7-Pin Connector to 4-Pin Connector Adaptors?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Cap't Nat, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Cap't Nat

Cap't Nat New Member

Hello! I'm actively shopping for used a used popup. I have a 4 Pin Connector on my vehicle and want to be ready to fetch a trailer having a 7 Pin connector, without needing to first have 7-pin connector installed. (Some I'm looking at are 7, some are 4).

What are the options for 7-pin to 4-pin adaptors, and where the heck do I get one?

TIA!

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

buy on line or at local RV store, I had the adapter hard mounted on my Jeep for over a ear before I put in the full 7-pin system.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You are going to need a female 7 pin rv socket anyway. I would just buy one and add a 4 pin male to it. I wouldn’t buy a one piece adapter because you will need to add the socket to your tow vehicle. Just my 2 cents

Rusty2192 likes this.
  4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Probably good to do the conversion now. Brakes are cool and fun! :)

But if you just wanna get it home and won't be needing brakes, I suspect any adapter will be just fine. Test your lights before you hit the road. That's all the 4-pin gives you anyway.

Kyle R Thorson and Cap't Nat like this.
  5. Cap't Nat

Cap't Nat New Member

Thanks, and Sorry, I'm not quite following - could you fill in a bit more detail? I have a flat 4-pin female socket on the tow vehicle, and would expect a matching trailer connection would be the male 4-pin. Wouldn't a 4-pin to 7-pin adapter present the 7-pin female socket to the male 7-pin trailer end?

Attached Files:

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You could go with something like this. Which plugs into your current flat four on the TV for the trailer lights connection and give you both flat 4 and seven round sockets for the trailer plug. The additional wires can be hooked up later as needed.

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Assuming you have trailer brakes, there is no "conversion" as you need to wire up at least some of the additional pins.

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If I was unclear, I meant to suggest that the TV be actually wired for 7-pin. An adapter is certainly not a conversion.

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

like Rusty suggested ....... sorry I don't have any internet at work ......use this one
    145-5828017-1850909

11. Anthony Hitchings

You can do it any way you like - its your choice. Cruise the online catalogues. I used one of the devices linked above, until I finally made my TV truly 7-pin (all conductors active).

I also have spare female and male 7-pin connectors that I use for trouble shooting.

Prior to the acquiring our camper, all my trailer towing used a 4-pin flat.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I would just get the vehicle wired up for a proper 7 way..

13. RCmom

RCmom Active Member

Pre purchase, I had the same problem. Since I didn't know what my camper would have until I found it and bought it, I opted for a magnetic set of LED trailer/brake lights with a 4 flat pin that were temporary. I keep them with my spare tire now for emergencies. Better than a flare especially in fire hazzard areas.

After finding my camper and buying it, I installed an rv 7 blade with a 4 pin slot to my TV. I have a small utility trailer with a 4 pin flat hookup that I use often besides my pup that has a 7 blade so I opted to have the outlet with both on my TV instead of using an adapter.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have this one.

7 blade to 4 flat adapter

Had to pick up a new trailer for our scout troop. The guy I went with only had a 4 flat, and the trailer had 7. Since it was empty I wasn't worried too much about brakes, and this worked great without having the extra wires hanging loose.

Home Depot also sells one like linked previously that would allow you to wire the extra features in. The 7 blade supports electric trailer brakes and constant 12v power for lights, etc.

My pup has a 7 blade, but no electric brakes as it has surge brakes instead.

15. danzawxx@gmailcom

[email protected] New Member

What most folks are trying to say here, but some in a confusing way, that there is no 4 pin female to a 7 pin round socket. The reason for this is because the trailer has electric brakes installed on it and a 4 wire flat does not accommodate that. In actuality you'll need to install a 7 round connector and have the extra circuit breaker and brake wires added to you vehicle before you can hook up to a 7 round socket. Hope this helps.

16. kenbrady

kenbrady New Member

Danzawax is correct. you can not buy a converter for Tow vehicle 4 pi to trailer 7 pin. It would be defeating the breaks. Not allowed. Maybe amazon sells it as some places don't care about safety or laws.

17. Anthony Hitchings

I had one installed. About a year later I did the full conversion, now that fitting is in my attic. As-manufactured my Camper had 7-pin cord but no ebrakes.

18. mowmow

mowmow Member

My Outback only had a 4 pin port when we bought our popup last summer. We bought a 4pin to 7pin adapter, had about a four hour drive home. Thought we were prepared with a temporary setup to make it home.
    It wouldn't work. No lights at all. Husband tried everything.
    Ended up stopping at the first auto parts store we found and bought another connector, still wouldn't work. Since we were driving on a busy freeway we absolutely needed brake and signal lights.
    Husband ended up cutting off the popup plug and wiring them directly to a male 4pin plug but for some weird reason if I put on the right light they all flashed. But at least the back lights and left worked.
    I drove, figuring I could talk my way out of a ticket better than my husband, lol. We made it home safely.

Husband installed that 7pin port in the Outback that also still has the 4 pin one, kinda cool, got it all hooked up and did a really nice job running the wire and shielding it, etc. It looks very professional, and I must say I was kinda impressed.
    Then we got a new plug end for the popup and put that on.
    Then bought a Tekonsha brake controller and installed that.
    Then replaced all the old lights with new LEDs and you can see us from a mile away.

You'll need the 7 pin anyway if you're going to tow anything with brakes, so just get it done before you go pick it up if you can and you'll save yourself the stress and circus we went through.

Stroker Ace Ventura likes this.
  19. ltatlock

ltatlock New Member

Our Equinox came with 4 pin. I purchased a Hopkins muti-tow adapter on e-trailer. It has wires for brakes if needed. Now we can tow with either a 4 pin or 7 pin trailer connector.

20. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was going to say...just do it right the 1st time and have a safe drive home. Better yet, you'll know if the trailer's brakes work or not. You'll also need a brake controller for your trailer brakes to work. Tekonsha P3 is what I have and I love it. Easy to set up and use even for multiple trailers.

Stroker Ace Ventura likes this.