95 Dutchmen 1203 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by mboehler, Mar 11, 2014.

1. superbee73

superbee73 New Member

Awesome job and inspirational. I have to tackle a little fix up work this year as well. This helps. Thanks.

2. Popupbenji

Popupbenji Member

Now this is how you do it take it down to the ground and rebuild it I admire your determination and patience to do this

A family that camps together are happy campers

3. mboehler

mboehler Member

We're tackling the walls now. We should have some pictures up in the next few days. :)

4. pckeen

pckeen New Member

Great work - love those floors. That should last longer than the original.

5. mboehler

mboehler Member

Sorry we haven't been more active on here. But we have been active on the rebuild! Here are some more pics to update you guys:

This is my setup for ripping boards and then cutting them to length. Making use of the old trailer roof as a platform for the mitre saw.
    [​IMG]

For the corners of the side walls, I decided to use solid pieces of 2x8 cut to the right shapes instead of the smaller, weaker pieces like the original walls had.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are using this paneling for the inside walls.
    [​IMG]

Some shots of the walls up. The outside will be done later, after I run the wiring, etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used a lot of these screws.
    [​IMG]

My work area is made out of the boards that will become cabinet framing, roof framing, etc.
    [​IMG]

The lift system is also back together. I had taken it completely apart, removed the push springs from the tubes, and thoroughly cleaned everything. It was a bit of a pain to put back together. I installed a new cable and new front pulleys. I greased all the springs and the master tube. It was tricky getting the springs all the way back into the tubes. They did NOT want to go around the last 90° corner before going up into the walls. With some coaxing and patience, they finally did however. I also sprayed silicon lubricant on the corner posts.

I cranked it up and it went as smooth as you please. Going down was a different matter, however. Since there is no weight on the posts, they did not want to go down! Gravity is supposed to make them go down once you start cranking in that direction. I had to have some help pushing them back down to get them back down into the walls.

6. mboehler

mboehler Member

We're now working on rebuilding the benches and cabinets inside. Some of the original framing is being re-used. Some is being re-designed to better suit our needs. The Dutchmen originally had the U-shaped seating area to the right of the door with a table that dropped down in to make a bed AND another dinette just to the left of the door with bench seats. We don't need two eating areas, so the dinette on the left is being removed. We'll re-use some of the framing and the cushions to make a bench area in front of the queen size bed. The cushions will be recovered though!

Here are some pics of the progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we are copying/re-designing the cabinet that will house the refrigerator. We're also re-desiging the sink cabinet that's supposed to swing over on top of this cabinet. I don't have pics of that yet.
    [​IMG]

7. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

WOW looking awesome! Do not fret with the lift going down, mine did the same thing with no weight. Once you add the weight of the roof it should go down very easy!

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Looks amazing!!!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Looking great!!!!

10. mboehler

mboehler Member

Well, it's been a busy week and weekend with the trailer rebuild. Here is the latest. I hope you enjoy the pictures!

First, a few shots of the wiring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We added one of those outlets that has the USB ports here. We were going to install these in several places, but that was cost prohibitive, so we just put in the one.
    [​IMG]

After the wiring, we put in some insulation. It's styrofoam board with reflective coating on one side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we started attaching the wood on the outside. We're using 1/4" Oak plywood. It will be fiberglassed and coated with epoxy resin for that "woody" look. I really hope it turns out okay!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While waiting for the glue to dry, we put some thin indoor/outdoor carpeting on the benches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More sides done. It's actually starting to look solid now!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. driftin by

driftin by New Member

Great idea on the indoor/outdoor carpeting on the bench covers. We were just thinking about what to cover ours with so that the OSB doesn't fray our newly upholstered cushions. This is a very cost effective alternative plus provides utility and looks great when the cushions are removed. How did you attache it? Glue, staples or both?

12. mboehler

mboehler Member

We found the carpeting at Lowe's for $17. I don't think it would stand up well to outdoor use, but it should work great for this application. We're going to use it on the bunkends as well.

We used a spray adhesive to attach it. After cutting the carpeting to the correct sizes, w sprayed the adhesive over the entire bench and placed the pre-cut pieces over it. Once it dried (cured?) we cut slits along the edges of the doors so that we could open them up. Works great!

13. piscoot

piscoot Member

This has been an pretty exciting rebuild!! Can't wait for the end result!

Sent from Piscoot's iPad using Tapatalk

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I think the woody look for the outside will be awesome. Did you decide against getting the FRP from Lowes/HD because of looks, or what? Inquiring minds want to know... lol!

15. RMRayl

RMRayl New Member

can't wait to see this one done, gonna have to find you some white walls and dog dish hubcaps to finish the look

16. driftin by

driftin by New Member

Thanks for the install tip. Again great idea and amazing work you're doing.

17. mboehler

mboehler Member

Haha, that would be awesome!

18. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

I see you used a pricier plywood on the exterior. Are you planning on putting the old panels on top of that?

19. mboehler

mboehler Member

No, I'm putting fiberglass cloth and epoxy over the exterior. The fiberglass & epoxy will end up being clear, so it will just look like wood, but will have the protection of fiberglass. Do a google search for "woody camper" for some pics of teardrops and other campers. I don't see any popups though. :)

20. PhillyTitan

PhillyTitan New Member

That's why I asked. The woody look is a great idea for a camper and oak would make the perfect siding. Can't wait to see the results. [:D]