93 Rockwood lift system bearings

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by rairegg, Sep 20, 2019.

1. rairegg

rairegg New Member

We have a 93 Rockwood 1270SS with the Rockwood chain and spring lift system. We need to replace the clutch shaft and bearings. We have the parts but can't figure out how to remove and replace the bearings from the sides of the assembly. We have tried driving them out from both sides with no luck. Do we cut the welds that hold the sides together? We have the service manual but it doesn't address this problem. We're pretty handy but this has us stumped.
    We need any help we can get.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Got any photos of the problem?

3. rairegg

rairegg New Member

20190924_125200.jpg 20190924_125200.jpg 20190924_125014.jpg 20190924_125157.jpg 20190924_124926.jpg There's a bearing on each side of this assembly, the one you can't see is totally shot. How can we get to them to R&R? We have the parts.

Attached Files:

4. rairegg

rairegg New Member

There's an inch long weld bead on top of each side that I could probably grind off if I could get the assembly out.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Got a picture from the side of the bad gear shaft? Is there a threaded area for a nut that holds the shaft stable between the two bearings? The bearing looks to be a typical flange bearing that is pressed in or at least tight fit. Use penetrating oil, PB Blaster or similar, to start with on bearing. If still no movement, heat area and bearing with a propane torch. Then hit the bearing with a medical freeze spray, then PB Blaster. The bearing should drive out after that. Crossed fingers.

6. rairegg

rairegg New Member

The bearings are not tight fit they act like they have a groove in them as you can wiggle them. I can probably cut the old bearings out but need to be able to press the new ones in and can't figure out how to remove the assembly either. There's no nut between the bearings, just the ratchet gear.

7. rairegg

rairegg New Member

According to the drawings the replacement bearings are press fit, not the same as the originals.

8. WrkrBee

The bearings probably do have a groove worn into them by the frame. Outer bearing flange housing material was displaced and rolled up higher than the groove. You can tell they used quality parts by the stamped and stacked gears, NOT. It's one of those bigger hammer deals. Most of the time with a bigger hammer, you do not have enough room to swing it. Another option is to work a Porta Power jack in there to force the bearings out.

9. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Can you improvise a bolt some sort of metal in the shape of a [ and a nut to make your own bearing puller? Then do it in reverse to press in the new ones.

10. rairegg

rairegg New Member

I have less than 2 inches clearance between the assembly and the plywood bulkhead on the front wall, so don't want to use a torch here. The bearings have a thin flange that is inside the housing side plates on the assembly, I believe the bearings were installed before the sides were welded together. If someone could tell me how to take the chain/spring/tube assembly apart, then I think I can handle the rest. Thanks for trying, I'm still looking for ideas.

11. WrkrBee

If your talking about the assembly in the last picture, take the chain off the sprocket. There's a split pin there that holds the sprocket on the shaft. Drive the split pin out and it looks like the gear shaft should come out of the chain sprocket then.

12. rairegg

rairegg New Member

I've already removed the gear/clutch shaft ant the chain and sprocket. But I can't figure out how to remove the whole assembly so the bearings can be replaced.

13. pandorasbox65

pandorasbox65 New Member

I just bought one of the same pop up campers, same year too. My Issue is that when cranked up, there is no clicking and if you let go of the crank, it just comes right down. Can you tell me where you got your parts? Also, can you direct me to a schematic of the system so I know how to get into it? I appreciate any info I can get, as I have no manual and can't find anything online. Thanks so much!!