801 duck, unknown vintage

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by Amarada, May 21, 2020 at 2:07 PM.

1. Amarada

Amarada New Member

I am starting to get deeper into fixing up this NTM 801 duck. I do not have a title, I do not find a vin (only a scrap of label near the door and possibly some unreadable numbers on the tongue?) I think it is 1990's. I have three questions:
    1. how can I date it? The table is pedestal style, and there are two pinstripes (one green and one white) and a decal of "Dutchmen" with a goofy duck in the "D".
    2. I have downloaded a 1994 manual I found online and it was TOTALLY not what I'm looking for. I really would love a manual, though it may not exist.
    3. Does a wiring diagram exist? or is there a post about what it "should" look like? three outlets do not work, but the dome light and one outlet do work. I have not found a battery yet, but there does seem to be a heater and a converter. My hubby is an engineering tech and could rework it all, but we need to know what our end goal is!! BTW, I have been in the portal for only a week and ya'll are ONE AMAZING HIVEMIND!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If by "outlets" you're referring to duplex 120 vac receptacles then the ones that don't work are likely all on one circuit and probably protected by GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) that has either tripped or is faulty and needs to be replaced.

3. Amarada

Amarada New Member

Yes, I did see GFCI on one of them (a little sticker), but they don't have the reset button like I have in my house. My DH keeps asking me if anyone has a wiring diagram, so he can start tracing/testing the wiring. I am interested in working receptacles, he is interested in bigger stuff, lol!

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Pretty difficult to come up with a relevant wiring diagram when you aren't at all sure exactly what Dutchmen camper you have. :oops: According to this NADA listing Coachmen didn't start manufacturing "camping trailers" until 1994, including the M-801-Duck. If it helps, here's the Dutchmen manual download webpage.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 2:50 PM
    Amarada likes this.
  5. Amarada

Amarada New Member

I know!!!! Would pictures help if someone "knows their ducks"?

6. Amarada

Amarada New Member

20200514_183200.jpg 20200516_162823.jpg 20200516_162149.jpg

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The sticker just means that receptacle is protected by a GFCI. There's another receptacle in there with the two buttons, test and reset. Someone could have just put a sticker on it, also, and it means nothing. Or, there was a GFCI there and someone removed it. Camper troubleshooting can be like a can of whoop ass when you follow previous owners mods.

Amarada likes this.
  8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

there may be two electrical systems, one is DC (runs off of battery) and the other is AC (often called shore power or 110v). Typically, stuff like the lights, water pump, and furnace use the DC power. Outlets and air conditioners use AC current and will only run if the camper is plugged in (outlet at the house or at the campground). There can be a converter that converts AC power to DC to run the DC items in the absence of a battery or when the camper is plugged into shore power.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  9. Fless

Fless Active Member

Is there a weight sticker on the driver's side (left) panel, near the front of the camper, that shows the weight values? If so, that may have a clue as to what model number it is and the date of mfr. My former Coleman's looked like this:

2002_Coleman_Cheyenne_VIN_Sticker_Cropped_resized.jpg

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

There can be a converter that converts AC power to DC to run the DC items in the absence of a battery ONLY when the camper is plugged into shore power.

Amarada likes this.
  11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

correct - a slight mistype on my part. thanks.

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

On my ‘95 802D, the gfi outlet is right next to the converter, then that feeds the other normal outlet at the other end of the pup. Those are on the 15A circuit breaker. There’s a 20A outlet for the A/C on it’s own circuit and breaker. When you’re plugged in to shore power make sure the circuit breakers aren’t tripped. If you have the same old Magnetek converter as me, just push in on both of the round buttons to reset the breakers. If none of your outlets are gfi, someone has probably replaced it and you’ll want to get a gfi back in there considering pups aren’t exactly the most watertight things in the world. The converter is probably in one of the dinette benches. Here’s the manual for the Magnetek 6400 Series in case that’s what you have.

http://parallaxpower.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/8194/2018/09/6400-Owner-Manual.pdf

If you had a battery, it would be on the tongue. My Duck didn’t have any factory wiring specific for a battery, but does have a black 10G wire to the tongue that you just tap into to hook up a battery.

Mine has the VIN stamped in the tongue, but I have no idea if that’s from the factory or if a previous owner had done it themselves.
    6F7E9303-D68C-4C8D-918E-6823F259B76E.jpeg A475B24E-727D-48BB-A684-B0C8624B7509.jpeg