87 coleman columbia frame rusted through in the rear.

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by dreamer, May 17, 2016.

1. dreamer

dreamer New Member

I have a 87 coleman pop up and its rusted through. Not all of the frame but some areas. The floor inside the camper is sturdy no weak spots. This is the only issues. Other than where a squirrel ate through my screen lol...

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Rusted frame is never good. Depending on the extent of the problem, you might be able to find someone to weld new steel around the rust. That might get you a few more years.

3. dreamer

dreamer New Member

I was told to get anglel tubing and ubolts to reinforce the frame where the rust is located..i can get a couple pics..

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

The frame is an integral part of the camper and if the rusted section bears weight (what part of the frame doesn't?) it's better to be safe than sorry. My advice would be to take it to a fabrication shop and get an estimate to have it welded by a professional. They'll know exactly how to tackle the problem.

5. samh

samh Campin'

Ubolts and angle iron will not be an acceptable solution to a rusted-through frame. Grinding and welding are going to be necessary.

6. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Thanks for your input and help..i dont have alot of money to fix the problem. Was hoping for an easy fix

7. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Welding shop will be cheap. Couple hundred tops. It's not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dreamer

dreamer New Member

I will make some calls and find out thanks for ur help.. however this is like rocket science to me lol. It has alot of bouncing while towing im not sure if the frame being damaged has anything to do with that..again thank u all for ur input

9. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Finally got a few pics of the rust damage..

Attached Files:

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yep, those cross members are rusted to the point where they need to be replaced. There's just no structural integrity there.

11. dreamer

dreamer New Member

What suggestions can you give me.. i had a few people want to charge me 150 to 300 just to look at it.

12. sdn40

sdn40 Member

If it was me, I would start asking around and find someone that knows someone that can do that on the side. I'm no expert but I don't think we are talking rocket science here and it seems like the rusted areas need to be cut out and new sections welded in. A nice side project for someone that has welding experience. Taking it to a shop means you have to pay for their overhead and insurance and rent. Just my .02 cents

13. iflyos

iflyos RC aircraft, playing radio, and camping

Do you have a local community college or a "Career Center" type of high school that has an auto mechanics program? If so, you can often get things like this done for the cost of materials, in exchange for allowing the instructor to use it as a teaching moment.

Several years ago, I had an enclosed trailer I picked up dirt cheap that had some issues similar to what you have. My little mig welder was not stout enough to do the job right. For $125, the local community college cut out and replaced the rusted sections, and even had their paint shop spray it with undercoating when they were done.

Worth looking into...

14. dreamer

dreamer New Member

Oh wow i will call them monday and see if they will look at it