A/C problems.. oh goodness this could be bad..

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jul 9, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Well after our FIRST backyard camping we have found that our A/C is leaking...(after it is turned off). We originally thought it was from a bad storm, but now that we have spent a day and night in it, we KNOW it is the a/c.

We have two problems to solve now: .. "maybe someone has a suggestion?"

First problem: When the a/c is running, the water/condensation? runs IN FRONT of the PUP at the door.. you often get some unexpected little drops of water when going in or out of the PUP.. I saw a post a while back about using a POOL NOODLE, but not sure how you might attach that?

2nd problem.. MORE SERIOUS PROBLEM.. ugg.

After I took the "filter cover" off. I found this in the corner. It looks bigger in the picture than it actually is.. but it looks serious?

I am almost afraid to ask.. IS this fixable without going to a dealer?

OH goodness, my camping days may be over before I even get started.. (very sad now)

20180709_082931.jpg

Thanks for your input..

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I think you need a new A/C seal. They are sub $20 but a dealer will charge you about $100.

As for condensation, try raising the front just a bit. That will redirect the runoff to the back...

landon6062 likes this.
  3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Ok I will try raising the front just a little.. that sounds like a good idea..

quote: I think you need a new A/C seal. They are sub $20 but a dealer will charge you about $100.

Omgoodness.. thank you, .. I hope that is all I need.. . I guess the best thing is to try that first..

After that, I wonder if I should try to fill in the gaps that is created, to water seal it, with " LOCTITE "TITE FOAM" it is an insulating foam made for "gaps and cracks".. I guess we will see after we change the a/c seal..

My daughter told me to try to remain Optimistic.. I am certainly trying to be optimistic on this one..

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I think you need to remove the a.c. and see the extant of the damages, take more pictures then! A little hole might not be too bad! You just have to make sure the hole is watertight!

landon6062 and nineoaks2004 like this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like the seal , check the 4 bolts (1 in each corner of the AC after you remove the cowling inside), they might be loose if so then tighten them evenly. Do not try to seal it with anything it will make matters worse. I agree with Sjm9911 you need to address the leak. If you need to remove the AC unit you might as well get a new seal and install it when you replace the AC. Replacing the seal is really an easy job and only takes a couple of hours to do. .

landon6062 likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a rotten roof from a AC gasket leak. I will not be surprised if you find more damage that appears when you pull the AC to replace the gasket.

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thanks everyone... yes we will do all of those : )

8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Replacing the seal is really an easy job... thank goodness, I am glad to at least hear that..

thank you

9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

If I might ask a couple more questions, please..

1. How do I find out which a/c unit I have for the FLEETWOOD, Niagara. would it be a coleman a/c?

2.. How do you replace this "gasket" without standing on the PUP top? which I was told was bad to do...

I watched this video.. is it a good instructional video?

thanks donna

jnc and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Here is a picture of the a/c, I know it is a COLEMAN.. IS there a universal gasket that I can order?. OR Can anyone tell the type, by just looking at the pictures? I need to know what Gasket to order.. 20180627_153720.jpg 20180621_125520.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

it will take a 14" gasket

12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

13. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Yes

14. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

landon6062 likes this.
  15. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thank you very much .. I just wasn't sure if they were universal or specific to the unit..Specs on the a/c were not included in my manual...

Crossing my fingers that this will be a fix for us..

Matt Benoit likes this.
  16. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

After you remove the screws around the control panel trim on the ac inside the trailer, there will be 4 large bolts. These bolts go through the interior support bracket, and up into the ac. The pup roof is sandwiched between the ac on top and the support bracket inside. When properly toughened, the 4 long bolts compress the foam gasket under the ac creating a water tight seal. More than likely your seal has failed. After the 4 bolts are removed, the ac unit is just sitting on top of the roof. Lower the roof all the way, and you should be able to reach the ac by standing at the back of the trailer...a small ladder or step stool might help. The old seal may have to be scraped off of the bottom of the ac unit. The new seal has double sided tape on one face, stick that to the ac and place it back onto the roof over the hole. Reinstall the 4 bolts and support bracket. Making sure to compress the foam gasket some. Connect the wiring, reinstall the control panel trim and you're done.

landon6062 likes this.
  17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

THANK YOU for the detailed instructions..truly appreciate it

18. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

take off the shroud, there be a sticker giving the particulars on the AC, Coleman ACs are made by Airxcel.

I have seen instructions to either compress the gasket by 50% of the original thickness. or compress 40% of the original thickness, i.e if the gasket is 1 in thick, compress until the .6 in. Almost the same, so I would probably start with 40%

19. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Your roof is Aluminum, so I would guess this just a chip in the interior ceiling panel.

landon6062 likes this.
  20. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Hi Mstrbill... thank you

It does appear to be a chip in the interior. we inspected it pretty good yesterday and it is NOT soggy or soaked, there is no stain around it. It seems to be ISOLATED to that one spot.

I feeling pretty good right now that if we replace the seal it will turn out well. As I said, the hole looks really big in the picture, but it is actually about the size of a "screwdriver" end, maybe.

It took a while to determine where the water was coming from.. THE STORMS or the A/C... We know at least now, some of it certainly was from the a/c. We have it up in the yard, with a bucket under the leak now. Waiting to see what happens when the next rain comes to make sure that isn't leaking in from the roof as well. (we don't want the beds wet)

Ordered the gasket, it is on the way..

Thanks EVERYONE, I really appreciate your help, feeling much better about these repairs now..... Being so ignorant of these things, I would have totally had to go to the RV repair shop. I was expecting hundreds of dollar in a repair shop. I hope one day to be able to return the blessing to someone else.. : )

.. "YOU GUYS really saved me on this one." ..