99 Starcraft Spacemaster - Shelby Winch questions

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by jmatasov, May 21, 2017.

1. jmatasov

jmatasov "Never tell me the odds." -Han Solo

So I am rebuilding a Spacemaster and have it down to the bare frame. Got a good look at the winch and it looks a little rusty and rough. It is working fine, but I am wondering if there is any maintenance or care I can do to it to make it last a lot longer? Do any parts need lube or anything?[​IMG]

I ordered new lift cables since the old ones have rusted and seized up turnbuckles, and have my fingers crossed I will be able to get the threaded hex screws out of the drum so I can replace the cables.

2. jmatasov

UPDATE: A bit of dry lube and some new lifter cables and it's all set! Turns smoothly, and once I added lithium grease to all of the pulleys, everything is butter-smooth...[​IMG]

3. jzachary

jzachary New Member

Got a question for you. Is there a way you could give me a measurement of your roof height to the top edge of camper wall. Im pulling 4 different measurements and my 2000 starcraft classic top is definitely leaning to the road side

4. jmatasov

@jzachary - Well, I can when I get to that point. But right now my camper looks like this, so those measurements are a bit hard to come by... [:D]
    [​IMG]

Although I just replaced all of my lift cables, so my first raising will be...interesting to say the least...

5. jzachary

jzachary New Member

@jmatasov i see that lol. Thanks ill see if i cant find some measurements online somewhere

6. jmatasov

When I raise mine up I am going to adjust the turnbuckles underneath until the door top swings down and fits the bottom half comfortably, then I will adjust the rest to match that relative height.

Scrounging online i found a winch/lifter repair manual for a 1984-86 Starcraft camper. The setup looks exactly like my '99, so I am using that as a rough guide. I will edit this with a link to it when I get it it posted (or find the original link)

7. jzachary

jzachary New Member

jmatasov likes this.
  8. jmatasov

@jzachary - Here's where I found the winch/lifter info on older Starcraft Campers... 84-86 Starcraft Camper Cable Service and Installation

The only real differences I found was that I think my camper has more lifter segments, and the 'stop nuts' shown for adjusting the total overall raising and lowering of the camper in the pdf have been replaced with collars with set screws on my camper.

9. PDXPhil

PDXPhil New Member

Thanks for the pictures. My pop up, 1984 has the same winch. One cable to the winch is broken. How do the cables attach to the winch?
    Thanks

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The poster hasn't been on the portal since January 2018. You may find what you are looking for here.

11. davekro

davekro Member

Billy,
    Thanks for the PDF of the winch system. What the OP shows seems to be what is exactly on my '99 Stardust. I've read some place that some have 1-2 zirk grease fittings, But from my initial peak under I do not hink I have those. My winch looks exactly like the OP's pics. Is that the same winch you have (like OP's pics)?
    Have you heard there is any more lubricating than spraying silicone spray? I have done that to the (4) corner pulleys under the floor, and a bit from the sides of the winch itself, but I could probably do a better job there. I notice that my roof seems to have maybe on or two corners that are a bit lower than the other two (1" maybe?). Would that cause any, even small amount of binding to make the raising harder than need be? I have no idea what the normal amount of muscle it should take to crank the top of my 10 footer's roof.

Not sure how to have described the amount of muscle it 'should take'. At the risk of sounding sexist, should a child or small lady be able to rotate the crank without straining?

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

My winch looks like the one in the pictures and PDF. The handle has a small sort of oval opening that slides over the shaft. We have a 12' box with a Coleman AC one top. My wife "can" crank it, but finds it a bit more strenuous than she likes. A teen through older adult in decent shape should be able to raise it without great effort. Mine is pretty much even when raised, the back side may be a smidgen lower as the AC condensation drips on that side. I take that as a plus because the kids aren't tracking through the wet dirt into the camper. If there are grease fitting I haven't found them.

I really have done much with the lift system. Used spray lube on all moving parts. I did loosen one of the cable the first trip out because one corner was higher than the others. Turns out the cable had some how gotten crossed with another cable.

13. davekro

davekro Member

Oh, thanks for that ‘crossed cable’ mention. I’ll see if I can check for that before attempting to adjust. I did no the read thru the PDF, but I I imagine it describes how to adjust the the heights. Is all the adjustment done via the turnbuckles I see under the box on the cable(s)? Doesn’t seem like a lot of adjustment distance, but maybe it is only +/- an inch on each cable.