99 Coleman Bayside water Heater

bcrosby51

Jul 22, 2021
New to me camper, the water heater was disconnected. I just reconnected it all up and flushed it out. Had a lot of rust colored water and I pulled the plug out at the bottom and there was no anode rod on it. Not sure if it just disintegrated or if this one didnt need that. Looks like a suburban model heater. How can I tell if the inside tank is still good?

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Fill it with water and see if it leaks out. Seriously that is the easiest way. If you see a leak, pull the anode/plug to drain it quick. The previous owner of my 98 Bayside left it filled with water and then froze and cracked the tank. I couldn't tell until I filled it with water and had water going everywhere.

bcrosby51

Jul 22, 2021
I have filled it up, and got it lit and got hot water. Just wasnt sure if my tank is bad on the inside, or if i need a new plug with the anode rod on it.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
New to me camper, the water heater was disconnected. I just reconnected it all up and flushed it out. Had a lot of rust colored water and I pulled the plug out at the bottom and there was no anode rod on it. Not sure if it just disintegrated or if this one didnt need that. Looks like a suburban model heater. How can I tell if the inside tank is still good?
Pressurize the hot water side with compressed air and do a leak down check. It's a lot less damaging that the water check.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
If you have fresh water in the tank, a pump that wouldn't automatically turn off would be a good indicator of a leak.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Yup, you need a new aniod rod. After you flush it a bit, clean out the water reducers from debris. Im sure some got in the lines.

Toxictom

Aug 18, 2016
Also check the pressure relief valve. My water heater blew a hole in the aluminum tank. I believe that was because my pressure relief didn't open when it should have. If you are seeing rust when you flushed it the pressure relief valve is likely going to be sticky or inoperable.

Fix it first

Jun 3, 2019
Indianapolis
All good advice, and of course if it is leaking you can bypass the heater too. Congrats on the bayside aka “sway-side”! We’ve had ours for several years now and see them frequently. Our friends with tents or even PUPS are always amazed with the amount of space and amenities we have. I did a major rebuild of the lift system after a mishap and have reconditioned the water system. Let me know if you run into any trouble and happy camping!

F. Jake Glotz

Sep 1, 2021
Boise Idaho
Having hot water is such a nice part of having a pop up. Hopefully the anode rod did it’s job in protecting the inside of the water heater. I have the bypass valves on my water heater to easily isolate it when I winterize. That way it is empty and not full of rv antifreeze. If you had the bypass kit, you could always adapt if it leaked. Do a nice functional test, heating and using city water and look for leaks.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Most of the older pop ups dont have a bypass valve ( unless someone else put it on). They have a tube to conect the hot and cold lines together manualy for winterizing.