did the butter instead of the oil (I'm a butter junkie!)
    used 1/2 lt brown sugar (all that was in the house) and 1/2 Splenda

AND ... (to be different) ... cut 3 marachino cherries in half, plus added 1 tblsp of cherry juice. (I think 4 cherries would work better)

Also, used one of those wide soup mugs and it did the job perfect.

Bottom line ... I was surprised how good it came out!

Thanks, Yar, for the great recipe!

16. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

Tried it tonight. Think I may have to go with the cherry additive though.

ROb

17. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

yummy yummy ! thanks for sharing ! cant wait to try this !

18. Janetmac

Janetmac Camping is a lifestlye and a hobby.

This sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it! [LOL]

19. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Alright, gave it a shot last night. The DW and I split it, very good but would have been better with some ice cream or whipped topping (none in the house, today is gorcery day) Next time will try the hot cocoa mod [LOL]

20. maromeo

maromeo Member

DD and I made it last fall. We split it and it was plenty rich for us both. It was fun because she could make it herself. Fun family time and tasty too.

Mary