88 Palomino update

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Goldens, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Goldens

Goldens Member

Thanks,

I did pick up the filter at Lowes for 10 bucks after I read on the internet of all the buddy heaters that got clogged up from either junk that could be in the 20lb tanks or the oil that leaches out of the adapter hose itself. People have tried to clean them out after the fact (I quess it's near impossible) and end up throwing the heaters away.

Cheap insurance.

2. wcasey5

wcasey5 New Member

fantastic job! :)

3. Goldens

Goldens Member

Labor day weekend was productive, got 5 more mods [MOD] done. First 2 pic's of the dog step mod that I mentioned before, Tucker approves, folds up for easy storage.

[​IMG]

A piece of wood on the floor between the legs keeps it nice and sturdy and supports my 180lbs just fine too.

[​IMG]

I felt the inside was to cramped for me to move around in so I took 5 1/2" off of the dinette bench where the water tank is. Before pic..

[​IMG]

After pic, also took 3 1/2 off the table too (not set up in this pic), much better.

[​IMG]

The single pedestal table was to wobbly for my taste so i added a support underneath that hooks into the bed slide track. Much better, nice & solid.

[​IMG]

Someone at the transfer station was going to throw away a whole bunch of tent poles, so I grabbed 'em to make an awning with. Got a 8x10 heavy duty black/silver tarp on sale and here's what I came up with.

[​IMG]

I cut up some wood blocks to go between all the lights and awning channel to hold the polls in place. 1/4' rods hold the tarp in the channel.

[​IMG]

Thanks to the kitchen shelf mod thread , I made one up. The only thing I had to buy were the tension rods, had everything else hanging around the shop.

[​IMG]

And last but not least, an extension handle for the pump faucet while boondocking. Now I can stand up straight to use the blasted thing (saving my back) and don't hit my head on the shelves either. [:D]

[​IMG]

All the mods I did above cost me a whopping 22 bucks. I will probably attempt an entire re-do to the interior next year ... Gotta camp!

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Looking Good! Love all your mods. I really like your awning idea. I need a awning for my pup but no money, Do you have more pictures and information on how to make this one.. I have a Heavy duty Brown and silver tarp already. Just need to know how to attach the poles.

Sharon

5. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

My, you did a great job! I am truly impressed. Now I want to paint my PUP. I wish you and Tucker many happy camping trips!

6. Goldens

Goldens Member

Sharon, I closed up the PU 3 days ago for the 3 or 4 inches of rain we were going to get (and got) so I have no other pic's. I did take a couple mock-up pic's to show you. For the vertical poles, I inserted a wooden dowel for a tip for the eyelet of the tarp and the rafter poles to go over (wooden piece held fast with a screw). Once the vertical poles are up and the rafter pole tight to the PU roof, I pulled the tarp tight and made a mark at the end of the rafter pole at the center of the peg (flattened the pole) then drilled a hole for it to go over the peg. Same thing for the horizontal pole at the end once one end is secured to one of the the vertical poles. I used a length of clothesline to hold the tarp fast to the horizontal poles for each side. Sorry if it's a poor explanation, just some backyard engineering on the fly.

[​IMG]

Here is how I keep it tied down to avoid those trip wires. I was actually surprised at how sturdy this thing is for using a bunch of wimpy tent poles.

[​IMG]

I have other poles cut to different lengths to give it a tilt for rain if need be.

7. jthough

jthough New Member

Great job I have an 84 Palomino I’m working on as we speak. My Golden (Cody) Passed away at 15+ (he was as good as a dog could get) 5 years ago and I still miss him.

8. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

Nice crib

9. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

thats a great looking restoration on your pup...I love how it looks set up and in tow.....you better be real proud of yourself cause you did a great job.....love the dog...and the dog steps.....you gotta get out and show your work off.....have fun you deserve it.....

10. Goldens

Goldens Member

I thought this thread would be buried in the cobwebs of the portal forever [;)] Thanks for the comments! I recently got some new lift springs thanks to another member (kitphantom) and look forward to getting them installed.

jthough, Sorry you lost your friend, [:(] lost mine 10 yrs ago and will always miss her. Tucker is looking to be 13 in June, he has gotten some bad arthritis in his elbows and doesn't get around as well as he use to, but keeps on going. :)

11. Sharpie

Sharpie Member

Trailer looks really great. It is amasing what 1 can do with a little paint.

12. bobjones1

bobjones1 New Member

where'd u get the axle from? was it exact fit?

13. Goldens

Goldens Member

The original axle was an Alko and the replacement was a exact fit, no problems. There should be a aluminum tag riveted to your axle with some numbers on it if you want the same one. I went with a 2,000lb replacement rather than the original 1,500lb one. I got it from these guys, it made a HUGE difference!

http://axleinc.com/

14. mistie_37

mistie_37 New Member

this is in response about the Mr. Heater and the hose for a 20# tank. According to my manual (I have the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy MH9BX) you can use a "green F273704 Buddy series hose. Fuel filter not required." I just bought one from Northern Tool on eBay for $30 (+$6 S& H) haven't received it yet tho. I don't know what the difference is being "green" where you don't need a fuel filter, but hopefully it will work.

15. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

How did your JB weld hold up on your lift arm covers. I put your mods in our favorites, we have 83 Palomino we are fixing up slowly.. Thanks for the info

16. Goldens

Goldens Member

The JB weld has held up perfectly, no problems. :) Good luck with your '83 ,have fun with it.

17. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

Man, your camper is looking good, How did you cut out the roof corner boards without nicking the metal sides and corners? Also when you painted front to back did you remove any caulking?

18. Redbanks

Redbanks New Member

Hello,

Nice trailer!!! Hey tell me about the 1" lift. How exactly did you accomplish that. Did you just add a 1" spacer in between the frame and the axle bracket? Or was the 1" added in the axle? Thanks.

Cheers!!!!! [PU]

19. Goldens

Goldens Member

Thank you :) It is between the frame and axle bracket. It has been a long time but as I remember you can order the Alko axles with different starting degree angles for added lift, I kept with the same 10° on mine.

20. magic64

magic64 New Member

Atlas Spring & Axle CoAtlas Spring & Axle Co
    4500 West Irving Street
    Wichita, KS 67209-2693
    (316) 943-2386

They tore out the orginal axle and put a spring axle on mine with larger tires.
    Now I can drive highway speeds with no issues and can also get my tires
    aligned if needed.

Rick