8 Way Square connector - to 12v battery

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by gelham01, May 13, 2019.

1. gelham01

gelham01 New Member

I currently have a 8 way square connector coming from my 1996 Palomino Filly popup. How would I connect this to a 12v battery when dry camping? I am VERY new to the popup world, and would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand what you're asking - why would you want to connect this 8-pin to a battery? [?:~{]

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

this how my battery was wired by previous owner or dealer.
    The batt neg went to a common ground clamp under the trailer
    The batt + had a in line fuse at the battery and was splice into the "charge line" that was wired from the trailer connector to the power center/converter.
    battert.jpg

4. gelham01

gelham01 New Member

The reason I mentioned the 8 pin is because that's the only wires I have, which are all going to the 8 pin. This 8 pin connects to a 4 pin adaptor and connects to my vehicle when towing. When docked, I was hoping I could connect the 8 pin to the battery instead of doing any splicing.

5. gelham01

gelham01 New Member

So this would charge the battery while connected to the vehicle, and would work as the power source when disconnected from vehicle?

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

yes if the vehicle is capable of charging and wires in the connector are connected to the vehicle (your 8 to 4 adapter does not do that), as for hooking the battery to the 8 square, you need to find the pin that is the charge line 12v+ and connect it to the batt + (fused at battery) connect the 12v- batt to its correlated pin or connect the 12v- batt to trailer frame.

7. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Are you asking because you do not have a battery for your popup? If that's the case, I would strongly recommend against using your tow vehicle's battery for dry camping. Those aren't deep cycle batteries, and you'll end up with a dead TV battery in no time.

First step would be too install a deep cycle battery on the popup.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Those trailer connectors are really just for required trailer safety lights when towing... Although they have a 12V hot lead they really don't do much for charging your battery. It would be more like a trickle charge due to the small size of the cable leads...

Like said above you should get a battery hooked up and working on your trailer and then you can start looking at ways to re-charge your trailer battery... Plugging into shore power is one way or hooking up to a generator is another way. Using an external battery charger direct connected to the batteries plugged into the generator is another way. I use a RV 30A to 15A long dogbone type adaptor cord (WALMART) with my 2KW Honda generator to charge my trailer batteries... When they are 50% depleted it takes around three hours run time being on charger to get them back up to their 90% charge state... At 90% charge state my batteries have almost 90% of their performance back...

In my case we do a lot of camping off the power grid and I have a larger battery bank. My idea is to have enough batteries to do what I want to do in a one day/night run off my batteries and not run down below my 50% charge state which is around 12.0VDC.

Then at 8AM each morning during breakfast I will run my 2KW generator when allowed to recharge my battery bank from it 50% charge state to its 90% charge state so we can do this all over again for the next day/night run off the batteries. Hooking the trailer up to the generator uses the on-board Power Converter to recharge the batteries just like hooking up to shore power.

Been doing this way for several years and it is all second nature now when camping off the power grid...

It was all about planning in my case on what worked best. Found out just showing up at the camp site it usually got dark on us around 9-10PM haha...

Just like the post above says - don't mess with your truck 12VDC system. This is your only way to get back home haha... Plugging your trailer into your truck setup should only be for the required trailer SAFETY lights...

Also my trailer break-away system requires the use of my charged and working 'trailer battery' in the event it becomes disconnected from the truck going down the US public roads. This then applies the trailer brakes to stop the run away trailer as fast as possible... This is an DOT SAFETY requirement based on your trailer size and weight here in Virginia.

Just like everything else, everyones case is different based on what they are wanting to do. This is what works for me haha... I do this a lot for my 3-5 days of camping somewhere off grid. Then when I get back home the first thing I do a full 100% charge on my trailer batteries which usually takes 12-14 hours or so to do...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

hi gelham01

I would not expect a '96 model PU (with original power center/converter) to have battery charger capability while plugged in utility/generator power.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I've learned with campers you really need to trace wires and make sure where they go. Is your camper equipped for a battery?