7-Pin Connector to 4-Pin Connector Adaptors?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Cap't Nat, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

Can't Nat, How temporary will the four pin connection from the car side be? Just to get a trailer home? That you have a 7 pin connection on a trailer implies it has electric brakes, implying it is heavy enough to warrant having brakes. That added trailer momentum without dedicated brakes may further reduce the car's ability to safely slow and stop the combined rig. The four pin connection on the car won't supply the electrical power to the trailer's electric brakes, regardless of adaptation.
    You'll need to add a controller (to apply a proportional amount of current to the trailer brakes), wiring from that controller to the trailer's brake circuit in the trailer's 7 pin plug, and possibly wiring from the car's 12 volt circuitry to the brake controller (some are pre-wired to that point, our Audi was, our prior VW wasn't).

I'm personally partial to hydraulic trailer brakes for the simplicity and lack of additional tow vehicle modifications, but the trailer manufacturer made a choice, we wanted that model, and it was less trouble to add the needed circuits to the t-v than to change the trailer.

2. jus kitty

jus kitty designed a *Fillmore* t shirt ..havin fun! Gold Supporting Member

240910617_537775787301210_7544862071937358629_n.jpg 241309499_544386186826092_1172394505544262785_n1.jpg

HELP!!
    THIS ON MY TRAILER
    can some one help or let me know what i need to do as Cant find a 7 pin male like this An have no clue how or what i need to connect to my truck,,
    (on a budget here.LOL
    thanks everone!!
    kitty

3. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Considering the market, if you find a popup that you want that has 7-pin, I think you should go for it - contrary to some of the other advice to have your TV fully wired & prepared. Now, if it's the case that you buy a trailer heavy enough to warrant electric brakes and/or live in a state with applicable trailer brake laws - it's expected that you'd get your brake controller and complete your 7-pin wiring. I don't think you should miss a sale because of it. Buy one of the cheap adapters folks have linked from Amazon. If anything should happen on that one-time trip home - just don't plan on showing them my post. [:D]

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

5. jus kitty

jus kitty designed a *Fillmore* t shirt ..havin fun! Gold Supporting Member

well didnt think bout that .LOL
    long week kit!

6. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

You're looking for something like the link below. 8 pin, 7 male and one female on your end (and the reverse on the plug):

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Pigtails-...7NWW8ZI/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B007NWW8ZI&psc=1