7 Prong Electric Truck Receiver for towing

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by vmswilliamson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

[PUT] First of all, I just want to say that we have been towing our trailer for the past 15 years. But, when we purchased a lovely used 2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost truck with built in tow package, we ran into a problem, our refrigerator was set for running on battery when we were traveling to and from the campground and the new TV did not charge the battery or provide power to the refrigerator to keep it cold [:(]. This is our first experience with having this happen. I've read that manufacturers will sometimes not fully wire the receiver. Is this true? When I take it in to the dealer [MOD] what questions should I be asking them? I want to be prepared so that I make sure they rectify the problem. Experts what do you think?

2. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Probably needs a fuse is all, they don't always install the power fuse when building.

3. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Relay or fuse. It may be in the truck somewhere with other wires in a bag. Read your owners manual.

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Probably just need a relay. I just added one to my '02 F150 with the factory tow package for the same reason.

Check Relay number 9 in the box under the hood. My guess is the spot is empty. You just need to pick up the appropriate relay either from a dealer or auto parts store.

Also check fuses 21 and 54 in the same box as they also mention the trailer charge circuit.

These are all from the owners manual. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/11f12og3e.pdf

5. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

nevermind

6. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

Wow! Thank you, so appreciate the suggestions.

7. rccs

rccs Member

My brother-in-law had the same problem with his Ford. We checked it out while on a camping trip together and found that Ford was to cheep to put the relay and fuse in for the charging line to the 7 pin factory tow package plug. What good is having the 7 pin plug if they don't do it all?

8. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

They're in the glove box when bought new. Most of the time they get tossed by the detail guy if bought used.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk