70 degrees in March = A Early Start to the Season

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by mercman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

We took advantage of last weeks warm weather by taking off from work, loading up the camper and kayaks and went to nearby 12,000 acre Beartown State Forest in Western Massachusetts. As I've reported before in my reviews of this park, it is the only state park open year round for camping in the western end of MA and are lucky to live only 15 minutes away.
    We arrived to a empty CG around lunch time, set up camp, grilled burgers, went hiking on two of the numerous trails then returned to our site for nachos, margaritas and a great campfire. We spent the night listening to the quiet and later walked down to the lake to see the gorgeous night sky, which was clear and full of stars. The only noise we heard the whole night was a owl.
    Our second day was spent kayaking and one more trail adventure. This a great "rustic" state park with a large pond, sandy beach area, plenty of trails and forest to discover. Modern bathrooms are at the beach but no showers. The CG has 2 solar powered composting toilets and one water spigot for the 13 sites there. Sites are well spaced out and for only $8 per night, a real bargain.
    I couldn't think of a better way to spend a "winters" day in New England, here's a few photos from our trip and plenty of the park from other trips there in my photo album.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

It looks beautiful! It must have been a great weekend, and for only $8/night!! Can't wait to get out and go camping again.

3. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Thanks, It was a real treat for us to go this early. The state parks might be small and not very developed but that's fine with me, I just need the nature. The low price is reflected in what services are offered at the specific park. "Roughing it" isn't too hard to do with a pop-up :)