77 Palomino - NO LIFT SYSTEM???????

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by ammcf, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ammcf

ammcf New Member

I was just given a 77 Palomino - hard side. When the guy showed me how to set it up, he climbed inside, lifted it on his shoulders and pushed out the hinged walls to get the top to stay up! There are bars/poles/braces on the outside that have collars that lock over the hinge once it's up, but no evidence of a lift system of any kind. I even crawled underneath to see if there was any evidence of a cable/chain system ever being on the trailer and can't find a trace of it.

1) Is this normal for this era of pop-ups?
    2) Any suggestions on how to "make" a system for it?

2. phipps

phipps Member

Sounds like it has an "external" lift system. I think there should be either springs or possibly torsion bars to assist with lifting.

3. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

We have an old Palomino with an external lift system and the PO that showed us how to set it up did it the "hard way." My hubby and I are very able people, but they told us you need 4 people to set it up - not true.

On ours, our external lift system has bars on the outside too, but they have springs inside of them (you can't see them). When lift the first side up (rear side) and put the clips into place (the springs do most of the lifting). Then we pop up the tongue side and put the clips in place. You should not have to get inside and push up.

The ONLY thing is that if the springs are worn out, which can happen over time, they will not do all the work for you. This may be why the guy lifted the weight on his shoulders (but it could also be that he did not know how else to put it up). You can get replacement springs if need be for about $50 a piece last time I checked them out.

We have found it is easiest when lifting, to grab the external bars as soon as possible and make them stand straight up (again one side at a time), lock it into place and then do the other side.

Now that we are used to it, the pup goes up quicker than our crank up one did!!! I hope this helps. We have to pop her up this weekend, and if you would like, I would be happy to take pis of "the process." Let me know. Below is a picture of my camper. Do you have arms that look similar??

[​IMG]

4. raymonk

raymonk New Member

In the early 70's my parents had a camper with this kind of lift system. Never remember any problem with setting it up. If you ever need to replace these, consider yourself lucky.You'll have no winch cables or pulleys to deal with. Aftermarket kits for the complete system cost less than 400 dollars and a lot easier to replace where a winch and cable system will cost well over 1000.

5. raymonk

raymonk New Member

6. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Hey Shulashack.... YES, please take some pics... I'll try to get some pics of mine put on here... the lift system doesn't look exactly like yours...

7. ammcf

ammcf New Member

OK, here's a picture of the Palomino 1977, fold-a-wall that I was given. You can see the "arms" on the outside...
    [​IMG]

This picture is of the hinges - one of which just broke right above the hinge!
    [​IMG]

I've looked at the ones they sell for Palomino nowadays and they look WAY different. I'm not sure they'll fit mine. Any suggestions?

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our Palomino w/tenting only has different arms. We saw one similar to yours on our last trip. It had huge springs attached underneath the floor to assist in lifting the arms. I believe it was a Viking with the hard-side fold out/up walls in the box section. The arms did not have a hinge like yours, but otherwise looked a lot like them. The spring I saw was about the size of the ones our garage door uses.

I suggest emailing your pics to Canvas Replacements and seeing what they have to offer. We bought our replacement arms from them last year, which they apparently fabricate. (They have ones just like the original too.) The ones we got were a better design and it seemed as though someone thought through the problems that had occurred with the original design, tearing out of the aluminum, for example, and tried to improve on the design.

9. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Thanks Kitphantom... curious, where can I find canvas replacements? Do they have a website?

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

canvasreplacements.com

They also have an ebay store, but for the lift issue emailing or phoning and then sending the pics they need them would be better.

When I needed new canvas support rail last year, that was what I did, and it worked fine.

11. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

The system you have is called a heco lift. They are right about the canvasreplacements.com for the arm parts. if the springs are worn then they aren't as EZ-up as some of those systems are also called. You could replace the springs or:

I have a Sun-Lite Thunderbird (also a hard-sider) and here's the trick I use:

take two ratchet tie downs and a come along hand winch. Hook either to the eye bolts on the lower arm(the part that goes under the pup) or to the spring loop with the ratchet tie downs. do this on either end. between the tie downs hook in the hand winch. take the slack out with the ratchets and then do the "heavy lifting" with the winch. You'll then of course have the walls to push out and secure with the clasps above the door and on the opposite wall from the door. when you are ready to lower the top down just undo the ratchets and let gravity do the rest. after unlatching the walls of course.

12. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Sounds like you have it figured out... but I'm not sure I'm following you. Could you give it another try at explaining?

13. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:
    here's the camper just before we bought it:
    [​IMG]

All popped up in "camp driveway":

[​IMG]

My "lift system":

[​IMG]

and a close up of the connection to the helper springs:

[​IMG]

14. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Wow! That is a GREAT idea! I think it would work for mine, looks exactly the same as yours except that one of the lift arms just snapped right above the hinge... I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to fix it/replace it, or if I'm going to have to go for some other kind of modification on the lift...

15. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Here's a picture of the broken hinge... any suggestions or ideas are GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    [​IMG]

16. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

If you plan on doing something, do it right. Call Canvas replacements and get a new set...then you will have years and years of worry free use of your pup.

JJ

17. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

18. ammcf

ammcf New Member

What a LIFESAVER you are TGWagers! That's exactly what I need... THANKS

19. biffdumas

biffdumas New Member

I have basically the same setup, I am having trouble with mine as well. Mine is a 1988 Viking VI240. It is hard as hell to lift, and comes down like a building collapsing. I can change the springs, if that will fix it, but I am not sure it will.

20. ammcf

ammcf New Member

Biffdumas - I've still not made any headway on buliding/devising any kind of lift system for this thing. I've toyed around with ideas but have never committed to building anything yet. I'll post here when I do.