93 palomino yearling partial rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by justincdst, Nov 22, 2016.

1. justincdst

justincdst Member

After reading every thread on here over the last few months, it's time to contribute. My 93 Palomin Yearling NTU has a soft spot front and back walls so started to dig in over the weekend. Turns out there is a bit more to it. I've pretty much destroyed the interior paneling but not sure what to replace with. Any ideas? I don't want to rip up the floor but that might have to happen... Stay tuned!

I'm also trying to post pictures but turns out my cell phones pictures are too big?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Sorry I can't help you with your original question but your photo one I can help you with. You will need to get a free app for your cell called photo resizer. You open the app up find the photo you want, resize it and save it again. Then you should be able to attach it to this site.

3. justincdst

justincdst Member

Easy enough, resized the pictures. Of only the popup repairs were that simple. For interior I was thinking of clear coaing the thinest OSB I could find with a dark slate gray linoleum floor. Would that toss my tongue weight completely off?

Attached Files:

4. justincdst

justincdst Member

Removed my canvas so I can lot see what I'm doing and easily clean out everything in the trailer for winter. Is there a secret truck folding up the canvas for storage so nothing cracks? It is surprisingly heavy and cumbersome to manipulate.

Attached Files:

5. justincdst

justincdst Member

So coupled with a newborn a back injury and the weather up here on Vancouver Island I have not made much progress until today. I finally have the entire trailer gutted with the exception of pulling the gas lines through the floor and I hit a snag. The floor is with out a doubt in need of replacing. Im not sure how the trailer survived camping last summer since most of it is not attached to the frame from rot. Now my snag is, before I pull the walls off, I need to remove the roof, I have nowhere to store it where it will remain flat. Has anyone had any success storing a roof on its side with out causing it to buckle or warp?

6. billy_bob169

billy_bob169 New Member

When we tore our '93 apart to replace it from the floor up, I built stands out of 2x4's to hold the roof. They also worked well when it came time to tear into the roof and repair rotted panels.

Attached Files:

7. justincdst

justincdst Member

Billy_bob, Did you not post the entire build for your trailer, I followed one pretty closely that looks a lot like it. Due to room constraints in my one car garage I decided to throw the PuP into the driveway with a tarp over the front and hope for the best come spring. Im doing a full rebuild anyway! I completed gutted it and my shed and crawl space under the house are stuffed with parts. What did you cover your interior with?

8. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

After reading your thread, I have seen a couple of times where you ask what did you use for the inside of your pup. Well, at this point you can make the decision to use what YOU would like! :) That is the best part of a frame up rebuild!!! I went with a standard home wall paneling and a vinyl home flooring (sheet)

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=89772.60

about 3/4 the way down the page you will see what my walls and floor look like after walls were rebuilt and installed on the frame.

Take your time, find the design and patterns you are happy with (it will be there for a while)
    If I miss understood your question of what you used for the inside please explain a bit more and will post more thoughts on the matter...

9. justincdst

justincdst Member

Thanks yeah it wasn't so much a what design did you use that I was looking for. More a what material? Since I'm tearing out the interior paneling I was wondering whether or not to use a thin construction panel or something like a finished osb. Only concern really is tow weight in the end with a beefier material. I like your thread by the way, very informative especially being the same model from the looks of it.

10. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

well you are not alone when it comes (came) to worrying about weight..... I kept my wall construction the same thickness as factory as much as I hated to lol. as for the thickness of wall boards (paneling) again I would say you can use what you would like for a interior wall coating. If you are looking for just a wood design, you could go with a 1/4 inch birch paneling and seal it the way you want with either paint, stain and a clear coat...or you can find a box store and pick up some (trailer house) wall board in many designs and colors....they are about the same thickness and what came in your pup from factory....so your weight worries wont be an issue

11. billy_bob169

billy_bob169 New Member

I did post a complete rebuild thread, but somewhere along the way a lot of my pictures are now mis-linked :/ For the interior, we chose to use vinyl click lock plank flooring and a bamboo style wall panel. I ripped the sheets to the height we needed in a table saw, then filled all the wall voids with foam and glued the new paneling on. Once the glue dried, I used a flush cut router bit to trim the panels to the exact size needed

http://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/vinyl-flooring/vinyl-planks/ez-click-trade-premier-vinyl-plank-6-x-36-18-26-sq-ft-pkg/p-1444426346275.htm

Attached Files:

12. justincdst

justincdst Member

Were you able to tuck the interior siding up underneath the aluminum side rails like the original siding is or was thickness a problem?

13. billy_bob169

billy_bob169 New Member

thickness was not a problem at all. Was an exact fit

14. billy_bob169

billy_bob169 New Member

A side note...I created a lid for that ice chest cavity and created extra storage in our palomino. Then added a small mini fridge near the galley. Much better use of space!

Attached Files:

15. justincdst

justincdst Member

Are unit has a fairly decent 3 way fridge, but the ice chest has a crack in it so out it goes. The cavity will be converted into extra storage also. Was thinking about extending it to the bench and having a larger seating area for the rainy days. Thanks for the input.

16. justincdst

justincdst Member

I got the pup back into the shop this weekend and am now looking at building a lift system to store the roof suspended above my garage door.... long of it, finally getting cracking for early summer camping! So a buddy asked if I was going to do any axle work since Im going to be reinforcing the frame, and I thought why not? How complex would it be to drop a bigger axle with suspension or e-brakes. Don't want to much, but it rattles to all hell on the logging roads as it is now, anything I can do about that while Im stripped to the frame?

17. justincdst

justincdst Member

Got the roof off and secured. Can't open the door so well at the moment but cross that bridge when I get to it!

Attached Files:

18. justincdst

justincdst Member

Walls gone

Attached Files:

19. justincdst

justincdst Member

And while I'm at. Floors gone. Did discover one of the angle irons towards the front it badly bent and twisted up. Any idea how or why that would be like that? Besides that frame is in pretty ok shape. Will reinforce a little slap some paint on it and call it a day. Still looking for an axle swap possible...

Attached Files:

20. justincdst

justincdst Member

Finally gave a hard push last few nights. I straightened that front part of the frame using ratchet straps and painted it up. Forgot to take pictures...
    I went with 3/4" T&G for the floor and coated the underside with basically deck stain (had a can sitting around). I measured out the cross members on the frame for to fit where the joints in the PW are so plenty solid. Had a SOB of a time with self tap screws, broke more then I put in so I ended up counter sinking 6 large bolts into the frame so it's not going anywhere. The fenders were pretty scrapped but I managed to tap them back together pretty good and patched the holes nicely.

Attached Files: