'96 Starcraft Starlounge roof rebuild

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by pijije, Apr 2, 2011.

1. pijije

pijije New Member

Well I am more of a lurker than a poster, learning from everyone and getting ideas. Turkey season was coming up and that meant I needed to get the camper ready. When i bought the PUP last year I didn't think to check under the interior AC control panel for soft wood. My mistake. The AC frame was rotted in more than one place and water had made it's way between the luan and foam core ceiling, so would drip out of light fixtures and run down the side boards on the inside of the camper. I was not happy. So with a little less than three weeks before turkey season I figgered I could get the roof repaired/rebuilt.

Taking it off was interesting since it was just me and my dad. We started the project off with breaking his nose....OOOOOWWWWWWWWW.....camper lid shifted and I couldn't hold my end right and he tried stopping it with his face. But we eventually got it off

I began the process of taking the guts out of the roof and unscrewing all the trim (and while cleaning all the trim up I tried to filet my hand with a chisel), only to find a massive nest of ants and water come pouring out of various screw holes. After looking at everything we decided the quickest and easiest thing will be to just rebuild the roof. The vinyl/plastic skin...not really sure what it is but definitely not aluminum was torn in two corners where the drip pan for the AC drains....hmmmmmm perhaps that's where the water comes from? The AC dripped into the camper pretty bad.

[​IMG]

As I was taking everything apart I decided I wanted more lighting so started my quest for lighting. I got the led strobe light system from VisionX...waaay cheaper to buy that whole set up than to buy indiviual lights. And the lighting is VERY nice

So the rebuild process begins...I used 1/2" marine grade fir plywood for the sideboards and had to scarf two pieces together to get the right length for the sideboards. We used the same curve of the old camper. The interior ceiling and exterior roof are 1/4" marine grade fir plywood. All wood was fiberglass resined prior to cutting and putting together to add extra waterproofing. Then on the inside we also added some stringers for support...3/4" x 1 1/2" pine strips...the top was completed in one day....thank god my dad was there or it would've taken me three times as long and it wouldn't be ready for turkey season...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I fiberglass taped the seams in the roof to completely seal the top. then painted it with several coats of boat decking paint.

[​IMG]

The question then became how to attach it to the camper? So we made giant sawhorses to put the top on and so that we can work on the guts without being cramped up inside a very small space.

[​IMG]

then came the putting in insulation and lighting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we worked one ceiling panel at a time

[​IMG]

then once they were all in, I backed the camper in and put the top on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the top was made on a saturday and the lighting and everything put in on Sunday (weekend prior to turkey season) so the top could be put on on Sunday. Then the week was spent putting up trim, the canvas, wiring all the lights together. So that the top could be ready to go. Thursday night prior to the season my dad and I were up til 11 putting the finishing touches on the camper so that i could pack it up that night and leave friday afternoon from work. Truly it could not have been done in time without my dad.

[​IMG]

Dani

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Looks great, nice job.

3. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

That is a thing of beauty! You guys could make a living just making roofs for people.

Very nice work!

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Awesome job. Congrats

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Great job! And I know anyone with a simular problem and wanting to know how it's done, you'll have a wealth of know how advice as to just how it's done.

Any idea on what the new roof might weigh(?)

6. pijije

pijije New Member

Thanks y'all

I will say that it weighs less than 200 lbs....somewhere between 170 and 200

and a heckuva lot lighter than the old one that came off gushing water out trim holes....

Dani

7. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

Awesome job! By the looks of it (the kayak in the background [KK] ), this is not your first project! Nice shop too!

8. pijije

pijije New Member

Nope definitely not my first project....although the kayaks in the background are my dad's handywork....gorgeous CLC boats...

9. marcort

marcort New Member

Woah... I'm totally out of my league here.. LOL! Nice work.

10. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

very nice!

i see the reward was a nice tom hanging there too! double congrats!!

11. pijije

pijije New Member

Thanks...and yup I had a great reward in being able to call in my turkeys. What a hunt that was...two toms in a weekend...

12. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

awesome!

this was a tough year for us. got one on opening day (about 5yr bird, 1.25" spurs, 9.5"main beard with 2.5" second) scale was off but i think it was around 26# HUGE ol guy, he wouldnt fit in oven! had to pc him out. we had lots of rain and birds all the sudden started to change thier typical patterns and got real weary real fast. here in TN its shotty or acrchery only, no sniping lol. i would have tagged the season in four days otherwise. lol. its ok though. fall and winter are coming up quick!

pup looks great! kinda makes me want to make a pup with all wood like a canoe and leave it natural.

13. e40

e40 New Member

Ha, I like how you used old sectional charts. :)

14. pijije

pijije New Member

Yup it was rough for me too. A nine day hunt at the beginning of the season, the first 6 days or so spent trying to figure out birds that refused to gobble, get set up, only to have other folk come set up on me, walk two and a half miles through the swamp and woods to get where i wanted to go, only to have folk who have access to the hunt club roads drive almost right up to where I wanted to hunt...yup it was a fun filled hunt. Especially when finally I found some birds that wanted to work.

This was the first year that in FL it's illegal to hunt on public land with anything other than shotguns and bows. I like that a lot.

And my dad is a pilot so he goes through those charts really quick, as does the flight school he helps out...so he gets those for free, which is nice since then he doesn't get his garage floor totally messed up hahahaha

Dani

15. futurefd

futurefd New Member

i am in the same situation have to do a whole rebuild. have been doing a LOT of reading. Love what you have done, few questions, where do you get marine grade wood, and paint. and about how much did this all run you? I was going to use regular wood seal the seems with fiberglass then use the marine paint, is that cutting too many corners"? thanks for the help!

16. pijije

pijije New Member

I am not sure where you are located, but I got my marine grade from a lumber yard here in Jacksonville. 1/4" was $30 or so each and 1/2" was $50 or so. if you aren't going to totally cover the roof with fiberglass then I would use marine grade. It's made for boats so will work for the camper top if you will seal it to ensure extra waterproofing and then paint....