8 days in heaven

Mr. Bill

PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
I got back on Sunday from 8 days of camping. It was great. Sorry not too many pics so I am not posting them.

On Saturday we left for the campground (I wanted to leave earlier in case we had trouble but we ended up leaving around noon) and the trip was uneventful. GPSy lead me right to where I needed to go. Unfortunately she took me the "front way". It included a .2 mile 60deg hill on a one lane road with a turn about 3/4 of the way up. The drivers side was a drop off with no guard rail. [:O] My TV made it but I had it floored the last 50 yards and was only going about 5-10 mph up the steep grade. At the top the hill took a steep dive down to the entrance. When I was checking in, I mentioned the hill and the owner told me I should have come in the "back way" [:O] . The back way was much easier and I went that way the rest of the time (minus one trip the other way as a confidence builder). The owner mentioned that many times he has had to go out and hook up to someones camper and tow them in because they came the front way.

The site we had reserved had two different levels neither of which I wanted to try backing into since I know I would have put the PUP bumper into the hill side and had to have the tongue jack out very far. They told me a travel trailer had gotten in there fine (sure but they have more clearance). We drove around a few sites and decided on one that allowed us to park sideways with trees behind us and the road in front. It was heaven. Only bad part was we were going to check out 1 day earlier because the site was rented for Friday night.

DS and I found a site that had firewood $10/wheelbarrow. We had a fire every night and didn't run out till Friday morning. Great deal!!

By Sunday everyone in my section was gone! We had the whole area to ourselves. Like boon-docking with water and elect. I was taking showers at the outside shower at 11pm and drying off by the fire. Heaven!!

We went to bed when we wanted, got up when we wanted and had no real schedule.

We were going to canoe/kayak out of the campground (one of the reasons I chose it) because they had their own section of a river just for the campground but we had no cell reception and if anyone was injured there was no way to call for help. We ended up going to Mohican Wilderness and doing a 5 mile trip (plenty long since DW(47), DS(8), and DD(13) started out in canoe with me in kayak). About 500 yards and many trips from shore to shore (DW would ask what to do and DD would not give good directions -it was fun to watch but I could see DD getting frustrated). I put DD in kayak and got in the back of the canoe. DW would ask what to do and I told her it didn't matter, she could paddle either side or not paddle at all; I would take care of everything. At one point we put DS in front and let him paddle. DS kept complaining that he didn't get to be in kayak and I told him he wasn't experienced enough. DD has canoed/kayaked at camp. Rest of the river was a nice ride. I finally put DS in a kayak in a large pond a couple of days later and he realized he was clueless. I gently reminded him that he said he could handle a kayak and he admitted maybe Dad was right not to put him on moving water with no experience. We are making plans to take a kayaking class at one of the parks (since I live right on lake Erie) so they get better.

We also took the time to ride horses (DW and DD). DS had to go on bridle trail because he was too young and I waited with him. We signed up to shoot rifles. Kids had never done that before. Boy were they naturals. Once the instructor gave them a safety lecture and basic instruction they went to town. They would call out what they were going to shoot and put one right on target. Sure they were only 22's but it gave them something to remember. We ended up doing the rifles 2 different days and doing archery another.

DS and I fished, we all went swimming, and DW had meals planned out pretty well. [CK] Nights were so quite and we were so secluded that I would walk around the PUP and get naked, take a shower and dry by the fire after everyone was bedded down for the night.

Because we had to leave a day earlier we decided to change CG's. We found one 6 miles away we had been to last year and ended up extending our trip by one day to get two days in the other CG.

We had 2 major thunderstorms the last 2 nights and one other storm earlier in the week and stayed dry the entire time. A couple other TT's lost their awnings but mine stayed staked down fine the entire time. I ended up putting it away wet again but had it up within 4 hours to dry out.

We have only been on the one trip this year so far but plan on at least one more long weekend before school starts. I really enjoyed the time and look forward to spending a week next year. If I had the time, I would do a couple more week long trips.

Sorry for the long post but it was a blast.

Yellowkayak

Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you
Mar 13, 2007
He is in such heavenly bliss, he forgot to mention where it was! [LOL]

JJ

Mr. Bill

Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
I didn't mention that we started in a small camp called Toodik Family Campground. The only real complaint about them is the woman's bathroom was not up to DW's standard. I didn't have a problem with mine. But they were NOT "very clean" as advertised. The lack of wifi/cell coverage for getting weather reports since it changed so rapidly was another drawback.

We moved to Whispering Hills RV park

Mr. Bill

Apr 27, 2009
Geneva, OH
armyguy said:
No cell service because you were in Amish country....they do not lease land for cell towers.
Well......If I had Verizon I would have had great coverage. I have learned that AT&T basically sucks. They may have the fastest 3G network but if you don't have a huge service area it is easy to provide the coverage in the big cities. Don't get me wrong, when I first moved here Verizon sucked worse and alltel, while they used to say come and get your love, didn't provide the love when I had a phone problem. Their answer was to purchase a new phone at full price or sign up for two more years -until the day I switched and then they tried to bend over backwards wanting to accommodate me. I went with AT&T at the time because they had the best network in the area I lived and worked. Since then, Verizon has made the most strides. I will switch back to them come February when I don't have to pay a disconnect fee. Meanwhile I will switch the rest of the family and lower my minutes to the lowest I can handle.

zee

May 1, 2010
Precious family moments like this trip will be forever etched in all of your memories. Times like these are PRICELESS!!! Way to go!!!