$70 Electric Lift System

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by 1985sr5, Aug 28, 2016.

1. 1985sr5

1985sr5 New Member

So i thought i would just share what i did to make my popup from a manual crank to a push of a botton.

So it all started when i found a damaged cable for my lift system. So i decited to install an 12v electric 2000lb winch i got for Christmas last year and have never used. The mod was very easy to do.

First i removed the old hand crank assembly with the roof in the down position. Next i cut off the legs that are welded to it so i could reuse them. Than i removed and plastic from the new winch so i didn't melt it with the welder. Next i removed any paint from the bottom of the new winch so i have a nice clean Surface to weld to and welded the legs i cut off the old unit.

Installing it was easy since the bolt holes line right up. For the cable i use 3 3/16 cable clamps to hold it on the plate with the four cables.

Powered it up and works beautifully. I will be adding i limit switch so i can not go to high.

Parts i bought
    $65 for the winch
    $1.50 for all 3 clamps

Attached Files:

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Nice work. Do you have a way to operate it if you have no electric power?

3. 1985sr5

1985sr5 New Member

This winch dose have a spot for a hand crank but i still need to extend where the handle need to hook up.also the hole on the camper is a little off but i should be able to widen it to where the little door will still cover it. Ill post some pics when im done with it

By the way i did this last night in 2 hours

4. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

I've thought about doing this very same thing as it would cut the work of setting up and packing up by nearly half! Are you able to use this crank without a battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. benandbobbi

benandbobbi Member

nice job. what size camper is that?

6. 1985sr5

1985sr5 New Member

The camper is a 1991 jayco king 6 the camper box is just under 14 fett long.

And sorry i havent had the time to build the hand crank yet but ill do it soon and share it as soon as im done.

Thank you

7. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Thanks so much for this information. I'm trying to find someone to install a winch on my Jayco 12HW and having a major problem doing so. No one seems to want to work on popups. Maybe when I show them this post they'll change their minds. Oh, I'm not able to do this myself, no equipment, no ability, etc.

8. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I tried to get somebody to repair my sideboards and they would do it either. Have you looked into using a cordless drill and a Socket Jenie?

Roux 'b Doux likes this.
  9. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Thanks for the idea and I did try a cordless drill but used, get ready, a spade bit from the drill, it worked okay, but was not quite strong enough. What's a Socket Jenie? (ignorance wins out in this case)

10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

The Socket Jenie fits on a drill and when inserted into the crank part on the camper, it operates the lift.

11. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Mamie, thanks again for the info, I'll look for a Socket Jenie and get one. I just finished fighting a drill with a spade bit, not the best way to get the camper up. I don't recommend the spade bit method.

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

I never thought about a spade bit, but I can see where that wouldn't work too well. It probably beat you to death. If I knew where to have a piece milled, I'd have one made to fit.
    After I get my camper where I can use it, I might try to figure something out later to make it easier to setup.

13. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I have the factory winch but have had problems with it. I like the looks of your winch. Can you tell me what brand, model #, etc.?

14. Roux 'b Doux

Roux 'b Doux New Member

Mamie, disparate times brought disparate measures. The spade bit was what I had and I was unaware of the Socket Jenie (the spelling I got). Now that I know it exists I'm checking the size of my crank shaft(?) to be sure I order the right size and hope for fast delivery. I'd have had one made but didn't know anyone who could do that. I'll let you know how the Socket Jenie goes.

I forgot one thing. I got some spray slide conditioner/oil and sprayed all the slides and uprights for the lift, it has helped a great deal. Everything is easier to use and even I can do most of it by myself.