6 hours till pickup...advice??

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by flash82, Jul 20, 2009.

1. flash82

flash82 Member

Hello,
    Well after many years of looking and debating (somethings always came up that postponed the purchase) we are finally picking up our 2000 Coleman Timberlake. It's in Great shape, garaged, clean, and barely used in the last few years (owners bought a TT). Everything checked out! I installed the brake controller on Sat and will be picking up the reciver on the way home from work. Still debating on rise or no rise. I have towed before but not with the Mazda Tribute (tow pkg). Have about 45 min drive and know to go with OD off and take it easy. We are going to drive on the not so busy outerloop of I275 around Cincy. Was also planning on stopping half way to see If there is any heat from the rims (bearings) and maybe check the trans oil condition)

Any other advice??

Hopefully tomorrows post will be in the "first time owners" section!!!

Thanks to ALL you helpped answer questions and PM's
    Rob

2. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Take it easy and you will do just fine. When we first picked our PUP up. I kept looking in the rear view mirror to see if was still there. Most of all ENJOY your new PUP.

4. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Congrats!!! Enjoy it!!! Like Nascar Fan, i kept checking the mirrors with a big dumb grin on my face. DW still makes fun of me!

5. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Speaking of mirrors, make sure you can see around the PuP. You might need to get some mirror extensions. They do make a difference. If you are not sure what you want to do long term about mirrors, you can get an inexpensive set at any U-haul store.

Take your time, get a feel and enjoy the ride home.

6. rpm2203

rpm2203 sure - that's fine

For what it's worth.....

I tow with a Ford Escape (Tribute is the same vehicle) and I have a 3 inch drop on my hitch.... Needed it to keep the PUP level during towing...

7. my3kids

my3kids New Member

Be sure to check the tire pressure. Use whatever guideline is recommended (the owner's manual and/or max tire pressure stamped on the tire). Check the lugs too, bring a lug wrench.

I ran through these very same thoughts when we picked up our new Fleetwood Saratoga. On the walk thru I specifically asked about the tire pressure. The tech said its fine and the tire gauge I brought with me only went up to 50psi. The Saratoga is heavy and the tires needed to be at 65psi. I should've asked him to check it right there but believed what he said. Wrong!!! When I got it home (85miles) I checked the tire pressure the next day with a higher range tire gauge and it only had 50psi. I was not happy. 50 is not 65 and I was likely over the limit on weight capacity just towing it home.

Hope this helps™,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada

8. flash82

flash82 Member

Thanks everyone! Yup, I did check out Natasha’s page, very helpful!. I'll have to see how the visiblity is while towing.

3" drop with the 237lbs dry tongue...wow.

3 hours to go...yes, am excited!!!

9. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Congrats and how exciting, I bet your filled with excitment just waiting to pick up your new baby.

We had never towed a pup before and when we bought our old 85 coleman, we towed it home 30 miles on what turned out to be 16 year old dry rot tries, We pulled it home at 40 miles an hour, it took a while and it was scary, but we made it. And the whole time, I kept looking back to see if it was still there, lol.

Cant wait to see your new pup.

Sharon

10. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Congrats on your new addition (hopefully)-Your post brings back fond memories from when I first brought home my pop up-I kept looking in the mirror checking everything with a dumb grin on my face-I was soo proud. I still get that grin when I go camping-I love my pop up and you will too.

11. flash82

flash82 Member

40 minutes....lol

Just nervous bout sway.. (short wheelbase)

few rain showers in the area, should be gone very soon..

I'll post pics ASAP!

12. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Be looking for pictures of the new Timberlake too. Let us know how the Tribute did. We have exchanged a few PMs flash, but I'll tell the others, I have a rise in my tow bar on my Escape, pulling a Westlake.

13. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

I will add you should read your owners manuel on wether to drive in overdrive or direct. My owner manuel for my Jimmy says to drive in drive and not a lower gear to minimize heat build up.

Also if you have never towed you have never backed up a trailer i assume. If this is the case find a big open parking lot on your way home and do some practice.

14. JulieinOhio

JulieinOhio Westerville, OH

Don't forget to let us know how it went!

15. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Congrats on your purchase!! We did the same thing.. checking the mirror to make sure it was really there. I remember racing home so we could set it up in the backyard. It was getting dark.

Didn't matter that the temp dropped to 34 degrees that night cuz we had a pup and heated mattresses!!! [SNZ]

16. Full Circle

Original post was at 12:40, plus 6 hours, is 6:40, plus a 45 minute drive is about 7:25...
    Have you got it yet?

17. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

But it ain't gonna get dark outside for a while.

18. Full Circle

Ya, but i need closure!

19. rpm2203

rpm2203 sure - that's fine

are we there yet Dad? huh? huh? are we? are we? huh? huh?

20. flash82

flash82 Member

Hey, Sorry for the late update....
    Got up there, talked a bit, hooked up....no Brake connected on Prodigy. Unplug, plug back in and now "connected" but no tail lights. Wife is in car doing the insurance thing while seller and I are scratching our heads. (Kids are not with us). After about 15 minutes of this we end up bending the pins ever so slightly in the plug on TV and low and behold we are all set.
    As we leave the neighborhood we test the brakes and get them set and then on to the highway. Stayed about 60 and "she" tracks perfectly. I was really amazed how the little tribute did. ( owners man does say OD off). We took our time and just watched, no sway at all.
    Pull in our neighborhood bout 9 (still light out) and got it backed in first go. I was proud! Check Trans oil, looks good, no bubbles, no brown and good level. Unhitch and unplug, then realize we didn't do any leveling. Hitch back up and all is good.
    Now where is the key to open her up, "Honey, do you have the key?" I don't either! Hmmmm?? Now that I think of it, we didn't get it. Call seller, yup...it's in his pocket. He apologized and am going to leave to get it now. (Took off of work today)
    I will post pics....
    Thanks Everybody!!!!!!!
    Rob