96 rockwood signature series lift problems

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by mirandab1, May 29, 2010.

1. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

you can buy them here http://www.canvasreplacements.com/index.php/cPath/20_230 Press bearing.$11.00 Each.I would suggest you take them out first and if you have a Ace hardware nearby go there,they sell them.Just size it up.They are only like $4.00 at Ace.I bought mine from canvas replacements and then a week later saw them at Ace.It was like $25.00 shipped for the 2 bearings.

2. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

do you have any pics of yours im just afraid i will mess somethign up im ready to go camping and the rv dealer has had it for almost 2 weeks trying to figure the problem and then he said it will take about a week to get the bearings

3. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    they are in this picture:

[​IMG]

They are the 2 silver rings next to the sprockets.

4. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

will these 2 bearing also cause it not to be able to stay up on its own? cause the previous owner had to scotch the roof when it was popped up

5. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

if it has been operated with bad bearing for a while it could cause the roof not to stay up.Your best bet is to just pull it apart.Once you do it you will see it is not that complicated.When you pull the shaft out you will be able to move the pawl and see if it is worn(that is the piece in the pic Xolthrax posted on top)It rides sets on the top of the sprocket that is between the 2 bearing.that is what holds up your roof.if either the pawl or the sprocket is worn the roof will not stay up.When cranking it up you sould hear a clicking.

6. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

ok so your saying i have to pull that whole asembly out to change the bearing ? that xolthrax posted?
    thanks again for all the help

7. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

If it has damaged the clutch it will. My guess is that when you are cranking your roof up (or at least trying to), it's not making a clicking sound. That would be a sympton of your clutch being siezed against the bearings. In that situation, when the previous owner tried to crank it down, he either damaged the pawl, or pushed it down so that it no longer engages the ratchet. That is not all that uncommon for this lift system.

In that case, you probably want to replace the whole clutch assembly along with the bearings. The picture above is the whole assembly. It runs right around $100 from Canvas Replacements.

You need to pull the whole thing apart to replace the bearings anyway. Why risk putting damaged parts back in just to have the problem happen again?

8. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

i under stand what your saying but how do i get the whole assembly out?

9. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

Make sure the roof is supported.Remove the clip from the end of the clutch shaft.Unscrew the square part that the crank handle goes on.There will be another clip behind that,you may have to clean up the grease to be able to see it.Take that clip off.Then you have to get to the system from inside.\,Under the seat of the dinettte where the converter isyou will see what looks like a step against the front wall,there is about 4 screws holding that on.Romve that and you will see the lift system.You will be able to push the clutch rod through.When you push it through the sprockrt for the pawl will drop,I just left it there until reassy.Once you have the cover inside removed you will be able to see the backside bearing to inspect it.In my case the bearing completly failed and ball bearing were all over the floor,so if you see that when you open that up you know the bearing is shot.

10. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

well there were ball bearing in the floor. so i have to get the roof up in order to get the assembly out right?

11. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Yes, and make sure you support it with something because you'll need to work from the inside of the camper as well.

12. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

well i can get inside the camper without popping it up i can get inside the cabinet were you crank it up at would i still need to get it up for any other reason?

13. nick9882

nick9882 New Member

as long as you have enough room to get in there and move around to get to the lift system from the inside that would work.

14. crusher

crusher New Member

Canvas Replacements carries the bearings and clutch assy.I replaced the clutch assy both bearings the ratchet gear and ratchet pawl for 91.00 plus shipping and handling total of 105dollars and change.Ididnt have to replace the clutch assy but went ahead and replaced it while everything was apart all I really needed to replace was the bearings and ratchet pawl and it works great!!!!Try Canvas Replacements they were great to do business with.

15. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

ok thanks will do what is this for? http://www.canvasreplacements.com/product_info.php/cPath/20_230/products_id/5049 do i need to replace that

16. crusher

crusher New Member

no thats the idler sprocket assy its at the other side of the camper uder the other dinette seat you should not have to replace it but inspect it clean and lube it.

17. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

I'll second that Canvas Replacements is a top notch firm to deal with. The owner was a member here. Way back when I needed to fix my system (before I knew how it worked), I couldn't find anyone who could help me. He read my posts and had one of his technicians diagnose the problem. He contacted me and gave me his phone #. We spoke on the phone and he helped me figure out what was wrong, what I needed to do, and got me the parts (when Forest River wouldn't!)

18. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

well just ordered the parts to fix the camper now i just hope its easy to fix.

19. mirandab1

mirandab1 New Member

well i was looking and my clutch has only 1 sprocket and the one from http://www.canvasreplacements.com/product_info.php/cPath/20_230/products_id/311 has 2 is that a good thing

20. crusher

crusher New Member

The double sprocket should be a little stronger and the gears should mesh together better.