A/C Maintenance

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by generok, Jul 11, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Just got back from a week trip to Dawson City, YT and it was really hot, in the 90's a couple of days. So, we cranked the A/C and it worked ok. One night I decided to check the filter and I noticed the divider between the inlet and outlet had shifted some, so I put it back in place and put the filter back on.

A few days later, we're on our last leg back home and we're in Tolsona, AK and it is 91 degrees and we have no shade, but 30 amps, so we crank the A/C. It holds the inside at 86 and doesn't budge for like 4 hours. So, once again I pull the filter and this time the divider had moved way over and kind of got sucked up into the inlet air. So, I moved it back over, and it blew a lot harder and colder, and soon we're coming down to 78 degrees.

So, when I got home, I was going to add some true duct tape to keep the divider in place, which I did after removing the whole plate over the A/C unit inside the rig. Once I did that, I noticed three of the four long bolts were not tight against the inside flange that holds the unit to the roof. So, I tightened them down enough to better compress the gasket, and then the divider was in there nicely (but I still had a little tape to make sure).

So, I guess the lesson is to check those bolts every so often. I had no leaks or anything, but at least it isn't bouncing around on the gasket any longer. I also went up and rinsed the condenser coils, but it didn't look like there was any dust on them anyway.

So the next time we run in to 90's in Alaska, we'll be ready. Today is 59 for a high, so we're back to normal.

HappyTraveler, xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

3. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Makes sense, all that bumping and rattling, just like an earthquake. Good reminder to check those bolts.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I am glad you found and fixed the problem. Thanks for sharing,

5. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

My motor home of days past had the same bolt problem; mounting bolts coming loose over time on my rooftop AC. My unit was a Coleman Mach something. Owners Manual recommended checking once a year. Glad you found yours before it cut the gasket like mine did.