A/C Noise level

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by jms336, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jms336

jms336 We are there yet!

Am I the only one that finds it too loud? Mine is a Coleman Mach unit, and it roars (to my ears) even on low. Are some quieter than others?

2. wardog

wardog Member

I can't say that mine bothers me that much but it is not quiet. In Texas it is so hot when camping sometimes that it really doesn't bother me. It's more like when you finally get in the pup and turn on the A/C it's music to the ears. [;)]

3. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

When I was a kid we did not have center A/C in the house. We eventially got a big window unit A/C in the front room of the house. It was pretty loud. After my sister moved out, I got my own bedroom, (or should I say I got a bedroom). I can remember when I finally talked my mom into getting me a window unit for my bedroom. Again, that thing was loud. So, I guess I got used to sleeping with a window unit. It is sort of funny when December rolls around and you don't need the window unit any longer. At that point, it is so quite you can't sleep.

The one thing I do not like about sleeping with the A/C in the popup is that it drowns out some of the sounds of nature. I love listening to the owls as I fall asleep at night and waking up to the birds singing in the morning.

4. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I'm with ya there, Alan. Gotta have that "white noise" to sleep well. Heck, we run a fan in the house year round for the noise. DW and I both grew up working the night shift...sleeping during the day....had to have some noise to sleep during the day.

5. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

I never noticed. But, then again....I have slept with a TV on all night every night since I was about 8 years old so noise and sleep go together for me :)

6. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR Member

Yes, they are loud.
    I am the unhappy owner of a 13,500 BTU rooftop A/C unit that blows ice cold air and then SHUTS OFF. Fan and all, not just the compressor. The Pup then has to get uncomfortably hot before the A/C (Compressor and Fan) turns back on. The fan does not continue to run while the Compressor cycles on and off. The Dealer has given me the run-around for 2 Years now, and Dometic claims "The Manual is printed wrong."

I paid an additional $700 +/- to have A/C installed. I sure wouldn't have agreed to a unit that works like this. We can't use it at night because turning the damn thing on and off wakes us up. [:(!]
    I run it on A/C until we're ready to crawl into bed, then I switch it over to FAN ONLY for the background noise and a little circulation. Gets really humid in Ohio, and a "Fluffy" person such as myself needs his A/C!

I would love to know how to rewire the thing to make it perform like Every Other A/C Unit On The Planet!!!!

7. EV2

EV2 Member

You are correct in that every model we have had was LOUD. That being said, it is interesting how often someone will reference not wanting the noise of one of the quiet Honda gensets to run the a/c. I am not referencing someone without air in an adjoining site, but we have never heard the Honda when the a/c is operating, no matter where it is placed.

8. jms336

jms336 We are there yet!

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will just live with it and be thankful we have it. Here in FL, it is required equipment for most of the year. We really like being able to open the camper up and enjoy the breeze, but when it is 95 degrees A/C is the only thing that will keep you comfortable.

9. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

another vote here for "music to my ears" (and sweat pores)

[perhaps some references to not wanting the generator's noise, is when there are neighbors. you may not here it above your interior A/C, but the neighbors might?]

10. phipps

phipps Member

I've noticed the AC is a lot louder inside the camper than outside. I guess it's the air rushing our.

11. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

our jayco a/c does not put out a lot of noise. But it was the main thing that sold me on the pup...tent camper for years, dw convinced me to try a pup, actually we bought our pup and I had never been in another one.....but that first night, after taking a shower after dinner and retiring to a big soft bunk and the a/c purring keeping us cool (actually cold) enough for heavy blanket...I was in camper heaven....I sleep much better in the pup than I do in my own bed, and i think its because of the hum of the a/c...

12. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We have only tested our A/C and thought it was loud. Too loud to use, as a matter of fact. We've been lucky that we've gotten cool enough weather that we haven't felt the need to turn it on. During the day, we're out and about, so we're not getting too warm in the pup.

We've been on trips where we've heard the big rv's A/C running, and they were 5 or more sites away.

We all like to sleep and wake listening to the sounds of nature, and I'm sure that having the a/c on would take that away. It's so nice to talk with the kids over breakfast about hearing the owls at night.

It will be interesting to see which we can put up with more - being hot or the noise - when we eventually have to use the A/C. . . .

13. 2002Trooper4me

2002Trooper4me New Member

This thread interests me greatly as I am shopping for a A/C unit and noise and power consumsion are my two biggest concerns. Keep those comments coming guys and gals.

Does anyone have an A/C unit that they would recommend for or against?

14. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

Ditto 2002Trooper4me! We're in the same place of interest.

15. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR Member

This one is a Dometic DuoTherm.

16. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

I have the same experience with ours. I feel like wow I must be disturbing the neighbors. I go outside for a minute and have to poke my head back inside to make sure it's still running. We usually turn ours off at night unless its really hot and humid. We run it during the heat of the day as more of an escape, again, if its really H/H. We are the same way with the furnace. I would much rather run a small electric that has a consistent hum rather than the cycling on and off.

ms