96 rockwood signature series lift problems

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by mirandab1, May 29, 2010.

1. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

ok just bought a 96 rockwood pup and when i go to lift the roof up it goes up about 2 inches and makes a loud popping noise and drops or slips back down, the previous owner had a problem keeping the roof lifted and had to scotch it does any one know what my problem may be Thanks

2. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    I can't diagnose it exactly, but I am very familiar with that lift system, and it is quite different from the average cable operated popup lift system.

The popping noise could be several things. First, it could be the chain slipping on the sprocket. It could also be one or more of the springs binding up. Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to even begin to diagnose it is visually. You will need to manually lift (and support) the roof and then remove any necessary cabinetry to access the lift system and see what is wrong. Keep us updated on what you find and I'm sure we can figure it out.

3. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

how would you manual lift it though i can get up into the compartment in the front were you crank it up at but everything looks good up there

4. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

You'll have to find some way to manually hoist it up. You could try getting 3 other people. Cut some 2x 4's to act as supports. Push the roof up with the 2 x 4's and then use them to hold up the roof. Make sure you attach them to the lifter poles so they don't slip out!

5. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

does anyone else maybe know whats wrong when we went to look at it they owner pop it up for us on unlevel ground and went they got about to the top it sounded like something started slipping and will not go up now

6. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

i think its a l&w lift it has one metal conduit running down the left side of the camper to the back

7. crusher

crusher New Member

I have a similar problem with my 94 Rockwood 1280 xl look at the clutch assembly; on mine the bearings are gone.This is the shaft that your jack handle connects to I will have to replace the clutch assy and ratchet gear and pawl you can get to it without raising the roof found the parts @canvas replacements who is also a member on here looks like it will cost less than 100.00

8. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

so your saying that my problem is the bearing

9. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

The loud popping sound concerns me. To me, that indicates a slipping chain. The quesion is why. My money is on one or more lifter springs binding up, but you can't verify that without some investigation.

If it is the clutch assembly, it would likely just be stuck, period. No lifting 2 inches then binding. No popping sound. It could be the bearings allowing the shaft to move enough that the drive sprocket isn't engaging the chain completely. That would be fairly easy to daignose. First, your crank handle would wobble like a broomstick in a butter churn, and you could easily verify it from the inside visually. Remove the cover, and you can see the assembly:

[​IMG]

I'm sorry to say it again, but the only real way to know is to get the roof up and have a look. Trust me, I know this system at least as well as anyone here.

10. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

ok so i took it to a rv dealer and he said something about shearing a pin does anyone know what causes that?

11. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Forgive my skepticism, but I have seen many stories on here where RV repair shops are completely unfamiliar with this system, but won't admit it.

Here's the schematic of your system:

[​IMG]

If it's not large enough to read, click on the little camera icon under my avatar and you will be take to my Webshots page. Under "Rockwood Manual" you will find that picture. You can click on it and make it full screen.

I'm not familiar with a shear pin being part of this system, but it's not inconceivable. There is something called a "sprocket roll pin" (#17) that could be a shear pin. There's also a drive rod bolt that could shear (but I doubt that's your problem)

A shear pin is a safety feature. It prevents expensive damage. The idea is that when a certain force is exceeded, the pin will shear. In this case, if something was impeding the roof from lifting, but enough force was still being applied to the crank, then the pin would shear to remove the mechanical link between the crank and the lifters.

Here's the problem I have with that diagnosis: Your system has a sprocket roll pin on both the front and rear lift assemblies. If only one broke, then you would see one end of the roof trying to lift. Of course, if you continued to crank, the pressure could snap the other pin.

I wish I lived close to you. I'm sure I could figure it out if I could see it. Good luck.

12. crusher

crusher New Member

I just repaire dmy 94 Rockwood 1280xl the bearings on clutch assembly were completely destroyed and when you tried to crank it up it would pop loudly and slip becaus the gear would not fully engage.The jack handle wobbled like a broomstick in a butter churn I ordered my parts fron Canvas Replacements on Tuesday and recieved them Friday.The clutch assy ratchet gear ratchet pawl and two press bearings were just over100.00 with shipping and handling I am very pleased with them

13. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

did it fix your camper??

14. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

If your problem is worn bearings, that will fix it. Does your crank handle wobble severely?

I replaced everything but the bearings on my unit because the clutch assembly had siezed up.

15. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

took it to a rv dealer he said both bearing was out of it will this also cause the roof not to stay up

16. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

i have a 1994 rockwood xl 1280 and had the same problem.It was my bearings for the crank.Just grabb the square part the crank handle goes on and see if it moves side to side or up and down,if it does it is your bearings.you need to check the backside bearing,if that goes ot it will allow the sprocket at the end of the shaft (that cranks up the roof)move and jump on the other sprockrt causing a pop noise and making the roof fall down a bit.if it is your bearing they are easy to replace and chep.like 7.00 each

17. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Absolutely. As nick9882 said, that will also account for the popping noise (as the gears slip)

Don't let them overcharge you for this. The bearings are dirt cheap and if it takes them more than about 3 hours labor, they are being completeyly lazy.

18. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

how hard would this be to do im just afraid i will mess it up more than it is

19. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

It is real easy.I just used a punch on the edges to get the old bearings out.Start on one side of the bearing and get it as far out as you can using the punch,the go to the other side and give it a couple good hits and it should pop out.I think that is the trick to getting them out.I tried using a socket to drive them out and a bearing puller with no luck.It seems they dont like to come out straight thats why you have to get one side started first.Putting them in was easy also,the first one(one closest to the crank handle)installed from the inside out and i just used a socket with a extention and hit it with a mallet and it popped right in,the second one had to install from the outside in so what i did dropped it in where the ratchet pawl is and used a screwdriver to get it up by the hole andgot my finger back there and pressed it in the hole with my finger so it would sit there.I used a punch to install the second one,there is no way to get a socket in there with the other bearing installed,you have to stick the punch through the hole in the outside bearing and tap around the edges and it will pop in.It took about 5 min to do.

20. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

were do you buy these bearings at