7 1/2 minutes

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by gardenbliss, Feb 22, 2018.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Whenever this comes up someone always thinks you're rushing. It's just how long it takes. I don't bring my whole house camping.

NorthernSpirit likes this.
  2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Why does it matter at all. Everything gets done when it happens haha...

I am never on a stop watch when camping...

Sometimes we show up and just get the bare necessities setup and finish it the next day... About the only thing that gets done right away is get my fresh ground and brewed bean coffee going haha... I usually have to fire up my generator for five minutes or so to make my coffee for the night and may be getting near the Generator run time restriction hours...

I have even seen some campers fill out a log when they get things done...

I guess we missed that part in our camper training classes...

Nothing against the way others camp and do things... Its all about what you want you to do...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Orchid and NorthernSpirit like this.
  3. tombiasi

It doesn't matter. But some people ask how long it takes. I can either just tell them or say it doesn't matter I'm not on a stop watch.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Ya thats what makes this country so great. We all have the freedom to choose how much crap we drag around [Guitar][rly]:D

Orchid likes this.
  5. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

This past weekend was only the 2nd time we used our NTU 2012 Coachman and even though I use my drill to drop the stabilizers and the bunks have cables not supports beneath it does have a slideout and overall it still takes about 20 min. Primarily because I do it by myself while my DW keeps the DD's away. Once it's level and the major components are together I get the rest of the family to help set up the campsite...chairs, carpet, lights etc. Though since my awning was recently stolen I don't have to worry about that part now. The DD's love to get involved and they're the ones that cover the bunks with the sheets and blankets and then help the DW with whatever meal we're about to eat if we don't already have plans to go out. This last trip it was dark by the time I finished (got there an hour later than planned...which is usual) and it was also my youngest DD's birthday so we were already planning on going out for seafood (she loves crab).

Anyway, my old 93' Coleman or the new 2012 Coachman, it doesn't make much difference the time is about the same.

6. tombiasi

My comment was directed to the setup time required nothing else.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I got that. I know We carry a lot of extra stuff that adds to our setup time but we can spend the whole weekend at the site. Like when we do the Vt rally we only leave the campground for firewood.

8. tombiasi

Well, I would also leave the campground for beer.

jnc likes this.
  9. internetauthor

internetauthor First Time PuP Owner in Texas!

Including the manual cranking, setting up my little pup takes about 15-20 minutes. I figure that's about as much time as checking into a hotel, so it's still worth it for a single night on the way somewhere else.

Mamie likes this.
  10. mandinga

mandinga Member

We timed it last summer, 24 minutes from the time we started backing into the site, to completely setup. (food unpacked, solar setup, bikes removed from cargo area, chairs next to fire with beer opened). Popping the trailer at home in the driveway takes less that 3 minutes, its everything else that takes time.

I took a timelaps of the setup:

Orchid and jnc like this.
  11. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We have a Hybrid, large u dinette made up so when we stop its just a matter of running the slide out about 8 inches and crawl in bed.
    on occasion our X factor is our 6 yo grandson.

12. Turfit

Turfit New Member

I just got me one of those thermal French press, thinking that will reduce set-up time by at least 10%. :)
    My 22' HILO TT takes more time to level than our old PU. PU beds are beds, HILO TT bed is a table in the day and bed at night and I hate changing it daily. :-( Time changing it should be added to the setup.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We just got back from a quick weekend trip. I generally do not time stuff, but for me getting the roof/bunks out and door in is only a small fraction of setup. I don't cook inside, so the kitchen stuff gets unloaded and placed outside. Front trunk gets emptied of everything that is needed for the trip at hand - toolbox, camp tables and chairs, pugs, awning poles, lynx blocks, gray water hoses, power cords and city water hoses, collapsible wash basins, etc. This last trip while I was pulling stuff out my son worked the BAL to get it leveled and called out while I did the tongue. Then we can raise the roof and pull out the beds. Takes us about 20 min as we have to keep a close eye on the support poles. I need to re-crimp some as they have a tendency to come apart, as they did on this trip. That added another 20 min to use a load bar to jockey the roof into the right position to get the spring to slide back into the pole properly. Once the roof and bunks are out and secured, we have to shuttle clothing, bedding and food into the camper, and then work on getting all that set up. Have to pull various items out of the dinette bench storage - bunk fans, rugs for the aisle, bunk lights, and all the stuff for the tension shelves if I am putting those up. If the shelves go up it takes me about 20 min to get them configured correctly. The leftover Elfa stuff I used is not as conducive to a quick install as the stuff from Lowes/Home Depot.

Packup is even worse since it turns into a jigsaw puzzle. This last trip the sky opened up on us during tear down. We got everything down and hitched up in 90 min, which was close to a record for us, but that also meant we literally threw everything in the car that we could, and didn't bother too much with proper packing. So now I get to do that this week when I can pop it up to dry out the canvas and repack for the next trip.

Yes - I am one of those guys who takes the kitchen sink. I am not a fan of minimalist camping, I prefer my comfort and I bring entirely too much gear compared to most, but that is my choice, and is how I enjoy my camping these days.

CatzWilson, xxxapache and JPBar like this.
  14. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I couldn't have said it better, Sneezer. The popup portion is minimal for us as well; it's all the other fluff and that would ring true no matter if we had a tent, a 5-er or a Class A. We cook outside, bring extra chairs, dutch ovens, rugs, kayaks, etc. That's where the majority of our time goes.

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I didn't even think about having a pizza delivered to the campsite.

After watching City Slickers with Billy Crystal, I've never looked at a coffee grinder the same. I laughed so hard I was crying. I had a stampede when somebody shot a yearling. It all happened so fast - we heard the shot and then heard the cows and watched as they went through the fence and across the road. I didn't have many, but after getting them all rounded up, I was short one - the rustlers went one way and took their bounty under the fence and the cows went the other.

Was your awning stolen at the campsite? I've wondered about leaving everything outside -- the chairs, the stoves, grills, etc. Exactly how safe is everything?

16. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

This thread make me think of the days when I roamed solo in the north woods of MN camping in my pickup truck hunting and fishing. It had a simple fiberglas topper with windows that opened with screens. I had a foam pad, pillow and sleeping bag in the back ready to go, along with a cooler and lawn chair, and nylon loop straps against the roof for partially rigged fishing poles. Minimal gear carried in back of the extended cab. Would find a forest site near a lake or river, back in, set out the chair and cooler, and I was camping. Always bear aware, the cooler went into the passenger side of the cab at night. One minute setup.

17. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

When shopping for a new camper, that was the deal-breaker for me on several otherwise great campers. I get up really early, an hour or so before my wife, and go outside to make coffee. On rainy or frigid cold mornings, I want a place at a dinette inside to sit and drink coffee and read while she sleeps.

Turfit likes this.
  18. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

This was a major factor for us as well. I often get up an hour or more before my wife and absolutely need coffee in a comfortable spot (lousy back). A new factor for us is that we don't want to wake the other in the middle of the night by having to climb over when getting out of bed to used the facilities. Which meant the dinette was also used as a bed, so no where for me to go for coffee. ;) So when we started with talking about longer trips longer than 2 weeks, this was one of the factors that had us start looking for more space. We did 8 weeks once in a 21' hybrid with our kids and would like to start planning more of those longer term adventures with just the 2 of us.

(Just realizing this has absolutely nothing to do with the thread title: 7.5 mins setup time...oops...)

19. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Was your awning stolen at the campsite? I've wondered about leaving everything outside -- the chairs, the stoves, grills, etc. Exactly how safe is everything?[/QUOTE]
    No it was while we were at Red Lobster having lunch on the way back home. Truthfully, we had a post here some time ago and asked if anyone has ever had an issue with things being stolen at the campsite and I think only (1) person had something taken and that was out west somewhere. Lots of people posted that they often leave valuables out but at the CG's everyone looks out for each other and 99.99% never have an issue.

Orchid likes this.
  20. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

If you had said Walmart I wouldn't be surprised. But Red Lobster? Kinda makes you want to stick to drive-thru's.