99 Palomino Filly, aka Peanut Butter Cup

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by 95YJRio, May 11, 2019.

1. 95YJRio

95YJRio New Member

Good afternoon from sunny SC.

I purchased this 99 Palomino Filly last month for $1,000.
    Day 1.jpg
    I will install a frame mounted receiver to level it out when towing. This was just to get it home, 20 minuets away.

It's not in the best of shape and will need a lot of work done to it. This will be a slow build since I am going through a divorce at the moment. However, my kids are stoked. I have been camping since long as I can remember, some historical reenacting and every day modern style.

My overall goal is to be a small step above tent camping. The PO has already removed the toilet and one is not going back in. We stay at state parks with shower amenities. Also, I will be removing the sink, potable water storage, and gas lines. I prefer to cook outside and the camper came with a small bottle propane stove. Eventually I would like to get a small table top electric burner or use a crock pot for when the weather is cold.

The needs to be replaced or fixed list:
    * All cabinets, the overlay is starting to separate.
    * Since the cabinets are coming out, might as well do the floor since I am already there. The PO just laid down peel and stick flooring over the vinyl.
    * There are several areas that have water damage, need to re-frame those areas, including the roof.
    * Wiring, inside and break / running lights.
    * Tires are dry rot and spare tire mounts needs to be tightened to frame.
    * Upper door latch system in travel mode needs to be replaced.
    * Make a table, one did not come with it.
    *All canvas, hopefully next year. It gives me time to look for a used canvas or a deal on one.

As I get into it all, I am sure that I am going to come across more that I don't even know about. I have a sewing machine so the interior fabric color will also change, but that hasn't even made the list right now.

I am thinking on using air mattresses on the bunk ends since that is what we use when tent camping and can stow them in storage are when not in use. Please let me know your opinions, good or bad.

I have been reading the resto thread and there are a lot of creative builders here with good ideas.

Between my dad and my brother's wood working skills and tools, we should be able to do it all.

Before 1.jpg Before 2.jpg Before 4.jpg Before 5.jpg Before 6.jpg Before 7.jpg Before 8.jpg Before 9.jpg

Since a palomino is a tan colored horse and horses sometimes have a crazy name, Peanut Butter Cup just seams to fit. My 12 year old daughter thought that was just the perfect name.

Thanks!
    Torry

hq308 and neighbormike like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Welcome and good luck with your projects!

95YJRio likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the project!

95YJRio likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks like you will be busy for awhile on the unit while you "make it your own"
    Good luck with the project and happy Camping

95YJRio likes this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Good luck on your renovations.

95YJRio likes this.
  6. 95YJRio

95YJRio New Member

I know this is not much of an update but I installed a frame mounted hitch on my truck. Soon I will start on the camper.

hq308 likes this.
  7. 95YJRio

95YJRio New Member

After about a month and a half, I finally have the title in hand from the PO. Long story short, the camper is a 1995 model not a 1999, according to the title. So that is a bit disappointing, but now I can start the repair / rebuild process.