5th Annual - 2020 Sequoia National Forest Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Mogimus, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

114 day reminder LOL...

Haybale likes this.
  2. davekro

davekro Active Member

There is no way to know if we will all be on the current 3/19/20 lockdown & shutter at home status, a higher level of containment, or seeing some signs of improvement by early May. I think most Ca state and county parks are, at this point, still open for day use only with bathrooms closed and water (fountains?) turned off.

Of course the wisdom of being safe comes first. Is this camp area one that can be 'closed'? Or is is just an open area that does not have any county or state gates to close off access?

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Hey Dave,

This area belongs to the National Forest and not the National Park so it wouldn't be affected by National Park closures. Only Marshall Law can stop us!!! [LOL][LOL][LOL]

I believe that the only gates I've seen have been on the main road that are used to close the area for winter when the roads are not plowed.

Its too soon to make any plans as of yet but I hope I can get some camping in before this rally. I guess only time will tell how the next 3 months treat us.

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

I see the Stanislaus National Forest is 1 1/2 hours east of us. That area is where we most often camp, but in organized cam grounds w/ rangers and a host. It's called Wakalu Hep Yo (Wild River) Campground. Hmmn, the sign says "National Forest Dept of Agriculture" not state or national park. I'd still guess this would be marked closed for overnight camping. Any thoughts?

How do you go about finding 'Free Dispersed Camping (no facilities)' areas that might not be controlled by rangers and the campground shutdown situation. I'd love to find (new) places to camp in that area because it is close and we love it.

EDIT: next post shows some Googled info.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  5. davekro

davekro Active Member

Attached Files:

6. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Here's a couple tools I have found useful for researching areas, aside form Google Maps.

https://freecampsites.net/
    https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

Also, that trail next to Hermit Valley Campground looks to be an OHV trail that goes between Hermit Valley Campground and Lower Blue Lake Campground.
    https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/california/deer-valley-trail?ref=sidebar-view-full-map

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=deer+valley+trail

As for me, my wife's family introduced me to the Sequoia area. My FIL used to hunt deer in that area many ages ago and have made it just about a yearly trip since I've met them.

7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Do not trust freecampsites.net, not even the links.

Use it like Wiki, find a name, then do a separate search for that location.

I was running all over IL and South Dakota to get to spots that had signs for no overnight camping.

1 was a CP in IL, had pictures, a link to the cities web site and all. Get to the address, it was a residential neighborhood. I put in the GPS coordinates, takes me to a similar area. I call the city number, it was answered but by a different office. I explain my situation, he says that park has never existed, he is from this small town. He directed me to another area.

So double and triple check anything from that website!!

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

Julie and I are keeping our fingers crossed that this event will be able to happen. Time and changes daily/ weekly will tell as we get further along in the COVID-19 experience.

Haybale likes this.
  9. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I will keep watch to see if this is doable in 75 days

davekro, Haybale and Mogimus like this.
  10. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I am interested also and that week works too. BLM camping is the best and it would be difficult for them to close it down. I hope this is over before July or we will have bigger problems than closed camping.

davekro, Haybale and Mogimus like this.
  11. rescamilla

rescamilla New Member

Sounds like fun!

12. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

So here's the latest update, according to Gabriel from the Western Divide Ranger District as of 10 AM 06/04:

- Area is currently open for use.
    - No open campfires.
    - Propane appliances are allowed with a fire permit.
    - Generator use is allowed.
    - Target shooting is allowed.
    - Trails are open.

Things do change so he recommends to keep checking in as the date gets closer.

All dispersed campgrounds 1 though 6 are closed as well as Lower Peppermint Campground (currently until 7/1). The closest water supply is 30-40 minutes away in Johnsondale (if they allow you) so if you do come, bring plenty. Remember you will need to pack in/pack out your trash.

Click here to get your fire permit.

13. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

... and with 3 weeks to go, I've updated the attendee list. Anyone else on here that needs an update?

14. davekro

davekro Active Member

Are there trails that would be good for bicycle riding (that would be OK for a 'skinny tire' road bike that my wife has)?
    We are still scrambling to get some pup refurb. items completed. One project it to make a DIY bike rack for the roof of the pup. I'd love to fit the project in and bring the bikes, but if the trails/roads are not suited to skinny road bike tires... I'll take THAT project off the list ;) before our deadline. We hope to be ready to leave at our original plan of Thursday 7/2 morning to arrive Thurs evening. We now are thinking to leave Mon. 7/6 instead of Sun. 7/5.

Tow vehicle challenges got me way behind on the Pup, but thank goodness that is solved for now. We DI NOT want to drive down in the Wife's Prius and tent camp. especially after all the work on the pup recently!!! ;o)
    We're looking forward to meeting everyone, masks and all. LOL

Dave & Julie

15. Haybale

There are some hard pack trails and fire roads that are open for bikes.

I just returned from the Rally due to obligations.

If anyone has any questions or wants more info on where the group is camped at, let me know!!

16. davekro

davekro Active Member

Ryan,
    Does the Rally site have cell signal (Verizon)? I saw your post on Facebook and wondered if you sent it from the site.
    We are getting a very much later start than planned. I am in BIG trouble with the boss! Our drive from up north says 5:40 per Google. So probably 6+ hours.
    Doing last of loading then on the road.

Probably arrive after 11:00pm (ouch)
    Thanks

17. Haybale

Closest signal in 10.3 miles back down the mountain on a turn out, verizon only!!