A/C leaking

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by galderman, Aug 22, 2014.

1. galderman

galderman New Member

We set up finally in a cg in our new to us pop up. We driveway camped or several days with no issues. Now that we are actually at a camp ground our Carrier A/C is leaking inside from where the dials are. It is 90 deg outside. Why is it leaking now when we had no issues when set up at home. The previous owner had the a/c cranked too prior to is buying and no leaks.

2. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

It is likely condensation from the AC that is draining on to the roof and leaking at the AC gasket. For the short term, I would have the trailer shortly off level, meaning a little nose high and a little high on the curb side. You should not be so off level that it would affect the lift system or the refrigerator, but just so the water can run off freely.
    Second, for the short term, tighten the four hold down bolts that hold the AC unit to the roof. You will need to remove the inside cover to expose the bolts. They do not need to be muscled down tight, but just good and snugged up. If you have a helper to hold the inside cover you can do it without taking any of the wiring lose.
    Lastly, for the long term you may want to consider replacing the gasket if it is more than five years old. That is not a really hard job and there are several post on how to do it. You can do it without completely taking the unit off the roof if you get creative. You can live the unit with some pry bars and work it up on both sides until you can set the unit on some 4 X 4 blocks and replace the gasket through the hole in the roof. Then it can be sat right back down where it belongs. If you have a helper, just slide an 8 foot long 2X4 under the front and back, lift the unit with one person on each side of the popup and walk it off the top. That works pretty easy.

3. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Great post Allen. I think I will give these ideas more thought. I always worried how I would be able to replace the gasket. I think youhave given me some great ideas and I will search the forum for some posts on this and pictures. Thx. :)

4. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.

5. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

check the pan also. I found a couple of places that it could leak in if the condensor pan overfilled or got clogged.

6. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Thanks everyone this helped me too. From the show me state.

7. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Good advice. Did mine last yr.

8. galderman

galderman New Member

Thanks for the answer! We are pulling out of the campground today and will work on this as soon as we get home. Only found a few issues with the water bein the biggest problem. Could not get the fridge to work which will be our next project.