7 things not to do at a campground!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by icsopris, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Always better than CNN!

2. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Hay good looking, we'll be back to pick you up later...

3. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Feed the raccoons and skunks on purpose and throwing food around the campground to draw them in even more... Yes I have seen this, as well as their kids trying to get squirrels and chipmunks to eat out of their hands

4. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Heh, we used to camp with a few families in a very rustic campground that was usually only filled with our friends. The teens all decided it was 'prank wars' weekend. One rule, nothing damaging or that will awake the parental units.

My suggestion to our brood was to stuff marshmallows along the edge of the opposing teens tent. Worked like a dream, lol...they barely slept all night.
    Luckily we were only in a raccoon area, no bears or other scaries to be found.

5. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] The great thing about getting on in years is that You can check into the campgroung in your Travel Trailer or Motorhome on a Sunday afternoon and enjoy a mostly empty park until you check out on Friday morning. This way you normally don't have to put up with the weekend crap, barking dogs, and yelling rug rats that have never been taught any mannors. I will enjoy camping this way until I cross over the river, which I will do very quietly when it comes.

6. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

+1 on this!

We just recently ventured back in to the state park system here in Michigan. We camped from a Sunday to Wednesday and were blessed with just awesome times. There were kids, but most all were with their grandparents. Well behaved and early to bed. It was really pleasant and we're looking forward to our next off-peak trip.

7. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

The worst I've experienced was Mr. Chainsaw. I guess a hatchet or a machete was too slow or to much work. He liked to saw up huge dead logs to feed his rather large fire. Surprisingly it wasn't against the rules (I think he might have been a friend or relative of the CG owner) at this private park. As the CG host passed by while Mr. Chainsaw was in action (about 5 pm) I gave him a questioning look with raised palms? He just shook his head but said nothing to the noise polluter. We stayed there 2 nights and the saw ran for about 1/2 hr each afternoon.

Chip

8. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

While certainly annoying, that 1/2 hour a day was actually not bad. Usually inconsiderate morons have no time schedule.

9. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

Re: Power Tool Guy. What the heck!?? Seriously? lol. I would have videotaped it or the sound and put it on youtube. lol.

There was a loud country music radio guy at our campsite the other day as well but he was farther from us. it was only on during the day but seems so odd when there is only one site with blasting music. lol

10. Jean

Jean New Member

I agree, this would be awesome. But, some of us are still constrained by work/school schedules. It isn't that we WANT to camp with everyone. It's that we HAVE to camp with everyone.

Jean

11. crazyazcat

crazyazcat Member

I've had to do a "late arrival" before but it certainly wasn't on purpose. I held the tent down only with the corners and put the sleeping bags in it. Everything else stayed in the car so we could be as quiet as possible. I stepped on the stakes instead of hammering them, etc.

I'm glad they didn't have "do it" on the list or I would have called the whole thing a bunch of bologna!

12. OldTimer1

OldTimer1 New Member

The one time that I had a major problem and arrived after the sun set, we basically cooked dinner on the grill and slept in the truck until sun up and then pitched the tent.

13. icsopris

icsopris Is it Friday yet?

We experienced Rule #8 this last weekend - Always put car keys in a safe, secure location!

It's never fun when in the dead of the night a car alarm starts going off.

A few spots away, 2:30am, car alarm going off and poor guy is frantically running around his site, camper, bear box, and looking hi and low for the car keys. Not sure what tripped the alarm, but took the guy 10 minutes to find his keys! Everyone cheered when the alarm finally went silent.

Now back to sleep.

Happy Camping!

14. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

That's why my keys are always on the counter next to the bed.

15. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Genevieve,
    We camp only on the weekends and usually in MI State Parks. We've had a few unfortunate incidents, but in general, they have certainly been few and far between. If you can go exclusively during the week, we all envy you. If you can't, don't write off all the parks. After almost 30+ years of MI SP camping, we can count our negative experiences only on one hand. I don't think that's half bad! We are blessed to have such beautiful places to visit in the Midwest! [CP]

16. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

How about the family that leaves a flood light or other light burning most of the night as it shines into other camp sites, LIKE OURS!!!

17. ghri49

ghri49 Member

I have been camping since I was about 8 months old and I am sure that there are a few times early on I cant remember but I would say I have had only about 5 bad camping experiences. The worst one is was when there was a 4X4 conference going on at the campground we were at. The Campground has like 30 miles of OHV trails. The campground was slam packed with Off road 4x4's and 4wheelers and dirt bikes. all three nights they would stay up late working on there toys with hammers and spotlights and anything else they could do to make noise. I think we were the only one at the CG that was not there for the Off road event.

By Far worst weekend ever [:(]

18. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

I like that list, except ... We have HAD TO set up in the dark - you try sleeping in a 2 door Monte Carlo when you are both 6' and have kiddos in there too! [LOL] I've only done a dark-set-up 2, maybe 3(?)x and honestly did our best to keep it quiet and dark. You can attend to the details at dawn [;)]

19. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We've only have had to set-up late at nite once. That's when we went to New York. And we had to set-up in the rain too! Luckly there wasn't anyone close by to disturb. Thank God! That was the fastest set-up ever! [{}=]

Campit

20. PeterP

PeterP Member

How about add to that list a prohibition on driving through someone's campsite. Happened to us a couple of weeks ago. I had to go pick up something, left with the truck, my wife stayed behind withe popup which was all set up and some yahoo came steaming through in his pickup. Wish I was there! [:(!]