A/c problems....freezing up....can u help?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by k-t-did, Jun 24, 2013.

1. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I have a "coolcat" (under the sink mounted heat pump/ac) in my Dutchmen pup. Took it out camping for the first time in three years...since total roof rebuild.... When I plugged it in the ac roared to life and froze us to death if we stood in front of it. Fast forward to middle of the night....started getting WARM up in the pup! Went to the ac.....and it was blowing but only moderately cool air... Probably just the fan blowing air over the ENORMOUS ICEBERG I could see behind the grill on the front! Literally, the rectangular part behind the grill was a block of ice. Turned it off, let it melt. Restarted, but battled the iceberg all weekend and never got super cold again. Froze quickly.

Ok, here were circumstances:

--Louisiana. Hot (90's....maybe bumping 100...in the middle of the day) and humid and wet like a swamp.
    --shady but un-level spot. Leveled very well with boards but the low side of the site was away from ac drain tube...wonder if condensation wasn't flowing out well bc of the pitch of the site? Saw what I considered to be not enough dripping going on for the amount of ice generated.
    -- that first night when it froze so badly I had the thermostat Waaay down, kinda as an oversight, honestly. But fan on continuously. After that kept thermostat at 75 or so....trying to not make it work so hard.

Ok....I am very handy for a girl....love my power tools and such, but lean more towards carpentry than mechanics....so speaks slowly and describe stuff rather than name it. Ie: that metal ribbed thing.....versus ....the hydro-dynamic modulator. :p

Thanks in advance!

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

If it has a filter, clean it. Airflow could be the problem.

Other than that, low on refrigerant.

3. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

I agree I am a HVAC mechanic.
    1.Check the filter--if its dirty clean it.
    2.Check the coil behind the filter to see if its dirty and if it is use a brush to get dirty off.
    3.then make sure the fans are running.
    4.If the filters and coils are clean and the fans are running then it is propably low on freon.
    To charge them ac units you might have to put a piercing valve on it then charge.
    Hope this helps you and anyone else.

4. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

^^ Agreed. I had the same situation with my home Heat Pump/AC unit. Turned out, I was low on refrigerant.

5. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Thanks for the replies! There is an opening in the back of the unit outside with a grill over it.... Warm air blows from it when its running. Is the metal behind that the coil? I don't see a removable filter, like in a house....

6. 3sons

there is a coil behind that grill and also one on the inside front of the unit behind the plastic cover. The filter should be right in front of the inside coil.

7. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I am not a HVAC guy, just a average guy, I have a question though. If its low on Freon doesn't that mean it has a leak somewhere.

8. 3sons

yes if it is low on freon it does have a leak somewhere.

9. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Don't mean to hi jack the thread, but we are out camping and having the same issue with our duo therm rooftop system , the evap is freezing over and so are the coils, paid a mobile RV guy to come look at it , without taking much apart , he "guessed" that it's clogged internally , also, the fan is spinning as it should , but it doesn't have no where near the same cfm as it used too , the RV guy said that I will need a whole new unit , I'm hoping that isn't the case

10. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Not sure how or why, but the fan motor was running in reverse , turned it off, and noticed the squirrel cage going the wrong direction, spun it the correct way and turned it on, working perfectly now, no freezing, and awesome air flow

Go figure !

11. Jacque122

Jacque122 New Member

We have a Duthman with that same unit. Ours quit this weekend he got looking it was wired in the wrong way. We have had the freezing up problem also plus he took the inside cover off it was full of dirt and grime.

12. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Dead on.

13. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Yes. Look for an oily spot....