5th Annual - 2020 Sequoia National Forest Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Mogimus, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Shirt Logo 2.JPG
    2020 Sequoia National Forest Rally
    Independence Day week, July 02 - July 5, 2020
    GPS Coordinates: (36.143452, -118.489372)
    Free Dispersed Camping (no facilities)
    Location will be just north of Johnsondale, CA on Forest Route 22S82. Will be in the same general area as the last 3 years.
    Plan B will be Lower Peppermint Campground which is FCFS.

Things to do: There are lots of hiking and mountain biking trails around, couple rock slides, couple waterfalls, and a few creeks with trout. Other information on the area can be found at here.

More information on the Southern CA Pop-up Camper Owners group.

Attendee List.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    rescamilla likes this.
  2. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Maybe I'll make this one. Of course I just got back from the bank signing loan docs as I'm going dark. 2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB Baja. And I thought HW31SCTH was long and convoluted. Now what did I do with those popup group stickers.

rescamilla likes this.
  3. rescamilla

rescamilla New Member

Sounds like fun and within a couple hours drive from the valley.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

Mogimus,
    Thanks for posting the event. I will check w/ DW and schedules. :)

5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Wont make this one, if it were longer we could, but those days Patrick is with his mom for his birthday!

Enjoy!!

6. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

... longer before or longer after? A couple of us will be heading up the weekend before and making it like a 10 day trip like last year [Guitar]

7. davekro

davekro Active Member

We'd love to go and shoot to make the 5.75 hour drive down from nor cal on Weds. 7/1 & leave 7/5. DW has low seniority at her relatively new job, so she will need to see about getting 7/1,2. But she thinks it'll be OK.

- The FB link said "Sorry, this content isn't available right now" I never use my Facebook account, but I went there, found the So Cal group and requested to join.

- What are the odds 'plan b w/ FCFS' would come into play?' Any risk of 5:00pmish Weds 7/1 arrival would be a FCFS issue?

We could break down and invest in a porta-potty (or bag it and tag it!).

It would be great to meet some Popupportal members! Are any of the folks heading up early with you 'portal folks' along with your friends and family?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  8. davekro

davekro Active Member

I found the original thread where Mogimus gave more details about past Rallies from 2017-2019. I've pasted some of the informational links and description of services available that he already posted on this thread from 10/10/19 for anyone like me who is unfamiliar with the location(s). https://www.popupportal.com/threads...-coast-rallys-whats-on-the-west-coast.126908/
    The information below all relates to the 'Plan A', 'Free Dispersed Camping (no facilities)' destination.

Post #6 by Mogimus. "Dave, The past couple years the dates have extended and its been great. It started out as my in-laws family trip and I ended up opening it to this forum. Seams like we have 5 or 6 regulars every year and others that join here and there and have had as many as 12 or 13 campers join. Some have come from as far as Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, and a couple from around Sacramento area. We even had one from Washington state that was on a road trip on the very first rally in 2016. There are many hikes/mountain biking trails, small creek fishing, rock slides, etc. I'm hoping to be in the same location as last year but it will all depend on closures and restrictions at that time since it is free dispersed camping."

Post #11 by Mogimus. [ Regarding 'Free Dispersed Camping (no facilities) ] "As far as space availability, the area is considered a designated camping area, no sites, no reservation, no cell phone signal... just park it within 1 cars length along the entry road or in a clearing under the trees. See if these Google Maps link work, its where we were at the past 3 years. Its all the same area (Lloyd Meadows) but 2 different spots.
    [both links are 360º views! Just drag mouse to rotate, very cool!

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1433049,-118.4892468,3a,88.4y,117.08h,78.51t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipMcmppFGa3e2HcGtnhRaLgpWbC3KbKYhX73MHLf!2e10!3e11!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMcmppFGa3e2HcGtnhRaLgpWbC3KbKYhX73MHLf=w203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya346.9584-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1424077,-118.4884645,3a,90y,250.83h,69.96t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPsrdGjSkWcSFKoSF43ATpbc0xWjQRnpvC76mf1!2e10!3e11!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipPsrdGjSkWcSFKoSF43ATpbc0xWjQRnpvC76mf1=w203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya266.3956-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352?hl=en

There is no water and no bathrooms there but water is usually available at the closest campground (about 15 minutes drive) and an outhouse is about 3 miles away if needed but a small Thetford port-a-potty in a shower tent is an option. From this location, there is a small store with ice and such about 20 miles away (40 minutes) so some food planning is necessary."

Post #14 by Mogimus. "Rock slides from camp are about a 12 miles drive and about a 1 mile hike (good time to fill up on water and dump trash at the campground as we drive by)

For the Giant Sequoias there is the Freeman Creek Trail that ends across the road. Hiking this trail about 1 mile in will put you into one of the grove at President George Bush Tree https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/specialplaces/?cid=fsbdev3_059108 where they are scattered around. The other well known 'Trail of 100 Giants Trail' https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recarea/?recid=79825 is about a 1 hour drive and is more populated with these giants.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Mogimus likes this.
  9. davekro

davekro Active Member

brwarrior, well you have to come to this rally for two very good reasons: You've got to make as many trips as possible to amortize the 'investment' in your new TT and we need to see it or it ain't real. LOL
    Seriously, hope you are able to make it for the July 4th Rally.

10. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I just put it in my calendars so I should be able to make it. I'm planning a trip to Glacier NP for early August (7th-17th). It's a trek for me. Two days (about 8.5 hrs each day per Google so probably 10) to get to my best friend's place in WY. Then a day up to Glacier. Three days / four nights there and then travel back. I've added a couple of extra days so I can relax. Probably one day chilling at my friend's house. I think I'm going to spend a day in the Arco, ID / Craters of the Moon area on the way back. But there's some french toast calling my name in Pocatello, ID which is a little off that route. This will be my longest actual vacation, ever.

11. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Hey Davekro, I added you to the FB group.

Being that the holiday falls on the weekend, I would think Wednesday arrival would be ok if we have to resort to plan B. Honestly, I do not like that campground during the holiday. it is far too packed and gets trashed by the people partying it up so this option is like a last resort. We usually start checking in with the rangers mid spring to see about current closures and restrictions in the area and plan from there.

From what I know so far, there will be 3 portal members going up the weekend before (including me). Looks like a couple more going but don't have details yet.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    davekro and EmilyGhetto616 like this.
  12. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Adding a couple links for updates and reference and monitoring.

If you plan on having a camp fire (if permitted), a fire permit is required. We usually have 1 and most tend to gather around it but if you'd like your own, grab a permit. They are free. Also, they recommend gathering firewood from downed trees as opposed to bringing it into the forest. Chainsaw and splitting wedge (or other means or cutting) may be required.

Campfire Burn Permit:
    https://www.readyforwildfire.org/permits/campfire-permit/

Sequoia National Forest Restrictions:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/sequoia/notices/…

Sequoia National Forest Alerts:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sequoia/alerts-notices

davekro likes this.
  13. davekro

davekro Active Member

Thank you. :)

14. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

I just added a preliminary attendee list compiled from both the FB group and here. Will update along the way.

15. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Arriving on the 2nd and leaving on the 5th, I think. Looks like a 4 hr trip for me.

16. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Ok, I thought the rally dates were the only dates you were going to be there, so we may be able to catch part of it!!!

Mogimus and davekro like this.
  17. davekro

davekro Active Member

Mogimus,
    Cool that you added the folks and dates who are planning to attend. :) We are just us two, DW & DH, no other two legged.
    We do have two 9lb Chihuahua mix 4 legged's. We would probably leave them home as they can dominate our experience while camping. But I'll ask what have been the dog attendance in past years. I'm sure calm, layed back dogs are a total non issue. Since I do not know if ours 'would' be a barking problem, I'd rather not risk bringing them.

18. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

There is 2 that I know of that usually bring their dog. Chewy and Olaf are both little dogs. That's been about it IIRC.

My FIL used to bring his big dogs but they have gotten old so they stay home now and we tend to keep our little white fluffy dog at home.

19. davekro

davekro Active Member

One of our Chihuaha mixes is a 'white fluffy'. ;) We will plan to leave them both at home.

20. jpaul

jpaul Member

Pam, chewy the dog, and I will be there and like last year, plan on camping for at least 7 days. As the date gets closer, I will post our schedule.

Looking forward to this great outing

Mogimus likes this.