'84 Palomino Pony restore

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by tstevens, Mar 11, 2012.

1. tstevens

tstevens New Member

Hello everyone! I'm new here and new to owning a PUP, but am excited to fix this one up. I ended up getting this PUP (a '84 Palomino Pony) this past fall, from my brother, after I had a craniotomy for a brain tumor (meningioma). I'm very handy, and am happy that I have a project/goal to work for.

The weather here in upstate NY is looking real good, so today I'm going to get a start on the restore. Mainly measurements and inspecting more closely (and maybe some pics for the 'before'). Unfortunately I cant put it up until I get the springs replaced and new handles (which the handles I may be able to do today if I find compatible ones at Home Depot).
    [MOD] [MOD] [MOD]
    This is a list of what I know, at this point, that I have to do:
    -replace springs
    -lift handles
    -possibly reinforce lift arms
    -patch or replace wood on rt. side of door
    -patch and paint whole camper after cleaning
    -new sink hook-ups
    -repair or get new roof vent (check the wood surrounding it too)
    -new battery
    -make a new table for inside (going to look for counter top material at home depot/lowe's)
    -find out why door is misaligned and repair

Oh, and for the car- we need to get the hitch and install it, lol.

Well, that's what I'm aware of. Hope I keep my ambition, my family loves camping. The kids have camped since they were babies, dd is 4yrs, and ds is 15yrs. I am recruiting my son to help me also. [Guitar] [BBQ] [BY]

2. tstevens

tstevens New Member

Well, I ended up spending about 5 hours working on it yesterday. Didn't get a whole lot done, but have a better idea of what I do need to do. Found out that I also have to replace the front end board to the roof, and replace the bed board on the back end. What I was able to do was replace the two lift handles in the back, caulk some spots, patch others after using the wire brush to clean them up, and cleaned up some of the spots/stains on it.

I'm going to try to put some pics up soon, that I took before I started. [CAM] :huh:

3. tstevens

tstevens New Member

Ok, here it goes....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is one of the tricky jobs to fix, the spring actually works, but the arm is too close and the hole needs to be reinforced (wood inside is in good shape though)
    [​IMG]

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Looks like the big brother to the one we had. Same problems with the arms; we ended up adding some extra metal on the inside when we installed new arms. For some reason, our roof latches were reversed from all the others we've seen (so the front went up first).

One problem spot we had not deciphered was a leak from one of the tail lights. It had run down inside the wall and into the space under the dinette bench - turned out to be the cause of the semi-funky odor we'd noticed ever since we bought it, when it had been closed up.

5. memwalden

memwalden New Member

Hi! I hope your project goes well. We bought a used '86 Palomino and I was wondering if you might have the owners manual to your '84 camper? If so, I would love to have a copy as we can't find a manual for ours. Ours is in pretty good shape: needs two new jacks and the screens replaced, but that's about it. Thanks for any help you can offer! I will be interested in how your work progresses!

6. jrcspalomino

jrcspalomino New Member

I have a 1985 Palomino Colt that I'm in the process of fixing up. I took Kitphantoms advice and totally replaced the lift arms with some metal plates on the inside as well. Rewired the towing lights yesterday and next weekend I will install the new Parallax 6730 converter and rewire everything. I have a long list of things to do and we'll probably be doing similar things at similar times.

I have the manual for the 85 colt I could scan for you if interested. They might actually be posted on this website already.

7. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Flash back to our firt pup, only ours was blue trim and in much better shape. All we had to do was fix some screen material. We out grew ours and gave it to some in-laws (wish now I would have kept her), and then bought new......we took the easy way out [:!] [?:~{]

I wish you the best, I see alot of people fixing up old pups like these and I am amazed at how much they do. I am sure alot of people will chime in, and if you keep the pics coming I know you will get alot of advise.

8. tstevens

tstevens New Member

As far as I know we dont have the manual, I cant really look inside yet, since we cant get it popped up to look inside, lol. If we do, I'll let you know.

jrcspalomino- I wouldnt mind a copy of yours, if you do scan it. :)

As far as the restore goes, we are at a stand still with it. I was talking to Camping World about the replacement springs, and she called me back with a price that I believe would be for the whole lift arm. After I explained more to her, she said she'd look into it more, but then never called me back.

So now we have to decide whether to just order the springs online (where the shipping is almost as much as each part), or just spend the extra (which we dont really have right now) and get the new lift arms.
    UGH! I just want to be able to work on it and be able to pop it up, lol.

I actually did use my dad's power washer, on a low setting, and washed off the areas that are in good enough shape to handle it. Before I did that though, I found that one of the tail light and bulbs fell/blew off the back end... one more thing to add to my list. [:P]

9. jrcspalomino

jrcspalomino New Member

I will have to scan my manual at work on Monday. On this site under the Owner's Manual tab there is a manual for a 1988. It is a little different from mine but it's a starting point until I get mine posted.

As for those springs did you look at canvasreplacements.com? They are $12 a piece there but then you get into the shipping and I don't know how much that is. What I've discovered is that the deal I got on my 27 year old trailer was not so much of a deal after all considering all the work I'm doing to it. But I love projects so I don't mind the cost.

10. JohnB1953

JohnB1953 New Member

I have been working on a 1985 Palomino Shetland this winter. I replaced the arms with the C-R lift arms. They are a nice arm but their instructions really suck and if you follow them you may be dissappointed in the results. But if you study how yours are on and install them the same way just about 2-3 " higher than the lower bolt location they will work great. I also found a washer the same size as the lower mount and driller them the same so I could bolt through the body of the PUP. I have lots of pics I just don't have them on line storage so I don't have them posted here.Just mesage me and I will send you what ever you would care to see about my rebuild. I replaced flooring modified cabinets etc. John

11. tstevens

tstevens New Member

Thanks for all the info!

jrcspalomino- the shipping is better at canvas replacements, but the total weight is lighter- I wonder if they will be as good? I actually have seen the manual for the '88 and printed some of the pages that I could use.

I think I am going to try just replacing the springs (I think we actually only need 3, so it wont be as big of a loss if it doesnt work). My SIL's father makes it sound easy to do, so we'll see.

12. Goldens

Goldens Member

Hey tstevens, I have not posted here in a long time but have been lurking. Search my threads and you find a bunch of info, I have posted as much advice as I can on numerous issues. Your '84 and my '88 are pretty much the same thing.. This is a link to my Flickr photo restorations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/srmtkr/sets/72157617642523105/

and my webshots albums.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572344410hIQtYR

I really should re introduce myself sometime. I still have my camper, good as new to this day. I need to open her up soon and enjoy the fresh air.

13. tstevens

tstevens New Member

So I got the lift arm springs, now I have to figure out how to replace them. I'm going to try to research it on here, but does anyone know the best way to do it, or any tips? [MOD]

holly47 likes this.
  14. fallonn

fallonn New Member

Hello, I have a 1981 Palomino that needs some work (which I have put off for a year). Actually, it need the work when I bought it, but that is a whole other story, I would rather not admit to. :) This month is the month for repairs. The roof side boards are rotted, like so many others...so I have been reading the posts about roof repair. Not sure if I will do this with the roof up, or take the rook entirely off. Any thoughts.

Last year I had two springs break in the lift arms. I noted that I can buy the springs and cable kits from CR. The aluminum arms are in great shape still. So the question is how difficult is it to just replace the springs and cables? Since I may have the roof completely off, the arms will be able to be removed and repaired.

Any tips?

15. kitphantom

We took the roof off completely to do the work. We ended up buying new arms as the aluminum was all torn out from the cables; we'd only had 1 spring that really worked the whole time we had owned that pup. (It was a Shetland, so raising/lowering was doable with 2 people, DH could manage by himself.) We'd bought springs, so I sent them to Goldens, I know he installed them so he might have some tips on that.

16. fallonn

fallonn New Member

Back again...my eyes are blurry from reading all the posts about roof repairs. But I took the plunge and ordered 4 new springs and cables for the aluminum lift arms. Since I am working mostly alone, I am going to fashion a support system for the roof from lumber so I can remove the lift arms without the weight of the roof being on them. (Golden's photos were certainly helpful). I can't think of an easy method to remove the roof and get it into the garage other than getting some friends over to do some lifting. I just trust these springs and cables will be easy to install.

This weekend if the weather holds, I'll lift the roof ..take pictures and measurements, remove the canvas...take more pictures and measurements...drink a cold one or two...and then figure out the roof-off-the-arms-and-into-the-garage process.

Fingers crossed

17. Goldens

Goldens Member

I did make a post quite a while back about replacing the springs, I hope it helps you guys.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=28585.msg157964#msg157964

One thing I left out is to ignore all those god awful sounds the spring makes on the bolt when taking it off (or bolting it back in for that matter) ;)

Glad my photos are helping :)

18. fallonn

fallonn New Member

The weather and my schedule cooperated with each other this weekend and I took the roof off of the 1981 Palomino camper. I had obsessed about this for about a month because it was only my wife and I. (I had already called it a few “chits” from my friends when I build a small green house). What we did worked out so well, I posted some pictures.

I have an old basketball set up next to the drive way, so I screwed two 2x4x16 footers onto the uprights and then propped them up a vertical boards set on the bench seats of the camper.

(How does one insert a picture here?...I tried everything I could think of)

The picture below gives you as idea of the support. As you can see, this allowed be to remove the lift arm supports. (On the strength of Goldens posting about replacing springs and cables, I purchased both for all four arms.)

I lifted the 2x4 off the support that was on the camper bench, and my wife took away the support and we lowered the 2x4 to the pavement.

The interesting thing about this method was the roof didn’t slide down the roof on its own like I expected. Friction held it up on the 2x4s and we had to pull it down to the bottom of the 2x4. From here it was an easy lift into the garage and onto the saw horses.

I plan to put it back on the lift arms by reversing this procedure when I have the roof repaired…and OMG…every stick of wood on the roof is being repaired. One side was totally gone (ants) and even the best side was wet. So the roof is upside down with all new ends and sides cut ready for reassembly over the Memorial Day holiday.

Question: There is an aluminum track that was screwed on the top at the edge of the roof running from front to back. A black vinyl piece was held in place that hid the screw heads. Does anyone know where I can purchase the entire track…or just the black vinyl strip?

Thanks

19. kitphantom

We found the vinyl strip at one of the local RV places.

20. Goldens

Goldens Member

The vinyl insert can be had at any RV place. I got mine down the street and purchased it by the foot.

Here is a link to help with posting photos.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=30812.0

Your roof sounds like it is worse off than mine was, bummer. At least you will have good weather this weekend to work on it :)

The cables you purchased are already made to length? Did you get a new pulley with them, just wondering. If pre-made to length you have to remove the pulley anyway. I made my own cables, a PITA.

This place has the lift arm covers if you need them. Wish I knew about it before I made my custom ones out of aluminum.

http://www.popupparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_5