A/C vs. Bunk End Fans

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by ra05ea, May 29, 2018.

1. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

I'd like A/C but don't have it due to the cost of an install. I made my own pop-up Gizmo and they work great. I also try to find a site with a lot of shade...

2. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I live in south Louisiana so an AC is mandatory in the summer. With the heat index today, the temp is around 105. We camped about 2 weeks ago and put the AC on high and it got it down to 69 degrees and it was around 94 outside. I also use the emergency blankets from Walmart that I clip over the bunk ends. It provides some shade to the inside of the camper and they only cost $12 each.

[​IMG]

3. ra05ea

ra05ea New Member

I might try 'roughing it' with some non-A/C options prior to caving to A/C. We'll see how it goes. Appreciate all of your responses - thanks!

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Or you might spring for the world's first personal a/c watch. 617ccc5712340ffa71971d226c46544b_original.png

5. davido

davido Active Member

Step one: Get Popup Gizmos and use them. They will help it to remain tolerable inside the trailer on 80+ degree days, if you can open the windows for some cross breeze. Gizmos will cost you $150 (I've forgotten exactly so I'm guessing). You're going to use the Gizmos even if you later decide to go with air conditioning.

Step two: Use the bunk fan(s) and a rooftop vent fan in exhaust mode. Particularly the latter will draw air from outside while pushing hot air out the roof vent. Of course if it's already uncomfortably hot outside this will be of reduced value, which is where bunk-end fans can help: Moving air feels cooler than stagnant air.

Step three: Decide whether you will be camping with electrical hookups often enough to justify spending $1000 on an air conditioner and installation. Don't be tempted to use a window air conditioner -- they usually cannot keep up with the rate of heat transfer a Popup trailer endures. Roof top air conditioners come in 13kbtu and 15kbtu versions. I have a 13kbtu model, and it is plenty powerful for our 12' box. $1000 is a lot to spend but if you will keep the trailer long enough to feel ok with the expense, and if you camp in locations that provide electrical hookups, air conditioning can be great.

DigitalGuru and theseus like this.
  6. Birdawg

Birdawg Member

AC AC AC , it's a must here in the south.

7. Luis Perez

Luis Perez New Member

Thanks for your advice. I just read it. I have a 2015 Starcraft Comet 1221 and it comes without a/c. I live in south Florida, so it is a must. Any recommendations to install the new ac unit? Thanks.

8. davido

davido Active Member

For camping without hookups, you will want Popup Gizmos, and fans.

For camping with hookups, AC is great, and still Popup Gizmos are a worthwhile investment.

Remember that if you don't have electrical hookups, you won't be running the AC; it's not going to work with battery power. And it's unlikely you would want to also invest in a 3k or pair of 2k generators and blast the campground all day long with generator noise.

Start with the cheap solution: Gizmos and fans. If that turns out to not be enough, you can always add AC later. That is one job I'd probably pay someone to do. I'm not confident putting big holes in the roof.

9. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

We live in Michigan and do not have AC in our popup, and we prefer it that way. However, we only choose sites that list that they are full/partially shaded to help with the heat. We also have popup gizmos (which aren't just great for deflecting the sun but they keep our popup canvas spotless from bird droppings, sap drips, and other debris), the standard light/fan coleman fans (which truthfully don't do much), and I also bought fans from Walmart that I run an extension cord under the mattress and clip on the overhead bunk end bar. They move a lot of air and are much more quiet than the fan/light combo ones. These are similar to what I have:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-...ustable-Head-Two-Quiet-Speeds-Black/748850289

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I say it entirely depends on where you camp. If your normally camp where it's hot and humid than AC is pretty much the only way to go. Fans work if the humidity isn't terribly bad and there is a breeze outside. When I'm dry camping (camping without utilities) I open all the windows on the popup to get a great cross ventilation and a decent fan. Bunk end fans don't throw enough air in my opinion but I bought a larger battery operated fan than works well. I seek out places to camp like the beach/lake that usually give you a fair amount of breeze or in the mountains higher elevation usually cooler temps. I can go through half the summer without using my AC myself , but everyone has a different tolerance and camp at different environments. I'm not comfortable if there is high humidity so I prefer having the AC then. I could probably get by without having a rooftop AC and only use a portable unit. However storage is a problem for me, lack of counter space and because my mom has a medical condition that causes her to have a very low tolerance for heat I felt a rooftop unit was the wiser choice. Although I bought my camper with AC already. I did look into adding an AC on my old popup. The AC itself was close to $600+ and the shop estimated about $400- $600 to install. Your RV shops may be cheaper as I live in the city costs are usually far higher.

Raycfe likes this.
  11. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Member

i think it's great to have AC as an option so i made sure to get a pup with it. it works better than i could have hoped - on low setting it is almost too cold for me. i will say there are cons tho:

1. it's so damn loud inside! i don't think i could hear a plane over-head, much less nature outside while it's running.

2. it blows right on the bunk ends - which i think many would think is a good thing - but i hate it. i can't stand to be directly blasted with cold air. the directional vents can't be turned far enough away to not blow on the bunks.

3. you have to zip everything up. probably my favorite thing about pups is having all the windows open, being able to see and hear thru the screens. all of that is gone when mine is zipped up. it also means that i have to turn on interior lights. i wish my pup had more clear "window" sides and then i could darken by pulling shades if i needed it.

"and that’s all I have to say about that" ;-)

12. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter New Member

Some of y'all must have some big pop ups if you have to cool "the other end".

If you're good with getting an ac installed, do it. You can buy a portable ac, but you'd have to make something for the vent and drain.

13. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

First camper had no A/C. Was fine in the shoulder seasons but for the dog days of summer especially at sites in full sun there was no retreat from the heat. The bunk end fans just moved around already hot air.